Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Budget Honeymoon Ideas!

edited October 2014 in Honeymoon Discussions
Hi everyone! 

I'm looking for some ideas for my honeymoon, it will be the second week of August.  We live and will be having the wedding in Connecticut. 
We are hoping to stay around or under 3K.  My FH works freelance and I am in school so funds are very limited, but we really want to be able to get away for a week, I have never really traveled outside of the East Coast.

I am willing to stay in the country, or travel internationally, but I am super stuck with where we would enjoy going.  We enjoy having activities to do, but would also like some down time, especially with our crazy schedules at home.  If anyone could offer suggestions or advice on how to make a decision, it'd be greatly appreaciated! 

Re: Budget Honeymoon Ideas!

• Options
    The issue is that everyone defines "budget" and "cheap" differently! One person may think splurging is $1k and another may think it's $10k. Plus, there will be dramatic price differences depending on destination. Europe in summer is pricey, while it's a bit less expensive of a time to travel to the Caribbean. So any number that you are comfortable with is good to know for providing suggestions!

• Options
    We are probably looking to do something for under 3K.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    Cruise!  You have lots of relaxing time, and several lines sail from New York.  Norwegian goes round trip to Bermuda, and Royal Carribean go to the Bahamas.  There are also cruises that go from New York to Canada in the fall.  Read the sticky I wrote at the top of this forum.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Cruise!  You have lots of relaxing time, and several lines sail from New York.  Norwegian goes round trip to Bermuda, and Royal Carribean go to the Bahamas.  There are also cruises that go from New York to Canada in the fall.  Read the sticky I wrote at the top of this forum.
    What CMGragain said.  It'll give you the tropical feel while not costing you flights since you'd be able to drive to the port.  Double win!
  • Options
    We attended a wedding last year in Cancun. All inclusive for 6 nights plus flights from Boston was $1,000 each. We had a great time. We relaxed on the beach a lot, but also took a day tour to see ancient Mayan ruins which was awesome. My husband is always talking about what a great value it was for the money. If you stay in the states you have to add in food and it basically adds up to the same price.

• Options
    Do you happen to know what the resort was? I have looked into a few all inclusive, but I want to be careful since some of them don't tell you the whole truth. 

I will definetely look into cruises as well!
  • Options
    If you are looking into cruises, you need to talk to a travel agent that specializes in cruises.  I will share mine with anybody who asks.  He works for one of the big on line companies, and I've been using him for years.  Just PM me.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

Do you happen to know what the resort was? I have looked into a few all inclusive, but I want to be careful since some of them don't tell you the whole truth. 

I will definetely look into cruises as well!
    There a literally hundreds of good resorts in Cancun/Mayan Riviera (nicer for a honeymoon, same airport) and they are great for inexperienced travellers as well as being economical even for fairly nice properties. A travel agent can offer suggestions and Trip Advisor is a good resource as well. You don't have to read every review but it's a good idea to look at places that are near the top of the rankings there. Dominican Republic is also beautiful and reasonable, but the best thing to do is check with a travel agent about where the sun vacation packages with nonstop flights go from your area. Where I live, we only get Mexico/Dominican/Cuba/Jamaica/Costa Rica, but you may have more options. The nonstop flight/hotel/transfer packages from charter airlines/tour companies are usually the best value if all you want is a beach and maybe some little villages for shopping and water sports/day tours.

I used to be a travel agent and this kind of thing is like 80% of what I booked for leisure travellers. It's totally worth it to go get some advice from someone if an all-inclusive is what you want.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My husband and I did 5 nights in Jamaica at Couples Tower Isle for $2,600 (including flights) in peak season at Christmas.  It was the most relaxing 5 days in the 5 years we've been together.  The food and service were fantastic.  They include all the excursions except golf and horseback riding--you pay extra for those.  You can go sailing, snorkeling from a glass bottom boat, take reggae dance lessons, make crafts (I skipped this), take a Caribbean cooking class, or take a quick boat ride to their private island for topless or nude sunbathing (it was fun).  They have tennis equipment to borrow.  Mostly we ate, drank, and sat in the sun doing nothing.  Given how much we both work, it was exactly what we needed.  No problems with the all-inclusive aspects, too--if anything, the drinks were too strong for me!  Endless sparkling wine.  I have nothing but great things to say about our trip there.  I doubt August is peak season, so it may even be cheaper.
  • Options
    CheapCarribean.com!!! I just took a vacay through there!!! We went to Rivera Maya and stayed at The Catolonia Royal Tulum. Adults only all inclusive, no reservations required at the restaurants. Best beach on the strip (though there are a lot of Italians on the beach with no tops, which I thought might bother me and make me jealous my fiancé was looking at them, but it didn't bother me at all.) Instead of spending a fortune on excursions, walk out to the street and take the public transport for 3 bucks and it will take you into town for shopping, to Akumal beach, Tulum, cenotes... Its pretty perfect!!! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards