Snarky Brides
Options

Oh my word (long. really long, but easily skimable)

Ok, a little background: I went to an uber christian, conservative elementary-highschool and church. This was posted by the little sister of a friend (who has read all the books, seen all the movies and sons name is "Emmett"). Stuff like this pisses me off to no end.

I want to come back with an awesome comment but I haven't come up with one yet.

Here it is:

http://www.afa.net/Blogs/BlogPost.aspx?id=2147495949

Re: Oh my word (long. really long, but easily skimable)

• Options
    Ew.  So are religious people not allowed to enjoy fiction novels?

That crap annoys the shiit out of me too. 
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I usually feel sorry for people like this.  To not understand the point of fiction is sad and to find the devil or demons in everything must lead to a pretty paranoid life. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_oh-word-long-really-long-but-easily-skimable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e092a1b-bd98-4416-a3c7-00acc91984a4Post:db50697c-bd47-470f-bae5-fa773a117869">Re: Oh my word (long. really long, but easily skimable)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ew.  So are religious people not allowed to enjoy fiction novels? That crap annoys the shiit out of me too. 
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

This wasn't at all the point of the blog. This girl is not liking the movie and that is ok but she is comparing it to girls wanting the relationship from the movie for real life....etc..

She is religious and <strong>doesn't</strong> like this fiction novel/movie.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_oh-word-long-really-long-but-easily-skimable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e092a1b-bd98-4416-a3c7-00acc91984a4Post:4f7a643e-a2f9-4ea9-9829-e0cd16a78d48">Re: Oh my word (long. really long, but easily skimable)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh my word (long. really long, but easily skimable) : This wasn't at all the point of the blog. This girl is not liking the movie and that is ok but she is comparing it to girls wanting the relationship from the movie for real life....etc.. She is religious and doesn't like this fiction novel/movie.
    Posted by playtnteppg27[/QUOTE]

While I only skimmed through the blog post, the writer clearly calls the entire saga "spiritually dangerous" and goes onto write about religion throughout the post. She does not believe Christians should read the books and gives reasons why, as well as excuses to tell children as to why, it isn't appropriate to read the book. <-- That is what I got out of the point of the blog.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm strangely fascinated by conservative evangelicals making these kinds of claims. If everything is so demonic and sin-inducing, they must be really bored. Maybe they should take up basket weaving.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Basket weaving is the Devil's hobby!
  • Options

This is similar to the Christians down here trying to ban Harry Potter books from school libraries.

• Options
    Oh for heaven's sakes.

Ricks, I remember the Harry Potter drama.  People need to get a life. 
  • Options
    You're right, Cew. It probably is. The devil must be very patient.
  • Options
    Yeah, this shiit irritates me also.  This is just one of many reasons I refuse to join a church and pick a specific religion.  But that's just me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_oh-word-long-really-long-but-easily-skimable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e092a1b-bd98-4416-a3c7-00acc91984a4Post:9e9a9144-d20b-416a-ba77-93c52b1459a7">Re: Oh my word (long. really long, but easily skimable)</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're right, Cew. It probably is. The devil must be very patient.
    Posted by MarriedInAFever[/QUOTE]

Yes, but only with basket weaving because it's his favorite hobby Otherwise, he's a real bastard most of the time.
  • Options
    What I always wanted to know, with a real answer, is why Harry Potter and Twilight are evil, but Lord of the Rings is was great! 

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Options
    ugh this is just annoying. fiction=not real. Fiction reading= escapism. You escape into a NOT REAL world.

I went to Catholic school my whole life and I am not catholic. I was really into emo/punk music around that time... and you would have thought I took up devil worshipping.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    I think they ("they" being the hardcore evangelicals who have problems with HP and the Twilight series) had beef with Lord of the Rings too.  At least, they did in my area.  There may have been one or two kids in my class who didn't have to read The Hobbit with us, but I could be imagining that. 
  • Options

This chick needs to get real.  It's a story, for chrissakes.

Granted it's kind of a crappy story with poor writing and even worse acting in the films, but it's still just a story.

• Options
    FI and his family live 2 minutes from a church that had a Harry Potter book burning.  I'm looking forward to moving near them.
  • Options
    Stephenie Meyer is part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ( aka  the Mormons ) . But what most people don't realize is that Mormons are Christians .

Sorry fun facts , you know .lol.

Gosh its  freaking books ( and movies )  . People are crazy
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Cew, you are a genius.
  • Options
    Most people don't know that Mormons are Christians?  That's frightening.  There seems to be a lot of confusion (among Christians especially) as to the definition of the word Christian.  If you define it as "one who believes that Jesus Christ is the savior of mankind," it clears up a lot of confusion.  It would also prevent people for saying "well that's not very Christian of you."  Really?  What do my actions have to do with my belief that Jesus is the son of God? 

I remember one time in college someone was bragging that he had got one of his friends to start coming to FCA and that he "got him saved" and helped him become a Christian.  Someone asked what he was before and he said Catholic.  I always thought people like that were the exception and not the rule though. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_oh-word-long-really-long-but-easily-skimable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e092a1b-bd98-4416-a3c7-00acc91984a4Post:1f41d1cb-fd47-49c0-ae60-2cac8c90eca2">Re: Oh my word (long. really long, but easily skimable)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh my word (long. really long, but easily skimable) : While I only skimmed through the blog post, the writer clearly calls the entire saga "spiritually dangerous" and goes onto write about religion throughout the post. She does not believe Christians should read the books and gives reasons why, as well as excuses to tell children as to why, it isn't appropriate to read the book. <-- That is what I got out of the point of the blog.
    Posted by JadziaDax[/QUOTE]

AHAHA reading fail on my part of course.
    Or I just said it wrong which I do a lot.
    thanks  you said it way better then I did.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If you think that is weird, try reading the movie reviews on the USCCB website.
    http://www.usccb.org/movies/
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    If you have beef with HP or Twilight, then your kids better never touch The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland or any other work of fantasy or fiction. A Christmas Carol has ghosts, which according to christians, don't exist and should not be entertained as existing. Unless, of course, it's FICTION.

The ability to differentiate between reality and fantasy is the stronghold of the Christain faith. To wholeheartedly believe in the virgin birth, crucifiction and resurrection of Christ as absolute truth while dismissing every other impossibility is the very defining marker of a Christian. To single out specific works of fantasy and apply this fear and hatred to them again and again shows your weakness as a Christian. If you want to give something power, then repeatedly call it out and try to banish it publicly. That's the quickest way to make you look like the idiot who can't distinguish fact from fiction. Those who truly don't believe it and won't let it influence themselves simply dismiss things like Twilight, or embrace them for what they are: An escape and something that is so untrue and implausible it is simple entertainment only. Burning books and denouncing it as something that is influencing you only makes it more important that it should be.
  • Options
    Thank you, Bec, for expressing my feelings so well.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

While I'm not religious at all and usually just ignore the crazed religious rantings about books that are "spiritually dangerous" I do kind of agree that it's a little scary that the Edward-Bella relationship is what 8 year old girls are idolizing.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_oh-word-long-really-long-but-easily-skimable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e092a1b-bd98-4416-a3c7-00acc91984a4Post:15499827-2208-42a9-a148-9af5a8ece8c7">Re: Oh my word (long. really long, but easily skimable)</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have beef with HP or Twilight, then your kids better never touch The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland or any other work of fantasy or fiction. A Christmas Carol has ghosts, which according to christians, don't exist and should not be entertained as existing. Unless, of course, it's FICTION. The ability to differentiate between reality and fantasy is the stronghold of the Christain faith. To wholeheartedly believe in the virgin birth, crucifiction and resurrection of Christ as absolute truth while dismissing every other impossibility is the very defining marker of a Christian. To single out specific works of fantasy and apply this fear and hatred to them again and again shows your weakness as a Christian. If you want to give something power, then repeatedly call it out and try to banish it publicly. That's the quickest way to make you look like the idiot who can't distinguish fact from fiction. Those who truly don't believe it and won't let it influence themselves simply dismiss things like Twilight, or embrace them for what they are: An escape and something that is so untrue and implausible it is simple entertainment only. Burning books and denouncing it as something that is influencing you only makes it more important that it should be.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

This exactly! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_oh-word-long-really-long-but-easily-skimable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e092a1b-bd98-4416-a3c7-00acc91984a4Post:e1dc8ad4-ceba-4ddf-af12-2f509f3cf4fb">Re: Oh my word (long. really long, but easily skimable)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most people don't know that Mormons are Christians?  That's frightening.  There seems to be a lot of confusion (among Christians especially) as to the definition of the word Christian.  If you define it as "one who believes that Jesus Christ is the savior of mankind," it clears up a lot of confusion.  It would also prevent people for saying "well that's not very Christian of you."  Really?  What do my actions have to do with my belief that Jesus is the son of God?  I remember one time in college someone was bragging that he had got one of his friends to start coming to FCA and that he "got him saved" and helped him become a Christian.  Someone asked what he was before and he said Catholic.  I always thought people like that were the exception and not the rule though. 
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

Its  true .  There is a surprising number of people who  say Mormons are   not christians
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_oh-word-long-really-long-but-easily-skimable?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e092a1b-bd98-4416-a3c7-00acc91984a4Post:15499827-2208-42a9-a148-9af5a8ece8c7">Re: Oh my word (long. really long, but easily skimable)</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you have beef with HP or Twilight, then your kids better never touch The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland or any other work of fantasy or fiction. A Christmas Carol has ghosts, which according to christians, don't exist and should not be entertained as existing. Unless, of course, it's FICTION. The ability to differentiate between reality and fantasy is the stronghold of the Christain faith. To wholeheartedly believe in the virgin birth, crucifiction and resurrection of Christ as absolute truth while dismissing every other impossibility is the very defining marker of a Christian. To single out specific works of fantasy and apply this fear and hatred to them again and again shows your weakness as a Christian. If you want to give something power, then repeatedly call it out and try to banish it publicly. That's the quickest way to make you look like the idiot who can't distinguish fact from fiction. Those who truly don't believe it and won't let it influence themselves simply dismiss things like Twilight, or embrace them for what they are: An escape and something that is so untrue and implausible it is simple entertainment only. Burning books and denouncing it as something that is influencing you only makes it more important that it should be.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

I agree.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Sorry I had posted and ran.

I am still a Christian but I firmly believe nothing can affect you if you do not allow it. Everyone has a will of their own.

I consider commenting and saying "I could see how this could be a problem if vampires were real or if you're unable to think for yourself"

Stuff like this pisses me off to no end. It makes all Christians look like crazy, paranoid, bible thumpers.

I posted on my FB that "I had a dream that a canabalistic clown was chasing me, what does that say about me?" Must mean I'm now a devil worshipper...
  • Options
    Oh and my church also would preach against Harry Potter so I'm sure they're preaching against Twilight as well. Glad I don't go there anymore.
  • Options
    The church I used to belong to defined a Christian as someone who believes in the Triune God (father, son and holy spirit in one), so they didn't consider Mormons to be Christians.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards