Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Love the venue, hate the bathroom :/

I know the bathroom is the least of my concerns, but I found this place that I adore. Lots of charm! The bathrooms aren't THAT bad, it is a enclosed pavillion so I wasn't expecting the Ritz. It's a pavillion bathroom (mismatched sinks, cement floors, flush with your foot toilet, etc...) Anyone have suggestions how to jazz up a not so classy bathroom?

Re: Love the venue, hate the bathroom :/

• Options
    Make sure it's clean. Get this in the contract if necessary. Hire your own staff if necessary.

Put flowers in there. It'll make it smell good.
  • Options
    You could consider renting a restroom trailer. They dress some up quite fancy now.

I know that doesn't quite solve your question but it might be worth looking into.
  • Options
    id012id012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I would just make sure it was cleaned right before your wedding, add some fragrent flowers and maybe make a really pretty bathroom basket to place in there. 
    if the lighting is really bad you can hang christmas lights, but idno if that would be over kill for a bath room lol. 
  • Options
    I'd make sure it is super clean. And well stocked with paper towels and TP. A bathroom basket and flowers would be nice as well. 

If it's still not going to cut it, there are some pretty amazing portable units these days. Call whoever rents portable toilets in your area and see what they are able to provide. (Seriously, we used to be in the drain/sewer biz and they make portables that you'd swear were out of a brand new custom built home. Not even joking.)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_love-the-venue-hate-the-bathroom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:74493475-7521-4c06-8e9e-022caa0e2ca7Post:be57b8f3-b510-415e-9fdd-f0fb4b3488d7">Re: Love the venue, hate the bathroom :/</a>:
    [QUOTE](Seriously, we used to be in the drain/sewer biz and they make portables that you'd swear were out of a brand new custom built home. Not even joking.)
    Posted by willywally5[/QUOTE]
    Some of these portables look like the belong in million dollar homes! Granite countertops, wainscotting, video screens. Absolutely gorgeous!
  • Options
    As long as it's clean no one will care what the bathroom looks like.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Make sure it's clean.  If you want to add some extra touches, you can put some flowers and a bathroom basket (lotion, nice soap, clear nail polish, etc.) in as well.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_love-the-venue-hate-the-bathroom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:74493475-7521-4c06-8e9e-022caa0e2ca7Post:6bb711ef-d240-4d24-b526-db5632c33205">Re: Love the venue, hate the bathroom :/</a>:
    [QUOTE]As long as it's clean no one will care what the bathroom looks like.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

This.  It is a bathroom where guests go to pee and poop (if necessary).  It isn't like your guests will be hanging out in there all night even if the bathroom was super fancy.  You are over thinking this.  Just make sure it is clean and well stocked with soap, toilet paper and paper towels and you are good to go.

• Options
    I wasn't going to bother with bathroom baskets, but once I chose my venue, I decided that the lackluster bathrooms needed them. I think it's going to help out a lot.
    And I wouldn't have given up on my venue because of the bathrooms.
  • Options
    Honestly, the only bathroom I remember from any wedding reception was the one at the Four Seasons in Boston.  This is not something people pay attention to or care about.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    I might be biased because I get really weird about bathrooms. They have to be clean, they can't smell weird, etc. If I'm on vacation, I will walk/drive further until I can find a nicer restroom!

Having said that, I've used restrooms like the one you describe. The biggest thing, like others said, it's gotta be CLEAN! It would also help to smell nice with flowers, scents, sprays, etc. Maybe some bathroom baskets to freshen the place up. Are there staff at the venue that can do periodic bathroom checks throughout the night to ensure it stays clean, instead of just cleaning once before the event begins?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options

fresh flowers and candles
    If there is room, a small couch or a couple of chairs to sit in. 
    Small area rug, basket filled with lotions, fragrance, etc

• Options
    Most importantly, make sure its very clean.  That's what matters.  If you want to pretty it up, add some flowers or candle as other pp suggested.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_love-the-venue-hate-the-bathroom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:74493475-7521-4c06-8e9e-022caa0e2ca7Post:6bb711ef-d240-4d24-b526-db5632c33205">Re: Love the venue, hate the bathroom :/</a>:
    [QUOTE]As long as it's clean no one will care what the bathroom looks like.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>This. I mean, it's nice if it's a fancy bathroom, but really... think about what's being done in there. lol I would add some flowers and maybe a bathroom basket (as PPs have said), otherwise make sure they will clean it right before the wedding.</div>
  • Options
    All that matters is that it's clean & is stocked with the necessities. The staff should take care of that. Of course it's nice to have a bouquet of flowers in there or a basket of emergency supplies, but I didn't feel they were necessary. Our bathrooms weren't spectacular either, but they were clean & functional. I think they had 1 extra vase of flowers so they threw it in there at the last minute. No basket. Everyone seemed to survive.
  • Options
    Porta potties if the restrooms are beyond the point of aesthetic quick fixes and cover ups. 
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_love-the-venue-hate-the-bathroom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:74493475-7521-4c06-8e9e-022caa0e2ca7Post:f2b7ab8f-1bf2-469d-90dd-1d5f7cc14682">Re: Love the venue, hate the bathroom :/</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, the only bathroom I remember from any wedding reception was the one at the Four Seasons in Boston.  This is not something people pay attention to or care about.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily true!  If the bathroom is ok, then people don't notice or care.  If the bathroom is dilapidated or broken, people notice.  When looking at reception venues, I made it a point to visit the bathrooms in each venue to make sure they were up to par.  I'm not saying they needed to be fancy with European bidets or anything, but they at least had to be pleasant.
    We were warned about one really nice venue, that the bathrooms were outdated and one of the toilet seats was broken (with no warning to guests).  When we visited that venue, we made a mental note  that if we chose to have our reception there, to choose the ballroom with the nicer bathrooms.  There was definitely a difference-we could tell one set was more updated than the other.
    So while it may not seem like a big deal, it is to me.  I don't want guests to be uncomfortable or skeeved out by the venue bathrooms.
    That said, it doesn't sound like the OP can do much about the bathroom situation, they are the way they are.  I agree with PPs that the OP should ensure that they are clean and well supplied, and that there are some additional ameneties for the guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards