Wedding Reception Forum

Not so beachy wedding

Hi everyone,

I am getting married in March...beach ceremony. My colors are coral and gold with (some light green in my flowers) I don't want a "Beach wedding" with seashells and sand. But I feel I need to incorporate that into my wedding since it's on the beach and a destination wedding. (NY to FL)

Any ideas of what I can do?

Re: Not so beachy wedding

• edited October 2014
    Pretty inspiration links for you: 
    As you can see, I highly recommend a loungy/soft/pretty feel.  Sea shells and sand are cute but I find them to be redundant in a beach setting.  Nautical themed things like THIS might be cute, but only if that is your style (ignore the cake, it isn't cute).  Otherwise, you can never go wrong with beautiful flowers and lanterns and candles.

Also, beach wedding ceremonies that look like THIS make me gag a little, try to be creative :)  Just my 2 pennies.
  • Keturah9 said:

Hi everyone,

I am getting married in March...beach ceremony. My colors are coral and gold with (some light green in my flowers) I don't want a "Beach wedding" with seashells and sand. But I feel I need to incorporate that into my wedding since it's on the beach and a destination wedding. (NY to FL)

Any ideas of what I can do?

Girl, do whatever you think is best.  I'm like you, getting married at the beach, but no where in my decor is there sand, sand dollars, seashells , or anything of the sort.  I'm just letting the ocean and its simple beauty speak for itself and be the backdrop to my wedding. We have no "theme" we are doing ivory/blush/light pinks/ and gold as our colors.  Congrats!  And don't think you have to conform to a typical beach wedding.  You don't!
  • You don't have to use seashells and all the other trappings of a typical beach wedding. The pictures @bahamabride2015 linked are wonderful! Let your colors and table decor and the beauty of the beach and ocean itself create your atmosphere. You don't need tchotchkes. 

I will admit, though, that when I see weddings with couches and stuff on the beach, it always makes me think of that scene from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind when they're laying on their bed on the beach, haha. Clicky. Couches are not for beaches, IMO. 
  • Palm trees always look pretty, you can have medium to smaller potted palms lining the aisle and palm fronds incorporated it floral centerpieces.  Not sure where in FL you are getting married, but that is typically a "dryer" time of year.  The ocean breezes do make themselves known, so think about that for your veil and anything that might blow over.  
  • Just work with your colors instead of a beach theme.
  • I don't think you have to work with a beach theme in any way. I like the flowers and lanterns decorations Doey provided.
  • You never have to theme your wedding after your location. I got married at a golf course, but didn't consider a golf theme for a second. The fact that you're on the beach doesn't need to determine your decor.

• You never have to theme your wedding after your location. I got married at a golf course, but didn't consider a golf theme for a second. The fact that you're on the beach doesn't need to determine your decor.
    This.  My venue is oceanfront (no beach though) with our room overlooking the bay and I'll be damned if I see a single seashell in my decor.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Me too! Getting married oceanfront and using no shells, starfish or sand. Not kitschy. Just elegant decor in a beautiful ocean setting. :-)
    You obviously don't have to "theme" your wedding after the venue, but I absolutely think you need to consider the venue in your overall decorations. For a beach wedding I think you do need to keep things light and airy, like the pictures posted. It would look ridiculous if you went all phantom-of-the-opera style with red roses and candelabras for a beach wedding. Same as if you used mason jars and burlap in an extravagant ballroom. 
  • MandyMost said:
    You never have to theme your wedding after your location. I got married at a golf course, but didn't consider a golf theme for a second. The fact that you're on the beach doesn't need to determine your decor.
    You obviously don't have to "theme" your wedding after the venue, but I absolutely think you need to consider the venue in your overall decorations. For a beach wedding I think you do need to keep things light and airy, like the pictures posted. It would look ridiculous if you went all phantom-of-the-opera style with red roses and candelabras for a beach wedding. Same as if you used mason jars and burlap in an extravagant ballroom. 
    Well sure, cohesiveness is important in a lot of aspects. Like you wouldn't have bridesmaids in emerald green velvet for a northern hemisphere July wedding, or serve prime rib at a tiki bar. But she asked if she needed to incorporate seashells in a theme and the answer to that is definitively "no."

• MandyMost said:
    You never have to theme your wedding after your location. I got married at a golf course, but didn't consider a golf theme for a second. The fact that you're on the beach doesn't need to determine your decor.
    Well sure, cohesiveness is important in a lot of aspects. Like you wouldn't have bridesmaids in emerald green velvet for a northern hemisphere July wedding, or serve prime rib at a tiki bar. But she asked if she needed to incorporate seashells in a theme and the answer to that is definitively "no."
    I totally agree with you, and I also understood the question. However, I find that people on these boards are regularly asking if their theme/motif/decor/colors have to go with their venue, and the common answer is "NO! Not at all! They don't have to go at all!", and I couldn't disagree more. They DO have to go! So while I think the OP understands the responses just fine, there are a lot of lurkers on this board that I think sometimes it helps to clarify things like this. 
  • I agree, it doesn't have to "match" but you certainly don't want it to be the polar opposite and  risk it clashing.  If the venue has a strong theme to start (like a beach/beach view) I would say keep any added decor simple and light.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards