Favors

How many do you order?

I designed some custom mason jar mugs that I think people will find fun. 

We are going to have a photo booth, etc, and one of the props is a big mustache. I made the mugs have a big mustache.

We are anticipating 125 guests (with a GOOD chunk of about 15 of them being small children). 

We are not thinking we are going to order 125 favors, instead doing like 100 considering some people won't take them, some couples will only take one, kids won't take them, and we don't want to get stuck with a TON leftover. 

thoughts?
Alyssa & Drew 
10/4/15
St. Louis

Re: How many do you order?

• If it's a favor, you need one for everyone.  Part of the PITA of favors is that there are always leftovers.  Also, how were you planning on distributing them.  Many favors are at place settings.  It would look like an omission to have mugs at some place settings but not others.

I would not take a mustache mug, and many of the other people here will agree that the last thing they need is a mismatched mug for an overflowing cabinet at home.  We all have too much stuff.  I always advise to put more money into more/upgraded bar, appetizer, or snacks.  Others here will tell you to go edible instead.

• If it's a favor, you need one for everyone.  Part of the PITA of favors is that there are always leftovers.  Also, how were you planning on distributing them.  Many favors are at place settings.  It would look like an omission to have mugs at some place settings but not others.

I would not take a mustache mug, and many of the other people here will agree that the last thing they need is a mismatched mug for an overflowing cabinet at home.  We all have too much stuff.  I always advise to put more money into more/upgraded bar, appetizer, or snacks.  Others here will tell you to go edible instead.

I'll be a poster who says to go edible. OP -- I know the kind of mason jar mug you're referring to. I get confused by these... are they for coffee? Beer? I'd bring it home with me but I would never use it. If you need to go the mustache route, why not look into candy or chocolate mustaches on sticks? (https://www.etsy.com/listing/190978927/chocolate-mustache-lollipop-favor-with?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=weddings-favor-low&gclid=CKq6zZC2_8ACFS1n7Aod9yIADg) Now these I could have fun with.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We already have the premium bar. ;) Haha. Agreed.

I am just going for fun. I hate stuffy weddings. We are doing a heavy hors' doeuvres buffet along with passed out items, upgraded premium bar, and a popcorn, candy, and cupcake bar. 

I just hate chocolate that is hard gross stock chocolates that sit around waiting for wrappers. 

Never really thought of the overflowing cabinets thing.... good point. Because ours definitely are. 

Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

• I would not take home a mason jar mug.  I would definitely not take home anything with a mustache on it!  If you've only designed them and not sent them to production, I'd stop and cancel this plan!  Edible is best.  It doesn't have to match a theme.  People will be happy to have something consumable!  We had good chocolates and had nothing left over.

That said, whatever you do, you need one for each person.
  • I was just messing around with design...

If you can see in our photo I have HUGE mustache glasses on. We are fun people. We don't like stuffy formal weddings or place cards or table numbers. We are doing marquee lighting and bright colors... 

I am trying to keep the cost down while doing something "fun"... stumped. Agh.
    Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

• I am so sick of the mustache trend, and I would not want a mustache mug. That doesn't make me any less fun than anyone else. You need to have a favor for every guest if you do favors. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ok...let's not be critical of me for my taste in "fun" stuff.... There's zero reason to be rude...
    Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

• You know what says "fun"?  Having fun.

Host a good party that has good food, good drinks, good music and a good flow and you don't need to drop an anvil on people's heads with a quirky favor to demonstrate that you're "fun".  A favor is a small thank you to your guests.  You've already acknowledged that a fair amount probably wouldn't take this particular favor with them (and have had others chimed in they wouldn't...I wouldn't, just for the record - my cabinets are too full as it is) so why not pick something the majority are going to like?  It's a thank you to them, not a showpiece to demonstrate your likes.  Find some retro candy that most people would like, if you want something a little more unusual.  Or don't have a favor at all if you're trying to save money.  Not having a favor at all is perfectly acceptable.
  • If you have 125 guests, you have to order 125. It would seem rude if one person was given one and another person was not, you know?

What if you put candy inside the mason jar, if you are really into the mason jar idea?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Retro candy is an idea I have not yet heard. I guess I also did not know it was acceptable etiquette to not use favors. 

We are doing baggies with the popcorn bar that they could load up and seal up and take home if they really wanted.

Lots of helpful input. 
    Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

• Ooh, love the popcorn idea!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Gourmet flavors! I think we decided on Cinnamon Bun, Buffalo and Ranch, and the White Cheddar. In big bins, then there are bags next to eat each big bucket o' popcorn that they could take home popcorn in... but they will also be munching on those while the cocktail intermission is going on.
    Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

• I just wasn't sure if something like that counted as a "favor".
    Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

• Another vote for one per person, order 125

• Ok...let's not be critical of me for my taste in "fun" stuff.... There's zero reason to be rude...
    I absolutely agree! If it is something that you like and you think is fun...go for it! Your guests are friends and family...they know your quirky side and that's indeed why they are your friends. Go for it! People can be rude when all they have to do is say, it's not my thing. 
  • We decided not to do favors, after talking to the photo booth people - they said hundreds of their brides, since the photo booth offers unlimited prints, and props, for the photobooth participants, that they do that instead of favors.

Our photographer said the same thing.
    Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

• Thank you, whodat. (Iggy Azalea themed wedding? LOL)
    Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards