Chit Chat

NWR: Thanks for the kick in the ass, Knotties (moving)

Last week I posted about how we're moving into a new place with my sister until the wedding, then Fi and I will keep the two-bedroom after the wedding.  There was much shock and awe about rental prices in JC.  And several Knotties told us to keep looking for a better deal than the apartment we fell in love with last week.  And you guys were totally right, we could find a better deal.  Thanks for the kick!

We found this floor plan in our same building.  It's over a thousand dollars less than retail on that other place.  And it's beauuuttiiifffuuullllll.  Also, our move would consist of taking the elevator up and down one floor.

Option A:

This particular unit doesn't have the street entry (it's on the third floor) but I prefer being higher up anyway, and then we get extra inside space.  So now we can have an upstairs/downstairs setup.  I can put Jack's food downstairs and his box upstairs so little fatty fatkins has to climb those stairs and maybe lose a bit of weight.  The only downside is the bedrooms are close together, which could cause privacy concerns (let's be real, I don't want to hear my sister and her BF, nor vice versa), but that shared wall is all closets so I'd like to think it would be okay.

There is one other option we like, Option B:

The prices are the same.  Option B has a fireplace (not pictured in the floor plan) AND a balcony, like our current unit, which is great.  The bedrooms are separated, so more privacy.  And the kitchen layout with the island is really cool.  But it's in the other building so we'd have to... you know, actually move.  And I like the homey idea of the two-floor setup.  Feels more like a house.

Mostly I'm just saying thank you because we totally have great options for way less money that we were thinking about spending.  And AW'ing our pretty floor plan options.  But if anybody has thoughts about two floors vs. balcony, or moving tips and tricks, I will happily take them.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: NWR: Thanks for the kick in the ass, Knotties (moving)

• How exciting! Personally I would totally go for option A. I love that it has two floors. Are the floors carpeted or wood?

Also, how often do you use your balcony now? FI and I only use ours in the summer/early fall, so really the only reason we have it is so that we have somewhere to put our grill.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Ooh yay! 

I personally love the 2-floor option. That long diagonal hallway in option B is just weird. Do you really need that much closet space in the spare bedroom, or is that square footage better utilized in option A? As to the bedroom privacy thing, you can always just have more shower sex since the bathroom doesn't share a wall. ;) And you'd have more privacy really if someone goes to bed early while the other person is still downstairs. If you're in the kitchen making a snack while sister is having seksaytimes you'll hear her there.

• How exciting! Personally I would totally go for option A. I love that it has two floors. Are the floors carpeted or wood?

Also, how often do you use your balcony now? FI and I only use ours in the summer/early fall, so really the only reason we have it is so that we have somewhere to put our grill.

Floors are carpeted.  Unfortunately the kitchen is not updated (formica, white appliances) but the ones with granite and Pergo are more money.  Trying to make those responsible decisions!!

We actually use our balcony quite a bit during spring and fall.  We have a habit of eating weekend brunch out there whenever the weather is nice enough.  But obviously this is NJ, so in the high heat of summer and in the winter, it's too hot/cold.  Losing the balcony is not a deal breaker for us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ooh yay! 

I personally love the 2-floor option. That long diagonal hallway in option B is just weird. Do you really need that much closet space in the spare bedroom, or is that square footage better utilized in option A? As to the bedroom privacy thing, you can always just have more shower sex since the bathroom doesn't share a wall. ;) And you'd have more privacy really if someone goes to bed early while the other person is still downstairs. If you're in the kitchen making a snack while sister is having seksaytimes you'll hear her there.
    Also the funny part is, K and I have discussed that we don't want to share a bedroom wall.  And yet neither one of us has gotten real and been like, Yo, I don't want to hear you having sexsaytimes.

But that's a good point, too.  Opposite bedrooms could still be weird if other people are still up.

Shower sex is obviously the solution.  Lolo, you are full of solutions these few days!  (And I will PM you about the overlays-- I might suck up the shipping and order one of each size just to test first).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh wow I love both! We have a balcony right now which we love, but you can really only use it so many months out of the year. We definitely do not use it as much as we should. I would LOVE a fireplace. Other than that no tips, but both options are fabulous!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I would probably go with option A.  The two floors make it feel bigger and have a better separation between living and sleeping spaces. I don't care for floor plans where the master bedroom is right off the living room.  It seems less private.

Also, you wouldn't have to "move", just take the elevator.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • ...I hate stairs. I also hate sharing a wall with another bedroom.

I love balconies, on the other hand. And kitchen islands. 

The master in option B has all the mechanical crap in it. I'd swap with my sister and deal with a public entry to my bath. But I don't open closets that have hot water heaters in them.

Go B, and get the not-scary bedroom!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • @CaitTDid23 You are cracking me up.  Our current master bedroom has all that scary mechanical stuff, and it totally sucks.  There is only one good wall to put our bed, in between the living room door, closet door, bathroom door, mechanical door, and the sliding door to the balcony.  It's ridiculous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• As far as sexsaytimes in the 2 floor plan, just put your bed on the opposite wall! Easy peasy. Also, I suggest getting your sis this:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ...I hate stairs. I also hate sharing a wall with another bedroom.

I love balconies, on the other hand. And kitchen islands. 

The master in option B has all the mechanical crap in it. I'd swap with my sister and deal with a public entry to my bath. But I don't open closets that have hot water heaters in them.

Go B, and get the not-scary bedroom!
    The non-master bath in option B also has more counter space. But I don't like that the laundry is off the kitchen. I don't need dirty underpants that close to my cooking space, thankyouverymuch. (I'm a messy launderer, it involves a lot of piles.)

And option A has a pantry!

• @CaitTDid23 You are cracking me up.  Our current master bedroom has all that scary mechanical stuff, and it totally sucks.  There is only one good wall to put our bed, in between the living room door, closet door, bathroom door, mechanical door, and the sliding door to the balcony.  It's ridiculous.
    I would not have gotten that apartment. Like, legit shit I wouldn't be able to sleep with the mechanical stuff in the room.
  • Oh and another major plus for Option A that you can't really see in the floor plan.  At the top of the stairs in front of the W/D, there is a built-in desk area overlooking the stairs.  So it basically has a teensy home office, too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Am I reading A right? Does it say Bedroom is 10.4" x 3.3"? Lol.
  • This is a tough call--I love duplexes, and staying in your building is awesome.

However...as someone who has been DYING for outdoor space, and coveting her neighbors' yard access, I have to say that for me, a balcony would go a long way. I also think you'll enjoy having separated bedrooms.

It is a close call for me, but I think I would vote B.

Oh, I almost forgot--are you still thinking of moving in a couple years to buy your own place? That might affect this, too, since an "easy" move now might make the "big" move in a few years a bit easier...but all things considered I still think B is awesome.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Oh and another major plus for Option A that you can't really see in the floor plan.  At the top of the stairs in front of the W/D, there is a built-in desk area overlooking the stairs.  So it basically has a teensy home office, too.
    It looks like there's a teensy desk in the LR of Option B. Not as ideal as one separate from the LR, but at least it's there? o.0
  • Oh hey, just realized the layout for A is kinda similar to what Fi's and I's(awkward phrasing, sorry!) house is!

I like having his desk near the stairs (it gives me an excuse to pop over for a kiss often!). I feel like the floor plan for B feels/looks awkward.
  • Am I reading A right? Does it say Bedroom is 10.4" x 3.3"? Lol.
    LOL-- you're totally right.  I think it's supposed to say 13'3".  I've been in the model, and I promise it is not three feet wide.

This is a tough call--I love duplexes, and staying in your building is awesome.

However...as someone who has been DYING for outdoor space, and coveting her neighbors' yard access, I have to say that for me, a balcony would go a long way. I also think you'll enjoy having separated bedrooms.

It is a close call for me, but I think I would vote B.

Oh, I almost forgot--are you still thinking of moving in a couple years to buy your own place? That might affect this, too, since an "easy" move now might make the "big" move in a few years a bit easier...but all things considered I still think B is awesome.
    Yes, we would still move within a year or two into (theoretically) the first place we'd own.  So we are looking at a big move fairly soon anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

It looks like there's a teensy desk in the LR of Option B. Not as ideal as one separate from the LR, but at least it's there? o.0
    Yeah.  It's pretty tiny but it's there.  I mostly just love the kitchen in Option B because it's so open.  But I'm leaning Option A for the living/ sleeping space division.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I guess I'm in the minority. I really like Option B. 

I like the open floor plan where the living/dining/kitchen are all open to each other. In Option A, the kitchen is kind of detached. I know the way H and I entertain, I'd much rather have the kitchen open to stuff. 

I also like that the bedrooms are separated. There seems to be more storage space and I like the balcony. 

However, Option A has a nice fireplace and the two-story layout is tempting.
    *********************************************************************************

• So the open floor plan in option B, with the kitchen island and everything is sort of how our condo is set up. Now it looks awesome, and I love the openness of it, but girl...you see every dirty fucking dish there is. Drives me batty. Does force you to do something about the dishes though.
  • I'd go with Option A for the double sinks in the master bathroom and the separation - you'll want two floors if you're living with your sister AND juggling working from home some nights. One floor apartments make it generally impossible to drown out noise in the living space, at least in my experience. Get a noise machine app on your phone if you're worried about hearing each others "noises."

The balcony in B is tempting, but I feel like outdoor space in the Northeast always boils down to not using it when you have it and really missing it when you don't. You can't win.
  • beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    When you DO move, talk to maintenance about being there to help with the elevator. They might have a key to put it on independent so that the doors will stay open/closed as you move things.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I say option A, but I'm not a fan of condos, so that's my bias.  The 2 floors will feel more like a house/duplex.  

My first house was a duplex.  My neighbours bedroom backed onto my spare room.  I had closet on my side but she didn't - she had her bed.  I couldn't hear a thing except when her headboard got too close to the wall.  The I would feel a slight shudder that got louder and stronger.  My whole second floor would shake.  I "accidentally" put some things in the closet loudly hitting the shared wall.  She must have moved her bed, cos I never heard it again.  

That said, the walls in-between duplexes are probably thinker and have more dead space in between them than just bedrooms.  You might be ok with beds on different walls though.  But don't base this solely on the move (same building vs several blocks).  You'll move there once whereas you'll have to live there much longer.  

• Yeah, I'm happy you found a less expensive option.

I like option A

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Wooo thanks for sharing! I love looking at blueprints!!

Both definitely have their pros and cons, but after seeing you say you want to do a big move in a few years, then I think you should go with option 1 to make it easier!

I like the 2 stories and that their is a separate bath for guests downstairs and both you and your sister will have completely private baths (while you get 2 sinks!) I think with so many adults it is nice to have separate living and sleeping spaces. As far as the closeness of the bedrooms... not ideal but put the beds on opposite walls and since you are both already cautious of this it sounds like you will both try to be considerate as well.

Anniversary
  • That's awesome JC!  I've been studying these floor plans like I'm going to be moving in.

After careful consideration I'd go with Option B.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • gladyscfgladyscf member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2014
    Moving tip: As long as you know you're moving, start getting boxes and pack up the stuff you don't need or use right now. It will be less daunting to pack if you've already gotten a head start and don't have to pack a whole apartment at once. ETA: I like aspects of both places, good luck!
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Moving tip: As long as you know you're moving, start getting boxes and pack up the stuff you don't need or use right now. It will be less daunting to pack if you've already gotten a head start and don't have to pack a whole apartment at once. ETA: I like aspects of both places, good luck!
    This. And if you can have, like, three days to move out/in that overlap, USE THEM. Get things out of the old apartment and into the new. Then, once your overlap is gone, THEN start setting up.

Also - PP said put your bed up first. I like that. I'll have to remember it.
  • I like both floor plans so I;m no help. I've shared apartment walls with roommates before and very rarely heard anything. Like, to the point I wondered if they stopped having the sexytimes forever. I do sympathize on the switching buildings thing because that moving will suck a lot. We are planning on moving into a 2 bedroom when our lease is up and in the past year all the 2 bedroom units that have been available are in the other building.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards