Destination Weddings Discussions

Freaking out about the weather!!

Hey ladies! So I just passed my 1 year away mark on September 4th! Yay! But I'm totally panicking about what the weather will be like in Mexico next Sept mainly because I have been checking the weather there to see what it's like this time of year and every day there is a 80-90% chance of rain! Lol. Not good.

As I have only been to Mexico in March is there anyone that has traveled in the rainy season June-oct and how bad was it?? Is it like FL where it rains a lot but just a sprinkle during the day? Thanks!

Re: Freaking out about the weather!!

• You're going to Cancun, right? It's a tropical climate and similar to Florida, it can rain there at any time during any season. However, it's usually afternoon-eveningish. Also, keep in mind that rainy season is different than hurricane season. Hurricane season is mid June-October and rainy season is August-end of November. So, you can get a lot of rain in hurricane season, but it will be tied to a specific storm. Rainy season will just have those afternoon rains. But, again, they can happen during high season as well because of the tropical climate.

I seriously would not think anything of this, especially a year out. 

• We spend a lot of time down in Cozumel and got married down there in May. Yes, it's a lot like Florida. It rains everyday, but not all day everyday. It even rained during my reception, but I had a beautiful ceremony. Just make sure you have a rain plan for any outdoor actvitities. :)
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Ok thanks ladies! Yah we are getting married in Playa Del Carmen, about 40 min from Cancun. I know I shouldnt panic now it's just hard not to. I have a friend that went for a wedding last Sep and she said it never rained and was beautiful every day so I hope I get that luck!!
  • I've been to Cancun 3 times and will be getting married near there next year (just a bit past Playa) and I always watched the weather before I left and there was rain predicted everyday, and it never happened.
  • Good to know!! That makes me feel better, thanks @BreMR !
  • no problem :) I should actually say "never" means it wasn't constant rain like they predicted. There were times I'd run into the resort to change my dress and come out and the ground was wet but the sun was shining so I knew in about 10 minutes it had rained.  If your wedding is planned for a certain time they will monitor the weather and push it back if they have to.  I also watched a crap ton of weddings at the resort we stayed at and never did they get moved indoors!!! 
  • I was at a wedding in late September in the Riviera Maya and we did get a little bit of rain but otherwise it was beautiful!
  • Good news! Thanks @bkelm Hopefully it all works out but it seems as if the resort has a pretty good backup plan if it does

• Latillo said:
    Hey ladies! So I just passed my 1 year away mark on September 4th! Yay! But I'm totally panicking about what the weather will be like in Mexico next Sept mainly because I have been checking the weather there to see what it's like this time of year and every day there is a 80-90% chance of rain! Lol. Not good. As I have only been to Mexico in March is there anyone that has traveled in the rainy season June-oct and how bad was it?? Is it like FL where it rains a lot but just a sprinkle during the day? Thanks!

I have been to two destination weddings in the rainy season one in DR end October one in riviera maya beginning of November...they were both terrible rained the whole time maybe had one sunny day. Neither could have the reception outside they were able to have the ceremony on the beach but it was drizzling on and off. Having a wedding in the caribbean/gulf of Mexico during the those months to cut costs just made it be a waste for me taking a weeks vacation in rain. I also live in Florida and it just finally stopped raining after two weeks straight. You are always taking a huge risk during these months. I am planning my beach wedding right now in fl and venues actually tried talking me into changing to sept or august I laughed and said they are insane it's hot and rainy.....best wishes to you and your DW but two of my times were terrible
  • Just to add to that comment I am not friends with either of the evil bitches who got married there so maybe it was just a curse to them they are sisters and both completely trashy and so happy I will not be having them attend my wedding...types of people who beat people up cuz they think it's funny at the reception....so maybe it was just karma for dumb c$&ts
  • I grew up in Florida and always found Sept. and Oct. to be the most gorgeous weather of the entire year. Summer we'd have thunderstorms every day at 4:00 and it would clear up by 6:00 - 6:30. Jan. - March I always found to be rainy and miserable. Weird.

We were in Tulum and Maroma Beach last month from Sept. 10 - 21st. It rained one day. The 11th. Our wedding was at 5:00 on the 13th and our weather was beautiful the entire day. Until right after dessert. It started pouring. We moved indoors. We didn't really care. We were filled with too much love, joy and tequila to let some rain bug us. A good portion of our guests were soaked anyway since they jumped in the pool fully clothed moments earlier anyway!

Our weather was great otherwise. And the savings was worth it. But the best part of all is off-season the resorts are neither packed full of people nor are they crawling with children.

Because of the humidity anywhere in the tropics the "chance of rain" is pretty much almost always over 40%. And a lot of times they're quick, passing storms. I'm not saying rain never happens in the rainy season, but they odds are excellent you'll not see consistent, (what feels like) never-ending rain.
  • Thank you @mrs4everhart !! Just what I needed to hear! Sounds like you had an amazing wedding and your weather was great! Where did you have your actual wedding at?

• Latillo said:

Thank you @mrs4everhart !! Just what I needed to hear! Sounds like you had an amazing wedding and your weather was great! Where did you have your actual wedding at?

We had the absolute time of our lives. Our guests had an outstanding time as well, barring a few minor annoyances (not much to be done about mosquitos in the tropics type thing - bring lots of bug repellent or bug bands).

We had our wedding at Dreams Tulum. It's family-friendly (if this is a consideration for you). Truly, (again barring a few minor things) it was absolutely wonderful. The resort is beautiful as are the pools and the beach. The food is very good (not OMG GREAT) but it's an all-inclusive resort that has enough variety and such for everyone to be happy. And that was really important to us. 

We honeymooned at Secrets Maroma Beach. Secrets is owned by AmResorts, as is Dreams and it's adults-only and higher up the tier. It was fantastic! 

Message me if you have any specific questions I can answer for you.

• Awesome! Thank you! We are actually getting married at Secrets Maroma on Sept 4th! I will definitely message you with questions @mrs4everhart :)
  • Latillo said:
    Awesome! Thank you! We are actually getting married at Secrets Maroma on Sept 4th! I will definitely message you with questions @mrs4everhart :)
    Any time! We loved it there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards