November 2014 Weddings

accessorizing the dress

I'm so so bad at this. I think FI may be buying me a pearl necklace for my wedding gift (either ivory or black pearls). I'm forgoing a veil and opting for a crystal headband instead (will pearls look odd with a crystal headband). Also it's cold here in november, it could be a mild chill of 50 or 60 degrees or it could be as cold to get snow. So what say you guys, opinions on accessories and stuff? What should I wear over my dress while outside? What color?

Dress is a golden color (darker than ivory but not quite gold..), corset, black shoes. Also pictured, the headband i have.

Re: accessorizing the dress

• Wow, that model is bringin' it.  Talk about FIERCE!  The color of your dress sounds super neat, by the way.  VERY pretty!

Some bridal shops sell boleros, but they tend to be furry looking if you want to stay warm, and lacy when they arent furry (which means they aren't warm at all).  What areyour wedding colors?  Is there a scarf or shawl or pashmina you want to use that can go with your bouquet or overall color scheme?  That way you can use it again!

Black pearls may look a tad odd with a crystal headband and a champagne dress.  How about a gold pendant?  

Ultimately it's up to you.  Im sure no matter what you choose, it will be stunning.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• It's going to be somewhere between snowing and 60 where I'm getting married too! (Yayyy New England!)

I'm still at a loss.  I don't really like the idea of wearing a pashmina, but I'm probably going to end up with one in a cranberry color- just so I don't freeze (possibly).

I do think the little faux-fur capes (I'm trying to find the right word.. it's like short cape) can look really cute as well.  I'm not going to be wearing one, because it's just not my style.

I agree with goldchocobo that black pearls might look strange.  It might just be because I'm a really blunt person, but I would probably say to FI something to the extent of: "Not to be a jerk, but if you're getting me pearls, and expect me to wear them for the wedding- black pearls won't match."  

One of my BFF's H's wanted to get her studs, and she was open with him about the fact that drop earrings were going to achieve the "look" that she was going for, so she might not wear studs if he got those for her.  He ended up getting her some stunning drop earrings, which was exactly what she wanted.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You've given me some great advice. FI works for a jewlery store and had his manager help him with my gift so I'm pretty sure she steered him away from black pearls I did tell him that black may not be the best idea.

As for what to cover myself with...it's a teeny tiny wedding, no real reception aside from going to a restaurant for dinner, we may take a few shots with whatever I'm wearing but these are what I was considering (my bouquet is a brooch bouquet with a lot of color, black and gold accents)

The first 2 are vintage faux fur stoles and the last picture is a cape. The vintage furs i was considering might look to heavy whereas the Cape may feel a tad juvinile. The colors may be hard to match my dress too so maybe getting a completely different color may be best...we're also getting married in a castle if that sways things.
  • OMG I could snuggle in that cape all day!!!!

• I would stay away from the white cape.  If your dress is more of a champagne/gold/off white, a white cap might make the dress look dirty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would stay away from the white cape.  If your dress is more of a champagne/gold/off white, a white cap might make the dress look dirty.
    This!

The darker stole looks more practical and can be used again in non-wedding times.

ETA: Forgot the dress was champagne and not white.  hikebikebemerry speaks the truth!

• I want that cape really badly right now. Totally little-kid playing princess IDGAF, I want!

But agree with others that the darker stole would look better with the champagne dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards