Honeymoon Discussions

FL Keys tips?

H and I are planning to go to the FL keys in February/March for our honeymoon. Any tips of what to do or not to do?

We're more outdoorsy than we are huge partiers. 

Thanks!
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: FL Keys tips?

• I've only been to Key West-definitely be careful about what kind of sunset cruise you take-some are enormous party boats with bands/djs. We did a sail on the Adirondak III, which was wonderful. They do have unlimited wine and beer, but it was a very low key, relaxing sail.

We did a sail/snorkel/kayak tour with Danger charters and had a really awesome experience. The crew could not have been nicer or more helpful. The kayaking portion was pretty short, if you want to do some serious kayaking I would book a separate tour.

We went to the Dry Tortugas which I found kind of underwhelming, for the price and the time it takes to get there and back. The boat ride to the island was fine, on the way back I felt like "get me off this damn boat." We swam out to the coral heads off shore (which is not far, and we were the only ones out there). They were just OK. If you haven't snorkeled many places, then maybe they would be more impressive. But I've been to Belize and Hawaii, which are 1000x better in terms of sea life. 

We did a SNUBA tour with SNUBA of Key West. I've never done SNUBA before, so it was fun going deeper than snorkeling, and it was very easy. The sea life was just OK. 

• jenna8984jenna8984 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014

• It all depends on your budget. I live in central Florida and we go a couple (or three) times a year. Favorites include: 1. Dinner at Lattitudes at the Westin. Make a reservation and eat on the sand at sunset 2. Dinner aboard Islescapes. It's a private dinner on a boat with just another couple. 3. Lloyd's Bike Tour. Lots of fun and stops along the way. 4. Dry Tortugas. It's beautiful, but be warned. We took the boat (2 & 1/2 hours) on a day with high seas. I puked the entire way there and back. 5. Butterfly Conservatory. (Also, go to the Rum Bar across the street. Best drinks in KW) 6. Moët champagne sunset cruise. Small catamaran with champagne! 7. Better than Sex dessert cafe. Delicious and naughty. :-) 8. Smather's beach has kayak/paddle board/Hobie Cat rentals. Lots of fun That should be a good start. :-)
  • If you aren't huge partiers, I would suggest staying at one of the other keys and take in more outdoors type activities (also can save some serious $). I've stayed in Marathon with Fi and it was a 45 min drive to Key West, and we really enjoyed being able to get lost (so to speak) in the mangroves and explore the smaller keys.

imageimage

• I live in south florida and we go down to the keys religiously. During your traveling time keep in mind that the water will be cold. You can google Key West Fury Adventures for some fun, or go to food and wine festival held every January =) or for underwater experience you can visit John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards