Wedding 911

Changing the wedding venue. 6 weeks before wedding!!!!

Help!!!! Our invites are sitting here ready to be mailed and we have to change our venue!! We had a financial issue and a personal family issue(family knew venue owner) and now we can't have our wedding there. So I found 2 places. I know amazing! We either have it the same saturday the 22nd at a park building. The only problems there are it's a bit small and no alcohol. Or move it to Friday the 21st. My mom is worried people won't show up on Friday because it's well friday. People won't be able to get off work or just won't come. Which I know is true but our first venue was literally 2.5 hours away from most of our family and had already planned on a lot not coming anyway. I'm really not sure what to do.

Re: Changing the wedding venue. 6 weeks before wedding!!!!

• bback4 said:
    Help!!!! Our invites are sitting here ready to be mailed and we have to change our venue!! We had a financial issue and a personal family issue(family knew venue owner) and now we can't have our wedding there. So I found 2 places. I know amazing! We either have it the same saturday the 22nd at a park building. The only problems there are it's a bit small and no alcohol. Or move it to Friday the 21st. My mom is worried people won't show up on Friday because it's well friday. People won't be able to get off work or just won't come. Which I know is true but our first venue was literally 2.5 hours away from most of our family and had already planned on a lot not coming anyway. I'm really not sure what to do.
    I'm glad you found two options on such short notice. It sounds like either venue is a fine choice. What time would your Friday wedding be? If it is a bit later, it will be easier for people to make it. Is your crowd made up of mostly drinkers? Ours is and we know they'd have more fun at a wedding with a bar than one without. If your crowd is mostly non-drinkers and unlikely to miss the bar, they'd probably appreciate the more convenient day and time. I think it depends on your circle.

• My whole family is mostly drinkers. FH family (which is literally 6 people) are the only really non drinkers. I was thinking like 630 for the friday. Is that to early? There are some family members myself included with small kids so I don't want it to be to late either.

• bback4 said:
    My whole family is mostly drinkers. FH family (which is literally 6 people) are the only really non drinkers. I was thinking like 630 for the friday. Is that to early? There are some family members myself included with small kids so I don't want it to be to late either.
    How far do most guests have to travel? Figure people will aim to get to the ceremony 15-20 minute early. And they will need to get home from work, maybe shower, but definitely change. Does that mean they would have to leave their homes at 5 or 6? Rush hour traffic? Do they have enough time to get from work to home?
  • At six weeks, I think you need to stick with the same date regardless of whether or not alcohol is allowed.  Of course, I like a party with booze better than one without, but I'd rather not be showing up to a place only to find out the party was the night before.
  • The travel time for most is 15-45 min. 45 min being mainly my parents and grandparents and then a few more distant family members. I also considered doing the ceremony seperate. Just with immediate family then just do a reception that Friday.

Or have it saturday and then invite bridal party or anyone who wishes to come, to have an after party or actually go out.

This is all so stressful I am just ready to be done with it all. The drama that has gone on with this wedding is overwhelming.
  • bback4 said:
    The travel time for most is 15-45 min. 45 min being mainly my parents and grandparents and then a few more distant family members. I also considered doing the ceremony seperate. Just with immediate family then just do a reception that Friday. Or have it saturday and then invite bridal party or anyone who wishes to come, to have an after party or actually go out. This is all so stressful I am just ready to be done with it all. The drama that has gone on with this wedding is overwhelming.

I like the idea of an after party and keeping the same date. Don't just limit to the bridal party, however. Spread the party by word of mouth to everyone.
  • bback4 said:
    The travel time for most is 15-45 min. 45 min being mainly my parents and grandparents and then a few more distant family members. I also considered doing the ceremony seperate. Just with immediate family then just do a reception that Friday. Or have it saturday and then invite bridal party or anyone who wishes to come, to have an after party or actually go out. This is all so stressful I am just ready to be done with it all. The drama that has gone on with this wedding is overwhelming.

I like the idea of an after party and keeping the same date. Don't just limit to the bridal party, however. Spread the party by word of mouth to everyone.
    This, exactly. Keep the same date, then spread the word that you'll be going out afterwards. The drinkers can come if they wish, and if not, that's fine too!

My ceremony plans fell through 10 days before my first wedding and I definitely feel your pain. I had to call every guest and make sure they knew where the ceremony was going to be held, since invites had already gone out long before that. It was a nightmare. 
  • My fiancé just informed me last night he doesn't want to hang out with anyone after the wedding. Or have any kind of after party really. We aren't going on a honeymoon. I suggested getting a suite downtown(indianapolis) and then going out. He shot that down. I suggested a bonfire at someone's house and he shot that down to. So now I'm out of ideas.

The building we found at a park is kind of small. We are going to look at it tomorrow and I'm so afraid he will say no. I'm really stressing out over this and he doesn't understand.
  • bback4 said:
    My fiancé just informed me last night he doesn't want to hang out with anyone after the wedding. Or have any kind of after party really. We aren't going on a honeymoon. I suggested getting a suite downtown(indianapolis) and then going out. He shot that down. I suggested a bonfire at someone's house and he shot that down to. So now I'm out of ideas. The building we found at a park is kind of small. We are going to look at it tomorrow and I'm so afraid he will say no. I'm really stressing out over this and he doesn't understand.
    Well, has he offered other suggestions? 

I don't want to be too judgy based on one post, especially since it sounds like a very stressful situation which never brings out the best in people, but it's a bit concerning that he is being very negative about it.

• If you try to change your date, you could run into the problem of other vendors not being available on the new date. And yeah, has your fiance offered other suggestions when he shoots your ideas down?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards