Honeymoon Discussions

Delayed Honeymoon?

Both my fiance and I are in college. He is set to graduate December of 2015 and I will May of 2016. The date of our wedding is June 4, 2016. Since both of us will have new jobs, I have been concerned about being able to get vacation time for a honeymoon so soon after starting. The money is also a concern; we can afford a fairly nice honeymoon but if we worked full-time for a year we could afford a better one. Should I go ahead and plan one and we can just tell our employers before we start that we will need a week off? or wait and have our honeymoon on our first anniversary? 

Re: Delayed Honeymoon?

• I think it depends. Do you both already have jobs lined up? Or are you just assuming that you will have one as soon as you graduate? I would think that if your FI started a job as soon as he graduated, it wouldn't be too difficult to get time off in June - especially since he knows about the dates so far ahead of time. If you're worried about taking time off as soon as you get a job in May 2014, could you just delay your starting date availability to mid-June after your honeymoon?
  • Why not take a slightly delayed honeymoon?  Maybe not a year but perhaps the end of summer/early fall?  I like delayed honeymoons so you can get gifts put away, deposit money, do thank you notes, get settled into married life...and then really go and enjoy your honeymoon.  Either way, I think you should go ahead and plan it for whenever you want and just let them know about the vacation time being a part of your job offer.  Then take another vacation celebrating your first anniversary! :)

• My DH and I had a mini-moon.  Two days in a Kansas City hotel.  We weren't able to do expensive travel until our 25th anniversary, and we have been traveling ever since!  No regrets.
    I suggest you have a mini-moon somewhere reasonable close.  You can have your dream trip on your one year anniversary.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We both definitely have jobs as soon as we graduate. We are both engineers and most likely our internships will offer us a job or other companies we have contacts at. I am just concerned if I ask for time off before even getting hired it might affect whether I get hired. If i work at the company I intern for I am not that worried, but that is not a sure shot.   
  • My husband started his job a month before the wedding and didn't have vacation time, so we took a mini-moon and had our "real" honeymoon for our one year anniversary. I would wait if I were you. There is no guarantee your employer will give you the time off.
  • You can ask for the time and there's nothing wrong with doing that, but there's also nothing wrong with waiting. We're getting married in May but not going until the fall just because we'd already planned the vacation before getting engaged. We're backpacking in South America and doing the Inca Trail and all that, so we want to use all our vacation time on that next year and go for as long as possible instead of spending some of our time right after the wedding. So now we're just calling that our honeymoon, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If an employer isn't willing to give you time off for an already planned vacation they're an asshole...or they don't really want you that badly anyway.  They may not be willing to give it to you paid vacation, but most places will absolutely understand that life happens and vacations get scheduled in advance.
  • mlg78 said:
    If an employer isn't willing to give you time off for an already planned vacation they're an asshole...or they don't really want you that badly anyway.  They may not be willing to give it to you paid vacation, but most places will absolutely understand that life happens and vacations get scheduled in advance.
    This.  You will most likely have to take non-paid time off but many employers realize that when they hire individuals those individuals may already have planned events that require them to take time off in the beginning of their employment.

• If you haven't actually received or accepted a job offer yet, couldn't you just set your start date for your new job to be after you return from your honeymoon (assuming you go immmediately after your wedding)? You are graduating and then getting married right away, if that was me i wouldn't have wanted to also throw "starting a new job" into that time frame anyway. Sounds like your FI will have already graduated and would have already been working for about 6 months by then, so asking for a week off should not be a big deal for him. There is also nothing wrong with putting the honeymoon off a bit. Keep in mind that you won't be able to book a lot of travel stuff until you are one year out anyway. For a June 2016 trip you can't even look at flights until July of 2015. So take your time deciding, and after you've accepted a job offer, you can ask your new employer about getting the time off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards