Chit Chat

Bizarre Wedding / Shower Gifts

I just had my shower this past weekend and I'm extremely grateful for everything I received. But somebody got me a mini pretzel maker, saying that everybody needs a fun, single-function kitchen toy. I just don't see myself using it... 

What's even weirder is that the girl's mom said she almost bought it too, but then phoned her daughter and discovered her daughter had already bought it. At least I didn't end up with two mini pretzel makers?

What were the oddest gifts that you received for your shower/wedding?

Re: Bizarre Wedding / Shower Gifts

• Two things: a neighbor got us 2 pots (like for outdoor plants) I kill plants, so I don't know what that is about. My sister also got us hand-painted ice cream bowls. They were really random, and not that pretty. It was one of those things where she did it because she wanted to be different, I guess. We don't use them.
  • I didn't get anything too out there. Probably the weirdest thing I received was from my own aunt who gave a few vintage kitchen towels with a vintage chip and dip rotating tray set. The tray set is pretty sweet, but the towels are just, enh. I really don't have a desire for country style dish towels from the 70's.

Anniversary
  • This wasn't a wedding or shower gift. Just a random thing my bought for us before the wedding. She bought us sex dice.
  • I got three (not four) fiesta themed place mats from a neighbor. They match nothing and again there are only three so they don't really work, buuuuut she's a sweet lady so of course we'll pull them out whenever we know she'll be coming by. lol I also received a small wooden bowl. (Not like a big salad bowl, just a tiny wooden bowl that could hold an egg) It currently holds loose change in a drawer.
  • Everything I got at the shower was off the registry r something household-ey. But the da before my wedding, I got a gift from a complete stranger. The gift wasn't weird, just the situation. I've talked about this before but my mom was duagnosed with terminal cancer before my wedding so we gad cancelled it and planned a new one. We also had a huge party for my mom and it ended up that the party was the day before the wedding. Some woman gives me a bears ice bucket (apparently she knew I'm a big bears fan...?) and mr. And mrs. Engraved forks. Luckily she put her address in the card so I could send a thank you.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • None of this was wedding related and by itself the gifts were harmless. The reasoning made them weird.

Old used rotisserie from FMIL for my bday because FI deserves a home cooked meal. I am actually a good cook and make a damn good roast chicken without extra crap taking up cabinet space.

She also tried to "gift" me her old Hamilton beach stand up mixer so I could return my kitchen aid since they're the same thing. FI was worried I was about to kick her out of the house.

My BFF bought me a veggie peeler and kitchen scissors as part of my Christmas gift last year. They were both specialy designed for people who are left handed. She's left handed, I'm not. She had gotten so used to looking for left hand products she didn't even think about it
  • We didn't want gifts, so didn't get too much (towels, a couple etchings for the kitchen), but my MOH decided to do an underwear thing at my stagette, where everyone brought a pair of underwear and I had to guess who they were from.  One girl brought this black one piece thing, with a thong, a piece of fabric up the front of my stomach ending on boob cupels (didn't over the whole boob) that fastened around my neck.  I knew immediately who it was from, cos I know her sense of humour.  I think I put it on once to show DH for a laugh.  

• I got a candle holder shaped as a lizard along with 'scentsy bar' that smells like root beer. I'm not entirely sure what this thing is, but apparently I need a 'scentsy warmer' to use it. I don't have that...

It came from my great aunt who I was just happy to see at the shower. It was incredibly nice of her to think of me and to come since she hasn't been well and I haven't seen her in years.
  • I got a microwave milk frother. Not sure what to do with it. She used to own a kitchen shop and is known for giving people random kitchen gadgets.

Oh- and a "system" for cooking spaghetti in the microwave. It only works with spaghetti too- don't try rotini or anything crazy like that. Odd....
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I got a microwave milk frother. Not sure what to do with it. She used to own a kitchen shop and is known for giving people random kitchen gadgets. Oh- and a "system" for cooking spaghetti in the microwave. It only works with spaghetti too- don't try rotini or anything crazy like that. Odd....
    CAPPUCCINOS. YASSSS.
    eyeroll
  • I got a microwave milk frother. Not sure what to do with it. She used to own a kitchen shop and is known for giving people random kitchen gadgets.

Oh- and a "system" for cooking spaghetti in the microwave. It only works with spaghetti too- don't try rotini or anything crazy like that. Odd....

What's with all the microwave stuff?

@ilovecake84‌ My mom has a Scentsy warmer. It's a scent diffuser type of thing. She used to be really into it, but I don't think she uses it too much anymore.

• ilovecake84ilovecake84 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2014

I got a microwave milk frother. Not sure what to do with it. She used to own a kitchen shop and is known for giving people random kitchen gadgets.

What's with all the microwave stuff?

@ilovecake84‌ My mom has a Scentsy warmer. It's a scent diffuser type of thing. She used to be really into it, but I don't think she uses it too much anymore.
    I had now idea what it was when I got it. Was wondering where the wick was because I thought it might be a candle lol. Not really sure why anyone would want their house to smell like root beer...
  • I think what struck me as weirdest was getting $140 from a friend for the wedding. Seemed like such a strange amount.

• I think what struck me as weirdest was getting $140 from a friend for the wedding. Seemed like such a strange amount.
    I just divided $140 by 18, thinking your friend is Jewish and hoping for a round number.  Nope.  I've got no idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• This reminded me. My FIL and step MIL have little to no excess money but try to be generous at holidays. It's often obvious that gifts are regifted or just "off". A few years ago they gave me a best buy gift card. Great. I go there and there was $3.58 on the card. Three dollars and fifty eight cents. H and I laughed out asses off.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2014
    I got a microwave milk frother. Not sure what to do with it. She used to own a kitchen shop and is known for giving people random kitchen gadgets. Oh- and a "system" for cooking spaghetti in the microwave. It only works with spaghetti too- don't try rotini or anything crazy like that. Odd....
    What's with all the microwave stuff? @ilovecake84‌ My mom has a Scentsy warmer. It's a scent diffuser type of thing. She used to be really into it, but I don't think she uses it too much anymore.
    I had now idea what it was when I got it. Was wondering where the wick was because I thought it might be a candle lol. Not really sure why anyone would want their house to smell like root beer...
    @ilovecake84. My mom gave me a scentsy warmer and I really like it.  It's basically a ceramic/clay/idk-what-they-make-it-from thing with a light bulb in it that you plug in.There's a little matching dish that sits on top that you place a piece of the bar in.  It essentially works like a candle.  The light bulb melts the wax and lets the scent out. 

The warmers come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, so it's really easy to get one to match your decor.

But, a root beer-scented wax is really odd.  I don't want my house smelling like root beer.
  • I didn't have a shower so I just got a few cards with cash for wedding gifts. But for my housewarming party a few years ago, my aunt gave me the most random silver metal fish plate. Shaped like a fish and not really big enough to serve anything in, it was just so strange. It wasn't even a gift giving party- just a casual cook out. 

• An old friend of my parents bought us a solid metal doorbell (like to go outside by our frontdoor) with a very poorly rendered cat on it.  It weighs about 5lb all by itself.  We love our cats, but I don't need anyone coming to my door thinking we're crazy cat people.
  • So H's aunt is notorious for her gift giving.  I sincerely think that she thinks she gives the best gifts ever.  One year for Christmas a few years ago she gave H a pack of caps to put on your bicycle tires so the air doesn't come out because those pesky things get lost and everyone needs a pack of those - wth?  When's the last time he rode a bike?! lol   Anyways... for the shower I got one pillow case, just one.  And granted she hand made it but it's so small, it's about half the size a normal bed pillow is, it looks more like I should use it for the pillows on my couch... I just don't know....

Maybe they were going for 150 but didn't have a 10? That is kind of odd.
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • duhitsd said:
    I think what struck me as weirdest was getting $140 from a friend for the wedding. Seemed like such a strange amount.
    That's what I was thinking.  Was it cash?  Did they hit up an ATM that only spit 20s and didn't want to exceed 150 lol.

• Inkdancer said:

I got a microwave milk frother. Not sure what to do with it. She used to own a kitchen shop and is known for giving people random kitchen gadgets.

CAPPUCCINOS. YASSSS.

In theory, yes. My mom later mentioned that the same friend gave her one for Christmas and it worked well enough to go into the recycling.

I'm puzzling over the microwave stuff too. Had FI not already owned one, I would be against even having one!
  • Reading this has been interesting. My shower is next weekend & I wonder if I'll get any animal-shaped candle holders or doorbells! 
  • We got some weird check amounts from friends, H & I were like ok, the number is odd.  We got an odd amount too from H's cousin's family and they explained the odd amount in the card that it had to do with some Jewish tradition( I forget what, but some multiple of some number bringing luck.).  We looked back on checks with strange amounts and sure enough they were Jewish.

We got an odd wedding gift from a friend of mine, they were hanging ornaments not Christmas ones, just regular ornaments.  I still don't know where to put them without my cats being assholes and breaking them...

Anniversary

• duhitsd said:
    I think what struck me as weirdest was getting $140 from a friend for the wedding. Seemed like such a strange amount.
    That's what I was thinking.  Was it cash?  Did they hit up an ATM that only spit 20s and didn't want to exceed 150 lol.
    Nope, it was a check.

• duhitsd said:
    Nope, it was a check.
    $140 is odd. We got $201 from a friend, but she is Indian- apparently in their culture they give odd amounts (we asked!) because even is bad luck. Doesn't solve your mystery, though.
  • sarahufl said:
    duhitsd said:
    Nope, it was a check.
    $140 is odd. We got $201 from a friend, but she is Indian- apparently in their culture they give odd amounts (we asked!) because even is bad luck. Doesn't solve your mystery, though.
    I've heard of that, the 18 thing with Jewish people, and that lots of 8s are good luck in Chinese culture. But nothing that would explain $140 from a standard white bread couple. A generous gift, just so strange. Maybe when they get married next year I'll give them $142.50 so they can scratch their heads too.
    Maybe they used one of those weird wedding gift calculators and that's the amount it produced. 
  • ElcaB said:
    sarahufl said:
    duhitsd said:
    Nope, it was a check.
    I've heard of that, the 18 thing with Jewish people, and that lots of 8s are good luck in Chinese culture. But nothing that would explain $140 from a standard white bread couple. A generous gift, just so strange. Maybe when they get married next year I'll give them $142.50 so they can scratch their heads too.
    Maybe they used one of those weird wedding gift calculators and that's the amount it produced. 
    Wait wut?! WTH is that? 

• H and I plan to give his best man $301.00 at his wedding in a few weeks just to say we out-did his gift to us. As a joke. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards