Registry and Gift Forum

Chef knives

Hi Everyone, 

I'm registering for nice knives (Wosthof Classic) and don't know whether to get the 6" or 8" cooks knife.  I'm leaning towards he 6" because I don't feel like I'll use a huge knife as much, but it seems like the 8" is more common.  What does everyone feel is more appropriate and what do you use the most?

Re: Chef knives

• Both?

Honestly, it's a mostly a matter of preference and that's it.  The 8" has become the standard, but there's no reason why you can't go for the 6".  I would lean toward the 8" though because you can always use an 8" for finer/smaller tasks, but say you have a somewhat large item, it's going to be more difficult getting through it with a 6".  (Although, truthfully, my actual preference is a Santoku blade).  The 8" is a great all-purpose workhorse.  But if most of your kitchen knife needs involve chopping parsley and paring things, then the 6" makes more sense.

The only other thing where the 6" might make more sense is if you are particularly petite with very small hands - then the 6" is probably going to be more in your comfort zone.  However, if FI is not also petite with small hands and will potentially be using the knives, get the 8".  Or again...both.  (Or an 8" chef and a 6.5" Santoku.)
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    honestly, both. ETA - IMO, there is no such thing as too many knives.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • 8". 6" isn't very big at all for a chef's knife (that's the size of our paring knife). FWIW, I'm small and have small hands and I'd never use anything shorter than 8". 
  • I'd also register for both. I got the 12-piece set with block (was a huge surprise to get that), plus the 7" santoku, and then Wusthof had a bonus utility knife free by mail once a certain amount was purchased off the registry. Honestly, I've used them all! But yes, if you're only getting one, go for the bigger one. And make sure you add a nice wood or bamboo cutting board!

• Ditto PPs. Why can't you register for both? I can't imagine a good reason, but if I HAD to pick, I'd choose the 8".
    *********************************************************************************

• I'd go for a santoku too but if not, do the 8". We almost exclusively use our santoku (except when using our paring knife).
  • zombie - closing.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards