Favors

Umbrellas as a favor?

rooz103rooz103 member
First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited September 2014 in Favors
FI and I had originally decided against favors because we thought it'd be a waste of money, but after getting caught in an unexpected downpour last week (yay autumn), I started tossing around the idea of ordering umbrellas as a favor. 

A little background: It's a daytime wedding, early January in Washington, so it'll be chilly but not freezing, with a 80% chance of rain or sprinkles coupled with a 100% chance of gray skies. Nothing immediately related to the wedding will require having to stand outside, but the venue is on the waterfront, and the coastline is pretty enough even in winter to invite a stroll. A good chunk of the guest list is coming from out of state and probably wouldn't be prepared for inclement weather. 

I was thinking of ordering enough for like... half(?) of the guests, and piling them in a basket near the door, like some weddings have shawls or flip flops. Guests could take an umbrella and go sightseeing/start a sword fight/have a Seattle-ish favor, or they could leave 'em according to personal preference. I'd be okay with a lot of extras because I lose them easily and like to have a stash (I'm convinced they end up in the same place that socks disappear to). Oh, and no, they wouldn't be personalized. 

If you were a guest, would you think WTF? Am I way overthinking this or could this be useful?

edit: paragraphs

Re: Umbrellas as a favor?

• I just wouldn't call them a favor but if you want them to be like the flip flop deal, that's fine. I do think this could end up being a colossal waste of money I mean, if it's raining, I've brought my own umbrella to your wedding in order to get there. And I wouldn't assume I could take an umbrella home. 

You might even ask if your venue has a stash of umbrellas. I know lots of country clubs keep them on hand. 
  • It's a nice idea but I honestly think these could wind up being a waste of money.

If I were out of town I would either run to Target and buy myself a cheap umbrella or I would just deal with it. It seems like it could be difficult to bring back on a plane with you if your suitcase is full.

Like manateehugger said, I also wouldn't assume I could bring them home with me.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Its a sweet thought but I think its a waste of money. If its an 80% chance of rain, most guests will probably bring umbrellas.
    *********************************************************************************

• rooz103 said:
    FI and I had originally decided against favors because we thought it'd be a waste of money, but after getting caught in an unexpected downpour last week (yay autumn), I started tossing around the idea of ordering umbrellas as a favor. 

A little background: It's a daytime wedding, early January in Washington, so it'll be chilly but not freezing, with a 80% chance of rain or sprinkles coupled with a 100% chance of gray skies. Nothing immediately related to the wedding will require having to stand outside, but the venue is on the waterfront, and the coastline is pretty enough even in winter to invite a stroll. A good chunk of the guest list is coming from out of state and probably wouldn't be prepared for inclement weather. 

I was thinking of ordering enough for like... half(?) of the guests, and piling them in a basket near the door, like some weddings have shawls or flip flops. Guests could take an umbrella and go sightseeing/start a sword fight/have a Seattle-ish favor, or they could leave 'em according to personal preference. I'd be okay with a lot of extras because I lose them easily and like to have a stash (I'm convinced they end up in the same place that socks disappear to). Oh, and no, they wouldn't be personalized. 

If you were a guest, would you think WTF? Am I way overthinking this or could this be useful?

edit: paragraphs
    No matter where I go, I always pack a small umbrella.  Have a little faith in your guests.  And even if they forget one, you said that nothing is outside, right?  So worst case if they didn't bring an umbrella or buy a cheap one upon arrival is that they run from the car to the venue.  And let's face it, if it's raining and there's a big ol' bucket of umbrellas in a bin, I'm still not going to go outside and take a stroll.  I'd save the money.
  • I think it would be incredibly expensive and a waste of money. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • This is why I post lol. FI has been pushing for umbrellas since we saw a wedding with them in our photographer's portfolio, and umbrella-craziness was starting to spread. I think I'll surprise him with some nice umbrellas for just us, take some cutesy photos and call it good. 

Thanks, ladies!
  • That sounds like a great idea, OP!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I think it's a cute idea, but like a PP said, I wouldn't say they are your favors since you won't have enough for everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards