Wedding Etiquette Forum

Welcome words by the couple

Is it etiquette approved that the couple welcomes everybody at the very beginning in front of all the guests and not individually table by table? What is the most common or I guess the most appropriate?

Re: Welcome words by the couple

• You should still either do a receiving line or table visits so that you have an opportunity to speak to every guest, even if it's only for a brief moment.
    Anniversary

• Is it etiquette approved that the couple welcomes everybody at the very beginning in front of all the guests and not individually table by table? What is the most common or I guess the most appropriate?

You need to make a concerted effort to greet and thank all of your guests. The most common ways of doing this are a receiving line or table visits. After the toasts at our wedding, I think my husband and I just said thank you and let's dance!
  • No.  You should thank each guest individually, with a receiving line or table visits as PPs suggested.  It's much more meaningful for guests to have a moment with the couple individually. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Greet everyone individually. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to greet your guests. You invited these people to celebrate with them, if you don't want to even speak to them for two minutes why invite them?

• You can do this, for sure. But it doesn't excuse you from either do a receiving line or table visits to thank each guest individually. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Agree with PPs. You are welcome to give a short message to your guests welcoming them to the event over the mic but it is still required that you personally thank them either by table visits or a receiving line.
  • Also, I wish that, as we did table visits, I would have had our photographer take a photo of us with each table. I HIGHLY suggest doing it. We have pictures of all of our guests, but so few of us WITH all of them - it's my biggest wedding day regret.
  • No.  Greet your guests individually, not in a collective speech at the beginning of the service.  It comes off as an ugly combination of "I'm so important" and "I can't be bothered to tell you personally how much I appreciate your taking the time, money, and energy out of your life to come see me get married."

You can give a speech at the reception, but it should not take the place of personally greeting your guests, either in a receiving line or going to each table.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards