Honeymoon Discussions

Where did YOU honeymoon?

edited September 2014 in Honeymoon Discussions
I'm marrying a foreigner in November 2015.  Because of Visa technicalities, we may be limited by where we choose Honeymoon to  because he can't leave the US for a certain time after being approved.

So I'm looking for any suggestions for a US honeymoon.  Hawaii is an option... but is kind of cliche and not quite our speed.

Where have you Honeymooned in the United States?

ETA: I'm a CA resident and have lived this lifestyle for 26 years - Disneyland and SoCal beaches are not quite what I'm looking for :)

Thanks in advance!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Where did YOU honeymoon?

• Well this wasn't our honeymoon but a few months ago just for the hell of it, we went to Sedona, AZ. It's absolutely stunning with the Red Rocks and Canyons and hiking trails. We stayed at the cutest bed & breakfast in the whole world, it looked like an HGTV magazine spread- soooo gorgeous. I've never stayed in a B&B before, I normally like big 5 star hotels but it was probably my favorite place I've ever stayed. So calm, outdoorsy, relaxing. We also drove up to the Grand Canyon and Vegas (stayed in Vegas did not return to AZ). 

• lurkergirllurkergirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    U.S. Virgin Islands

Maine/New England Coast

Charleston, SC

New Orleans

Florida Keys

ETA: Sadly, I did not actually vacation in all those places.  Just suggestions I liked when I did a Google search :)

• Yes, we spent part of our honeymoon in the Adirondacks in upstate New York. We then went up to Montreal, but you could easily stay in the States. 

We also recently vacationed in Palm Springs, CA, and it was so fun and relaxing, though I see that might not be far enough afield for you.

What do you like to do? City, museums, restaurants, beach, hiking, lounging in the pool, historic sites? The US is huge and there are tons of options.
  • H and I HM'd in Key West for 6 days and then spent 2 days in Miami Beach.

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I would avoid the USVI.  USVI is a gray area.  While you do not need a passport to there, you do go through customs and immigration to get back.    

USVI is very close (about a mile) from another country and has easy accessed to other countries.  Being an  island people from other countries think they can just sail right in and hop on a plane to the mainland without problems.    They will question if you really just stayed in the VI or if you left for another island and using USVI as an "easy" access point.

Not worth the hassle for someone like your FI.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • You could do Puerto Rico. Old San Juan, El Yunque Rainforest...
  • What about going somewhere with snow? :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2015
  • If I had to do a US honeymoon in November, we'd do a ski resort for sure. Somewhere in the Rockies. I don't know if you're a skier or not, but even if you aren't it is so fun to learn. Lesson in the morning, just the two of you all afternoon, and lots of coffee and Baileys by the fire at night. Lots of resorts have private hot tubs and stuff too, world-class restaurants, and stuff like tubing and snowshoeing too. We're Canadian and ski our own part of the Rockies (Jasper/Banff/Lake Louise) so I can't help with specific suggestions, but if we hadn't already committed to Peru in 2015 before we got engaged we'd be on a ski vacation for our honeymoon, no question.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We didn't HM in the US, but we did do a Montana/Wyoming/South Dakota road trip a year ago.  There was lots to see and it was pretty awesome.  I'd also suggest perhaps Alaska or an Alaskan cruise as something different.  We've also done San Francisco and had a great time.  And New Orleans is on my list too.  Oh, and we did NYC one summer, and I've always wanted to drive around there more - Washington, Boston, all that area.  

• You don't have to go on your honeymoon right away!  You could even do a minimoon and just go somewhere romantic for a couple of days.  But if you need to stay in the US, I suggest Alaska or Hawaii.  I understand what you mean by the whole cliche thing- but Hawaii is absolutely amazing and has so many different things to offer depending on which islands you visit.  I lived there during college for a semester when I first started dating my now fiance and we decided to go there for our honeymoon.  We were picking between there and Alaska because they are two places that you can't just get in your car and drive to.  But Hawaii is only cliche if you act like a tourist.  We on the other hand are going to do some cliche things like staying at a resort, but we are also going to volcano national park, staying in a tree house, star gazing/ hiking Mouna Kea, watching the sunrise at Mount Haleakala and biking down, and more hiking.  The beaches are beautiful and it's such a one of a kind place and the lifestyle is just so relaxed.  We are mostly doing the off the beaten path stuff.  Don't do NYC unless you are really into the city... I work there and it's just expensive and crowded.  New Orleans is nice, I've been there a few times to rebuild homes in the 9th ward but there's a lot of cool things to do there.  

• Sorry for the late response!  Life is pretty crazy sometimes :)

Probably going to stay away from the NYC area.  I'd love to visit there as I love museums and there are some things to see there that you simply can't see any where else in the country.  It's just not what we had in mind for HM

@maggie0829 that sounds like a beautiful honeymoon, I'll look into that. 

USVI sounds amazing, but I do agree with @lyndausvi though, might be a bit of a hassle to get him back over. 

@amelisha that's a really good idea, I hadn't really considered a snowy honeymoon.  We do love the cold and snow would be a fun alternative to what we're both used to.

Lot's of suggestions to run by FI - thanks ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards