Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon toiletries

kla728kla728 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited September 2014 in Honeymoon Discussions
Hey ladies,

For those of you that have gone/are about to go on your honeymoons, did you pack full-size toiletries or all travel size?  We will be gone for 10 days/9 nights, and I'm just wondering if normal travel size will be enough or if we need full-size?  We are staying at an AI -- Sandals -- so they may provide some shampoo/conditioner FI would be happy to use :)  haha.  Just curious what most people do.

Thanks!

ETF: normal definitely should have said travel, woops!

Re: Honeymoon toiletries

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    I always take trial sized items.  i travel just enough to have dedicated items always in my travel toiletry bag to just grab.  I even have hair ties, comb, brush and contacts in there.  I just grab my make-up and go.

For 10 days I would throw in an extra travel size conditioner and toothpaste.  I use hotel shampoos/conditioners anyways.   Some hotels do not carry conditioner or have the all-in-one so I tend to keep some in my bag.  

Most hotels have extra toothpaste and such in housekeeping if you ask, so if I forget NBD.

ETA - DH and I pack toiletries separately.  He also uses travel size.  Mostly because he only bring carry-ons.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We're planning on buying what we need when we get to the island, and tossing what we haven't used when we leave. We figure is easier than trying to get it all through customs etc. We have a full kitchen where we're staying, and even though we don't own to use it often, we're going to pick up things like coffee, tea, and so on.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Travel size it, easier for packing. Hotels usually provide the basics and if not, I'm sure there are some local drug stores you can pick up stuff if needed. If I did full size bottles between the soap I use & he uses, our shampoo/conditioner, my hair products & his products, etc. We would need a suitcase just for toiletries.

• I do a mix. I usually don't like to use the hotel shampoo or conditioner, but I will use their lotion. So, I don't pack any lotion ever. We each pack our own small toothpaste tubes and I'll pack a small shaving cream bottle.

I'd be wary of buying items once you are there, depending on where one is going. Simple toiletries can be super expensive in other countries. I'd only resort to the local drug store for emergency items.

If going somewhere tropical, be sure you have plenty of sunscreen. It's expensive to buy once at your location and you'll surely need more than you think!!

• I do a mix. I usually don't like to use the hotel shampoo or conditioner, but I will use their lotion. So, I don't pack any lotion ever. We each pack our own small toothpaste tubes and I'll pack a small shaving cream bottle. I'd be wary of buying items once you are there, depending on where one is going. Simple toiletries can be super expensive in other countries. I'd only resort to the local drug store for emergency items. If going somewhere tropical, be sure you have plenty of sunscreen. It's expensive to buy once at your location and you'll surely need more than you think!!
    As someone who lived in the islands for 15 years I can tell you that this is absolutely 100% correct.   

Depending on where your resort is you could be a 10 min or more taxi ride to the store.  Adding to the costs.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I always use the shampoo, body wash/ soap, lotion provided. I bring my own travel size of conditioner since they never give you any and DH doesn't use any, and we bring one small toothpaste to share.

We do not check bags EVER so we purchase sunblock on location. Just went to Jamaica for my honeymoon and we bought 3 large bottles at the hotel for $14 each ($42). If we had packed them from home it would have been $10 per bottle plus baggage fees for a total of $55-$75.

• jenna8984 said:

I always use the shampoo, body wash/ soap, lotion provided. I bring my own travel size of conditioner since they never give you any and DH doesn't use any, and we bring one small toothpaste to share.

We do not check bags EVER so we purchase sunblock on location. Just went to Jamaica for my honeymoon and we bought 3 large bottles at the hotel for $14 each ($42). If we had packed them from home it would have been $10 per bottle plus baggage fees for a total of $55-$75.

I have a family history of skin cancer, so sunscreen is one thing I definitely will be bringing with me and plenty of it.  I'd be pretty surprised if it causes a problem with the weight of my bags but I guess I'll find out!  

All in all it seems travel size is clearly the way to go, although I'm someone who washes my hair every day (I know, I know, its theoretically better if you don't... if you saw my hair on day 2 you would understand, let alone day 3 or 4) so I'll probably pack 2 shampoos/conditioners.  

Thanks ladies :)
  • kla728 said:
    jenna8984 said:

I always use the shampoo, body wash/ soap, lotion provided. I bring my own travel size of conditioner since they never give you any and DH doesn't use any, and we bring one small toothpaste to share.

I have a family history of skin cancer, so sunscreen is one thing I definitely will be bringing with me and plenty of it.  I'd be pretty surprised if it causes a problem with the weight of my bags but I guess I'll find out!  

All in all it seems travel size is clearly the way to go, although I'm someone who washes my hair every day (I know, I know, its theoretically better if you don't... if you saw my hair on day 2 you would understand, let alone day 3 or 4) so I'll probably pack 2 shampoos/conditioners.  

Thanks ladies :)
    it's not the weight, although that could be an issue i guess.  It's that the bottles are too big for carry-on so your only option is to check a bag.

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I usually take cheap products and just toss whatever might be left over...shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, body wash...  I'm not an expensive product kind of girl anyway but I think taking travel size for the most part is a waste of money because you're really paying for packaging.  You can get a travel size shampoo for a buck but a full size bottle of a cheap shampoo is like $1.50...so one full size vs. buying multiple travel size.
  • I am VERY particular about my products. Some things I don't care as much about I take travel sizes, or I find my favorite products in travel size. For 10 days, you will probably need multiple bottles depending on the size. But, I also have no problem checking my bags when I fly so I don't mind bringing my full size products!
  • I bring multiple travel size on trips.  Two shampoos, two conditioners, one toothpaste, etc.

Biggest thing I used to forget--a travel size hairspray.

I take everything I want with me because I have really long, color-treated hair, and tend to find complimentary shampoo very drying.  I usually end up using the hotel shampoo as body wash.

I've always found great deals on trial sized sunscreen on eBay.  I'm convinced the people who give out samples of it during promos pocket a few and sell them on eBay.  I bought a whole box on eBay, it came with all the markings still on the box that it was for a promo at a store.  Nevertheless, I had all the mini bottles I needed for two years.
  • Almost always travel size.  We did 3 weeks in Europe this summer and I still went travel size only.  If need be, I'll bring 2-3 of something instead of a huge bottle.  I also only wash my hair once a week or so, so I don't need as much shampoo/conditioner.  If I did it daily or so, I'd probably bring more.  

• edited October 2014
    I don't like to use hotel shampoos and conditioners since my hair is super dry. I need my products so if I'm going away for a week or more, I always take the "normal" size. If I'm swimming every day, I'm probably at least conditioning, if not also washing, my hair constantly. If I'm going somewhere to the beach, then I also take "normal" sunscreen.

However, face wash, toothpaste, gel, hairspray, etc. we usually bring travel-sized ones and it lasts just fine for a week. Lol - what does that say about our dental hygiene? J/K!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards