Chit Chat

Bizarre Wedding / Shower Gifts

2»

Re: Bizarre Wedding / Shower Gifts

• We only got one off-registry gift, from my mother (in addition to a couple of items she bought off of the registry) - it's a sort of odd looking brown ceramic lantern you put a candle in.  FI loves it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014

@lolo883 We got 80 dollars in check form. We thought similar to you - what a strange number.

ETA: I just found what I think is the strangest GIFT. We received a gardening book from my MIL - I kill plants and.. we don't have the ability to garden now or in our future townhouse (since the HOA controls the landscaping).

image   image   image

• Even though we specifically said no gifts for our engagement party, almost everyone brought gifts. A lot of people asked where we were registered. Um... no where. Because it's just an engagement party? I was confused, but hey if you wanna give me a gift that bad, go ahead! 

The best was that a LOT of people brought bottles of vodka. Because they know me. 

The worst was that a friend gave me a plastic glittery sign that said "Welcome" in a really bad font. Plastic, no. Glitter, for the love of god no. Hanging signs in my house, no. Ugly font, aw hell no. She still got a prompt thank-you card of course but the unfortunate sign went to Goodwill. 
  • So... I went to play with a wedding gift calculator. I set it up for a wedding in DE, involving an international flight, black tie, peak, weekday. I told it I was unemployed and not going to the wedding. I told it they were friends of the family and that I'd lost count how many times they'd gotten married. I also told it I'd attended at least three pre-wedding parties.

It told me I should give a present of $-160. 

THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME A NEW TOY
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • So... I went to play with a wedding gift calculator. I set it up for a wedding in DE, involving an international flight, black tie, peak, weekday. I told it I was unemployed and not going to the wedding. I told it they were friends of the family and that I'd lost count how many times they'd gotten married. I also told it I'd attended at least three pre-wedding parties.

It told me I should give a present of $-160. 

THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME A NEW TOY
    You really need to share this with the class.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Was it this one? http://www.theweddingenvelope.com/calculator.php Says my friends should have given me $250. :-p Um no, I would not expect that.

• edited September 2014
    Was it this one? http://www.theweddingenvelope.com/calculator.php Says my friends should have given me $250. :-p Um no, I would not expect that.
    YES THAT'S IT IT IS SO FUN. I got it to tell me I should have been paid $204 to not go to a wedding in Quebec. 

ETA: It's also completely ridiculous, but still. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Was it this one? http://www.theweddingenvelope.com/calculator.php Says my friends should have given me $250. :-p Um no, I would not expect that.
    YES THAT'S IT IT IS SO FUN. I got it to tell me I should have been paid $204 to not go to a wedding in Quebec. 

That is seriously dangerous.

According to that, my sister should be writing us a check for $385...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Even though we specifically said no gifts for our engagement party, almost everyone brought gifts. A lot of people asked where we were registered. Um... no where. Because it's just an engagement party? I was confused, but hey if you wanna give me a gift that bad, go ahead! 

The best was that a LOT of people brought bottles of vodka. Because they know me. 

The worst was that a friend gave me a plastic glittery sign that said "Welcome" in a really bad font. Plastic, no. Glitter, for the love of god no. Hanging signs in my house, no. Ugly font, aw hell no. She still got a prompt thank-you card of course but the unfortunate sign went to Goodwill. 
    It's probably because you specifically said it. Whenever I see "no gifts" I think "if they have to say no gifts, it's probably because they assume everyone will bring gifts, and a lot of people don't follow instructions and might have planned a gift already if apparently everyone knows you bring gifts, so what if they all still DO bring gifts and I'm the only one empty-handed? Better get a gift."

• One of H's parents friends sent us a crystal clam with a pearl. Still not sure what to do with it :/

It's probably because you specifically said it. Whenever I see "no gifts" I think "if they have to say no gifts, it's probably because they assume everyone will bring gifts, and a lot of people don't follow instructions and might have planned a gift already if apparently everyone knows you bring gifts, so what if they all still DO bring gifts and I'm the only one empty-handed? Better get a gift."

Sorry, SIB. We never mentioned anything about gifts until people asked us, at which point we said "please don't bring any gifts." Which is why I was so confused. Maybe I just don't understand engagement parties? But most people just brought something simple like a bottle of wine or-- like I said-- vodka so it's not like I was upset in the least! 

Sorry, SIB. We never mentioned anything about gifts until people asked us, at which point we said "please don't bring any gifts." Which is why I was so confused. Maybe I just don't understand engagement parties? But most people just brought something simple like a bottle of wine or-- like I said-- vodka so it's not like I was upset in the least! 
    Ah. Then yeah, they must have just thought you'd be thirsty. :)

• duhitsd said:
    I think what struck me as weirdest was getting $140 from a friend for the wedding. Seemed like such a strange amount.
    Maybe they were going for 150 but didn't have a 10? That is kind of odd.
    That's what I was thinking.  Was it cash?  Did they hit up an ATM that only spit 20s and didn't want to exceed 150 lol.
    Nope, it was a check.

• One of H's parents friends sent us a crystal clam with a pearl.

Still not sure what to do with it :/

My mom used to have one of those! She collected Swarovski crystal animals for a while.

The worst was that a friend gave me a plastic glittery sign that said "Welcome" in a really bad font. Plastic, no. Glitter, for the love of god no. <\strong>Hanging signs in my house, no. Ugly font, aw hell no. She still got a prompt thank-you card of course but the unfortunate sign went to Goodwill. 
    Glitter is the WORST. It gets everywhere. What is it they say, it's the herpes of the craft world?
  • Why do you think 140 is weird. Maybe they wanted to give you more than 100 but less than 150. That's the amount they wanted to give you. It is even, it's just not 150 or 100 or 125. Would 120 be ok?
     I've given 75, 100, 150, and 200 at weddings before.  I also gave my friend's daughter 35 for her birthday. Is that too weird a number. I wanted to give more  25 but less than 50. 

We got a check for 201.57 and it was my friend who I guess always does wacky amounts for people. That was a strange enough amount that I texted him and his wife and asked if it meant anything. His wife texted me back said her husband was laughing because it always gets a rise out of people. He just wants to be funny. (It was also $1.57 more than we gave them for their wedding last year, so maybe they wanted to up us.)

• edited September 2014

Why do you think 140 is weird. Maybe they wanted to give you more than 100 but less than 150. That's the amount they wanted to give you. It is even, it's just not 150 or 100 or 125. Would 120 be ok?

I've given 75, 100, 150, and 200 at weddings before.  I also gave my friend's daughter 35 for her birthday. Is that too weird a number. I wanted to give more  25 but less than 50. 

We got a check for 201.57 and it was my friend who I guess always does wacky amounts for people. That was a strange enough amount that I texted him and his wife and asked if it meant anything. His wife texted me back said her husband was laughing because it always gets a rise out of people. He just wants to be funny. (It was also $1.57 more than we gave them for their wedding last year, so maybe they wanted to up us.)

It is weird because we've been conditioned to count many things in quarters. It's the same with wedding times - a ceremony may start at 4:30, 4:45 or 5:00, but rarely is one scheduled to start at 4:40. The 25th and 50th wedding anniversaries are traditionally big deals, but less so for 40th. I never said it was "too weird," in fact I said it was generous. Any amount, or no amount, is ok. It's just weird.

• 2 kinda odd gifts...both received at our wedding.

1) friends of my dad's had sent us two of our china settings in advance of our wedding (prompt ty note sent). At wedding, the wife gave us two hand towels she picked up at local craft fair, one with a car with "just married" embroidered and the other with a wedding cake and 2 lovebirds on top complete with top hat and veil on the birds.....nice sweet gesture, but the towels were hideous in design execution and colors. I still sent lovely gushing ty note thanking them for towels and attending our wedding. My mom saw the towels a month later and asked wth were those things.

2) another friend of dads got us a Swedish door harp. I guess this thing has a nice chime to it but we haven't messed with the tuning too much and can't hang it on the metal door of our rental place so it sounds a bit off.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa...Quebec is gorgeous excuse you lol. They told me I should be giving $265 to my FBIL's wedding next August. They didn't have an international or UK option for location though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The strangest gift we received was a single place setting from H's co-worker.  No-one purchased any more of it (H's grandma told him she was going to, but didn't), so it was just odd to have one.  I mean the gift itself was very nice, but the idea of having just one was weird.  Since we can't afford to get any more place settings, we returned it.  Instead we got 12 settings of everyday dishes that match our others.

Also at my shower, a friend gave me a bottle of Fireballwith a bow on it.  I love Fireball, but it was an odd shower gift.

• 2 kinda odd gifts...both received at our wedding. 1) friends of my dad's had sent us two of our china settings in advance of our wedding (prompt ty note sent). At wedding, the wife gave us two hand towels she picked up at local craft fair, one with a car with "just married" embroidered and the other with a wedding cake and 2 lovebirds on top complete with top hat and veil on the birds.....nice sweet gesture, but the towels were hideous in design execution and colors. I still sent lovely gushing ty note thanking them for towels and attending our wedding. My mom saw the towels a month later and asked wth were those things. 

2) another friend of dads got us a Swedish door harp. I guess this thing has a nice chime to it but we haven't messed with the tuning too much and can't hang it on the metal door of our rental place so it sounds a bit off.
    My Mom and my Grandmother both used to have those. I always loved them as a kid. Although they never hung them on the outside of the door. I think the MN weather would have ruined it very quickly. My Mom hung hers in the entry near the front door. 
  • cupcait927cupcait927 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    Ooo I can play now! H and I got a gift card from one of my friends - $80 for a local spa. I am about 99% sure that this is a regift. She had gotten a gift card to this spa from her ex boyfriend YEARS ago and never used it (used to mention fairly regularly that she still had it). She lives in another state now and obviously has no use for it any longer.  I'm hoping it still has the $80 on it so H and I can put it towards massages!
  • We got one sleeping bag. Just one. Very confusing since I'm chunky and H is 6'3… I mean I know we're supposed to get close during the honeymoon period but uhh…

That is seriously dangerous.

According to that, my sister should be writing us a check for $385...
    Holy crap. I just used this pretending to be my BFF bridesmaid. It said $260 and she actually gave us a generous $250. Hot damn. 

• TKzilla said:
    We got one sleeping bag. Just one. Very confusing since I'm chunky and H is 6'3… I mean I know we're supposed to get close during the honeymoon period but uhh…
    Threadjacking for a moment... @TKzilla we got these Coleman Big and Tall sleeping bags (both of them!) since H is also 6'3" and they're AWESOME. (They changed the name since we got them, but the description still says big & tall)

• TKzilla said:
    We got one sleeping bag. Just one. Very confusing since I'm chunky and H is 6'3… I mean I know we're supposed to get close during the honeymoon period but uhh…
    Threadjacking for a moment... @TKzilla we got these Coleman Big and Tall sleeping bags (both of them!) since H is also 6'3" and they're AWESOME. (They changed the name since we got them, but the description still says big & tall)
    Those are the ones we registered for lol the woman got us one sleeping bag and it wasn't even the right one!!!
  • TKzilla said:
    TKzilla said:
    Those are the ones we registered for lol the woman got us one sleeping bag and it wasn't even the right one!!!
    Hahaha... well alrighty then. I hope you were able to exchange the wrong one for two right ones with a completion discount!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards