Honeymoon Discussions

Not too keen on flying...

I live in southern California, and my fiancé and I are looking for a great honeymoon location that's within driving distance... I'd say up to 8-10 hours away max.

Any recommendations?

thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Not too keen on flying...

• Have you considered the train? I've taken Amtrak up and down the west coast and it is lovely.
  • Have you considered a cruise? Being in Southern California there has to be a port nearby to catch a cruise ship.

• What time of year would you be traveling?

• I love the train, took Amtrak from Fullerton, CA all the way to Chicago, IL. He loves trains too...

Future Husband gets horribly sea sick, so I'll pass on the cruise idea.

We're getting married in 19 days, so preferably after that, but right now we're planning on going in February/March.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• What time of year? Sedona, AZ is really pretty and has tons of great spas.
  • Try the SOAR program....I'm terrified of flying and it has helped me immensely.
  • kat1114 said:
    What time of year? Sedona, AZ is really pretty and has tons of great spas.
    This.  I haven't been, but I've heard lots of great things about Sedona.

Also, is the flying a fear?  I HATE flying.....I am terrified of takeoffs.   I have anxiety every time I have to get on a flight, usually starting about a week before.  I just try and tell myself over and over that the flight crew does this day in and day out and they're fine.  It helps, but my fear is still there.  That said, I refuse to let it stop me from traveling.  DH and I are avid travelers.  Our honeymoon included 7 flights.  This year alone I will have been on 12 flights.
  • I've been to Sedona, but he hasn't, so that's definitely an option. I used to never have a problem flying, in fact I loved it, but one flight with horrible turbulence changed that LOL

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• You're in So Cal, you have so many options here!

City- San Fran

Coast- San Diego

Wine- Napa or Solvang 

History- Hearst Castle (pairs well with wine vacation)

Nature- Yosemite

Sedona is still sort of warm this time of year, but not bad.
  • True, SoCal has options, but I've really seen everything on your list except Hearst Castle... Looking for something different, and romantic. :)

Possibly thinking Catalina Island, since we've never been there...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If you went to Sedona, you could also spend a night or two in Jerome. It's a cute little quirky town with a few awesome wine tasting rooms. FI and I stayed a cute B&B there two years ago and loved it. 

Sedona is also pretty close to some actual wineries (don't laugh, AZ actually makes some pretty good wine!).

If you're planning on going in February or March, it will be a little chilly (highs in the mid to low 60s), but I consider anything under 70 to be chilly. If you are going in the next month or so, the weather will be warm, but not too hot.

• True, SoCal has options, but I've really seen everything on your list except Hearst Castle... Looking for something different, and romantic. :)

Possibly thinking Catalina Island, since we've never been there...

That would be a lovely option! Hearst Castle is wonderful. I think it is super romantic as is the whole area around it. I really like Avila Beach and the Avila VIllage Inn. There's a lot of tiny coastal towns with very cute lodging options and great food. SLO has some wineries too. I've been all over CA and it woudl be between here and Monterey for my favorite towns.
  • edited October 2014
    I just saw your reply to SBmini, so you probably won't be into this since you've seen many places in CA, but one of the best and most romantic trips that FI and I have ever taken together was driving down HWY 1 from SF to LA (I'm assuming you'd be going the other way, though I think what helped make it great was driving right along the water). I think that HWY 1 is one of the most beautiful drives in the world and there are so many great, coastal towns to stop along the way. Hearst Castle is definitely a must-see, though I'm not sure if I would recommended just that for a honeymoon unless you're pairing it up with other things in the area (the drive, small towns and beaches, wineries, etc.)

ETA: I might be biased, though, because SF is one of my favorite cities.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards