Getting in Shape

Help me.

My doctor says I've put on 75 lbs since this time last year, and I KNOW she's wrong, but I know I have put on probably 20.  Give me advice. :(

Re: Help me.

• How do you know that she is wrong?  I would think that she has a record of your weight from last year and compared it your weight this year.

But moving on.  What kind of advice are you needing?  Eating advice?  Exercise advice?  How to get started?

What do you currently do in regards to working out?  What are your eating habits now?  What is your main problem when it comes to exercising/eating (ex: can't find an exercise routine you like, have a deep and passionate love of ice cream, etc)?

• I also keep a record, and my clothes still fit just fine.

I guess eating advice.  Like, I don't eat a lot of junk food. I buy a regular sized bag of chips and it lasts us the entire month. I eat fruit and veggie snacks, nothing too sugary.

I can't find an exercise routine I can stick to!
  • I am not trying to be snarky, but if you gained 20 pounds then your clothes from when you were 20 pounds smaller should not still fit fine.  You should be noticing a definite tightness and possible not fitting going on.  Trust me, I know, I too have gained about 20 pounds in the past 3 years and the clothes I used to wear back then have been sent to Goodwill or put away since they will in no way fit my larger behind.

Have you tried counting your calories by using MFP?  I have found that this helps me to be more aware of what I am eating and when and also helps with portion sizes.

What kind of exercising do you like?  Walks on a trail?  Running?  Swimming?  Group classes?  You need to find something that you like because if you hate what you are doing you won't stick with it. Also, do you have a friend you can ask to be a workout buddy?  Or do you have the funds for a personal trainer?  If someone is waiting for you to show up or you are paying some to train you, you will be more apt to get your butt to the gym and work out.

I find that in the beginning the first 2 weeks are the hardest when it comes to eating better (or less) and sticking to working out.  Once you past those 2 weeks the things become more of a routine and less of a "ugh, I really don't want to go to the gym" or a "screw it I am going to eat ice cream for dinner" and more of an automatic thing and something that you look forward to or enjoy.

Finally, maybe think about making an exercise jar.  Every time you exercise you put a dollar into the jar.  At the end of the month you use that money to buy yourself something, whether it be a new top or a pair of shoes or a manicure/pedicure, just something to reward yourself for your hard work.

• I don't run. I'm in the big boob club, and can't for the life of my get a good enough sports bra. I can't afford a trainer, or a gym membership. I do a lot of walking, and enjoy swimming.  Maybe I'll try lap swimming again. I could use a mani/pedi. That's a great idea :)
  • Nutritionist! Why didn't I think of that!  My doctor didn't mention that, but it's a great idea.  I can't eat in the morning because it makes my tummy ill, so I drink a vitamin supplement thing with 8 servings of fruits and veggies per scoop, and I put in 2 scoops.  Lunch is usually a sandwhich with fruit, and dinner is more often than not chicken and some kind of starch.
  • Hi!

Start by tracking your calories. You can use a free app, like myfitnesspal.com. It has a zillion things stored and lets you save recipes. First see what you are eating and how it compares to what you should be eating to maintain your weight. Then, since you want to lose, start eating below maintenance. Myfitnesspal will help you pace yourself, since you don't want to starve yourself lighter.

Then, for exercise, I think lap swimming is great! Add in some weight training, muscle burns more calories, so the more muscle you have the more calories you burn, even when you are sleeping. Who doesn't want to burn calories in their sleep?

If you want try try running, Under Armour makes greats sports bras. I like this one with the zip up front best.

Good luck!
  • edited September 2014
    You can ask about their scale calibration. There is an enormous difference between 75 lbs and 20 lbs. Either in one year is significant but one is obviously startlingly substantial.

Are you serious about losing weight or are you satisfied with where you are? If wanting seriously to lose (and committed), order a fitbit and start a food journal. Calories in, calories out - that's all you should think about for the next month. And eat clean. If you drink, limit to 1-2 drinks a week, you decide when but once you've had them, you're done. Bring your tennis shoes to work and walk on lunch. See what happens. You'll know if you followed the rules. Schedule an appt with your doc for 6 months from now. Hold yourself accountable. You can do it!

ETF. Spelling
    *********************************************************************************

• I would also suggest keeping tabs on your weight with a scale.  I actually believe that weighing yourself is not the greatest judge of your progress, but in your case you might benefit from keeping track of it.

I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th what people have said about MFP, and especially echo what @maggie0829 mentioned about the two week hurdle.  I personally have struggled SO MUCH in the past 2 years with sticking to a workout plan and diet but I feel like it finally has sunk in andI'm starting my full week two and looked back at my calendar, and realized that this is the most I've worked out consistently all year.. so I'm thrilled!! 

I've added a few ladies from this board to myfitnesspal and they're all making great progress.. you should add some of us (I think you can find a few names on the May 2015 thread on this board) and you can add me if you'd like, my username is BreMurie! 

Good luck! 
  • One more thing: if you're going to get professional help, get a registered dietician, not a nutritionist. "Nutritionist" is a pretty meaningless term because it isn't regulated, so anyone can call themselves one. That's not to say they are all bad, but it's a lot harder to know you're getting someone with the right education. Get an RD!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MFP is a great tool. Sometimes you just don't realize how many calories you're consuming. 
  • Re: the scale discrepancy, it is possible that they didn't have the right chart in front of them. I went in for a physical once and the nurse said, "Wow, you've lost a lot of weight since last time!" I said, "I mean, a little maybe." She said, "60 pounds isn't a little!" And I said, "No, that is not the case. My name is Firstname Lastname." "Firstname SomeoneElse'sLastname?" "No, Lastname." "Ohhh, I have the wrong chart."

Nevertheless, even the 20 lbs. you believe you've gained isn't great news (which you know). I absolutely echo Maggie's 2-week mark--I've fallen "off the wagon" in recent weeks and am trying to get back on the horse now. Let me tell you, it didn't used to feel this hard! Because it wasn't. I'm comparing now (the beginning of the 2-week tough-it-out) to the time when I was eating well and exercising often out of routine. 

MyFitnessPal is great, as is just a good old-fashioned food diary. I don't really run much either (not a boob thing, a bored thing). I like to keep things interesting with interval training, which sounds like A Thing but is really just doing multiple exercises in a set, short, timeframe at the fastest pace you can safely maintain. It keeps me from getting bored and it burns a ton of calories while building muscle. You can do this with a trainer, a "boot camp"-type class, or completely on your own--Pinterest has a plethora of "body weight circuits" and other "15-minute" or "Hotel room" workouts with helpful infographics of each exercise.

Good luck!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Get a trainer immediately that is also a dietician.
  • I don't run. I'm in the big boob club, and can't for the life of my get a good enough sports bra.

get an Enell sports bra (the high impact one, not the low impact one). I don't care how big you are, put that thing on and you can do jumping jacks without moving an inch. I didn't believe it until i tried it, now I'm never going back.it's a life changer
  • If you have an Instagram, follow emilyskyefitness. She posts videos of different workouts you can do at home. I usually do them 3-4 nights per week. I go for a walk around my neighborhood and then do these workouts for about 45 mins. All you need is a little bit of space in your living room. I usually have the TV on in the background so I don't get bored. It's great because you don't need to spend money on a gym membership.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards