Attire & Accessories Forum

Hepburn themed wedding

I have always been a HUGE fan of Audrey Hepburn! SO much that I am planning on basing my wedding theme around aspects of movies she's played in. For instance, My bridesmaids will be wearing black dresses and pearls. Has anyone else done black dresses for bridesmaids? how did you pull it off? I would really love to hear your thoughts and comments on this.

Re: Hepburn themed wedding

• My daughter had black bridesmaid dresses.  She let her friends select the style of their choosing so that it could actually become a dress that they would wear again.  Finding black dresses can be very affordable as well, since you can look at department stores.

If you insist that your wedding party wear matching jewelry, please be aware that such a cost should be covered by you.  It should also not be considered their "gift", since it really isn't a gift if it is something you want to complete your wedding look.
  • A few more pictures to help:
  • Lots of people do black dresses for BMs. Punch this into google images. 

If you are ok with having them in different styles you could just specify a length and fabric from a certain designer and let them choose. Or just let them buy their own LBD - I'd be thrilled if I were a BM in a wedding like that!
    *********************************************************************************

• I love the idea. You should have no trouble finding black BM dresses. I love pearls --- they're so classic. 
  • Black dresses for bridesmaids is a fantastic idea! They might even have a dress that would be perfect and not have to buy a new one at all. Plus, as PPs have said, you can get black dresses everywhere, so there's a ton more shopping options. Go for it! 
  • I wore a black dress for my cousin's wedding. I think that it is really pretty to have the BMs in that color. The pearls would be a nice touch, too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think dresses like this style would go perfect with my theme AND compliment MY dress... (shown) I am also thinking of tiffany blue shoes for my bridesmaids and icluding in their gift bags a pearl necklace that i will be making myself. :)
  • I think that is a great combo. Just remember that if you are requiring specific shoes, you need to pay for them. I love your dress btw.
  • I think that is a great combo. Just remember that if you are requiring specific shoes, you need to pay for them. I love your dress btw.
    i am actually revamping old shoes for them. You know those shoes in the back of the closet that still fit but are just not doing it for you anymore? They have all agreed to send me a pair and I am going to dazzle them out for them. :) They aren't spending any money, and they are getting a great new pair of old shoes that will wow them!!

• tiphenieB said:
    I think that is a great combo. Just remember that if you are requiring specific shoes, you need to pay for them. I love your dress btw.
    i am actually revamping old shoes for them. You know those shoes in the back of the closet that still fit but are just not doing it for you anymore? They have all agreed to send me a pair and I am going to dazzle them out for them. :) They aren't spending any money, and they are getting a great new pair of old shoes that will wow them!!

Whaaaaaaat? Can you do that with the shoes in my closet?
  • @sarabridesoon if you send them to me I surely can! I am simply applying glitter to make them into show stopping statement shoes! Its going to be AWESOME!! 

My BM's shoes will be tiffany blue glitter though.
  • Sounds awesome.
  • I llove the idea of bridesmaids in black dresses.  It will look wonderful.  I personally would just have the girls pick a dress on their own around a given length (probably floor length for your theme) and ask them to not get anything too shiny.  That should make a wonderful look.

If you do want them to get the same dress, just make sure it is within each of their budgets (remember to ask them this beforehand in private).  Also, pearls would be lovely, but if you're requiring them you should pay for them! (And sorry but its not the gift!) 

P.S. I'm loving the up-cycled glitter show idea!!

• @cowgirl8238

I am making them necklaces and giving them to them along with their gift. Its not solely their gift. 
  • tiphenieB said:
    @cowgirl8238

I am making them necklaces and giving them to them along with their gift. Its not solely their gift. 
    Then you're good to go there!
  • Girl make sure you spray seal the shit out of those shoes or you're going to be leaving a trail of glitter everywhere you go! 
  • I didn't expect to be jazzed by this post. But, here I am, jazzed as hell. You are being so cool to your bridesmaids and going about this in such a rad way. I love it. You get many internet cookies!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I had my bridesmaids on black dresses. We got them from JC Penny's and they were short, peplum dresses (I actually bought one too because I liked them so much!) They all wore pearls and black shoes and looked beautiful. I think black dresses will fit in very well with your style.
  • I love your theme. All of it.
  • Pretty sure Audrey Hepburn would never in a million years have worn glittered blue shoes! If you want to stick to your theme, which sounds elegant and lovely, I'd go with a simple black kitten heels.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards