Jewish Weddings

Ketubah Rave and Question

We received our ketubah yesterday from MPArtworks and its GORGEOUS!! We got the standard version and the quality is really impressive.  Its nice thick paper, excellent printing, and the customization is flawless.  They were really quick and easy to work with and I'd highly recommend them to anyone!

Here's my question, our ketubah came rolled.  I can flatten it out under books before the wedding, but what do you normally do for the ketubah at the ceremony? I usually see it propped up on an easel during the ceremony and reception. How do you get it to stand?  Do you mount it on anything? We aren't planning on framing until after the wedding. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ketubah Rave and Question

• RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I mounted mine on foam board.  First I flatened it out with books, like you said, then you can put rolled masking tape on the back side of the ketubah in each of the four corners to secure it to the foam board.  If you'd like further protection, you can get a piece of clear plastic and put it over the ketubah once it is mounted on the foam board and secure it on top with scotch tape (just the top, so that you can lift the piece of plastic up to sign it).  I bought the foam board and plastic at an art supplied shop.  Make sure you know the dimensions of your ketubah so they can cut the foam and plastic to the correct size.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I ordered mine from MP as well and best company to deal with - we were super pleased.

We didn't make a fuss with ours at all; I ordered the protective clear plastic and we just kept it in there and had it on a table until it was time to be read.  Then after the ceremony, it was brought back to our room after our yichud period ended. 

Now I have to get it framed; got the mat board, just need the rest of the custom framing to hang on our wall at home...
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In terms of getting it to stop rolling, your best bet is to get archival quality foam core.  Put the ketubah between two pieces of the foam core, then put books on top of the upper one to weigh it down.

The other thing we did was to have the ketubah mostly framed--all but the glass--before the wedding.  The frame held it in place.  Also, this prevented anyone from accidentally signing in a place that would end up being covered by the mat.  Once it was signed, we were able to add the glass to it.

• edited December 2011
    I took mine to a local frame shop (the owner is jewish so I knew he'd know what to do with the ketubah).  He flattened it, mounted it with photo corners on foam board, and covered with a clear plastic cover.  Don't glue your ketubah to anything!

At the wedding we will display it on an easel under the chuppah.  After the ceremony, the wedding coordinator at the shul is going to lock it up in her office until we pick it up on Monday.
  • LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_ketubah-rave-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:f7efeb2a-6d38-4ecb-bc92-ac20ea54907cPost:dbb27d1a-d85c-4c73-a7a9-f8619d60c663">Re: Ketubah Rave and Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I took mine to a local frame shop (the owner is jewish so I knew he'd know what to do with the ketubah).  He flattened it, mounted it with photo corners on foam board, and covered with a clear plastic cover.  [/QUOTE]

This is EXACTLY what I did, only I did it myself.  I bought the supplies at an art store.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I got the plastic protector from the website with the ketubah, so I'll see about getting it mounted onto foam core and then keeping it in the plastic sleeve until the wedding.
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_ketubah-rave-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:f7efeb2a-6d38-4ecb-bc92-ac20ea54907cPost:e1c96822-2c73-47d9-925c-a730a7b7afa6">Re: Ketubah Rave and Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]The other thing we did was to have the ketubah mostly framed--all but the glass--before the wedding.  The frame held it in place.  Also, this prevented anyone from accidentally signing in a place that would end up being covered by the mat.  Once it was signed, we were able to add the glass to it.
    Posted by 2dBride[/QUOTE]

I got this idea from you, 2dbride, and it worked beautifully, thanks for the suggestion!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_ketubah-rave-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:f7efeb2a-6d38-4ecb-bc92-ac20ea54907cPost:229d4919-1b17-49b0-99e8-2388bb568cf6">Re: Ketubah Rave and Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ketubah Rave and Question : This is EXACTLY what I did, only I did it myself.  I bought the supplies at an art store.
    Posted by LBRM_NJ[/QUOTE]

Lisa, I was going to DIY, but when I took the ketubah out of the packaging I was soooo afraid I'd rip it or smudge it.  I'm such a klutz!!
  • edited December 2011
    Glad to know you had a good experience with MP.  That's where we are planning to order from.  How long did it take to arrive?  We keep putting off ordering it because our rabbi has been slow to answer questions but it's getting down to the wire and I want to make sure it arrives within plenty of time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly, the turnaround was super quick.  I don't know if its always that quick, or we ordered during a slow period.  We put the order in, got the proof really quickly, then rec'd the ketubah I would say no more than a week later.  They seem very easy to work with, so if you needed it rushed or by a certain time, I'm sure they would work with you.

We ordered the standard ketubah, not sure if there would be more time involved if you ordered a canvas wrap or got any kind of framing.
  • edited December 2011
    MP is really quick; but I'd really press upon your rabbi that you need time to review the proofs, etc., just to get him moving along.   Worse case, you can pay a little extra for a rush job; I got my ketubah within a week after the final approval was made.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards