New Jersey

Stressing out! Hunt for North NJ venue

Evening, ladies!

I got engaged late August and underestimated the stress and hunt to secure down a wedding venue in north NJ. I started around a week ago (did not realize people start looking and booking up to 2 years in advance) and have become very discouraged. So far, the FI and I have looked at Martime Parc, Sheraton Mahwah, and Rockleigh Country Club. I fell in love with Rockleigh but unfortunately their earliest Friday was mid November and we were looking for a late Summer/early Fall wedding date (due to season, schedule..).

We have approx. 120 guests and would need to do an indoor ceremony and reception at one site. We originally wanted a Saturday but realized it may not be doable given the number of guests and budget so we are open to up to140/pp for a Friday night.

I am going to look at Biagio's Terrace in Paramus, Old Tappan Manor, Seasons Catering, and perhaps Il Villagio's in Carlstadt this week. 

Any thoughts on these places? I am so discouraged! Any recommendations would also be greatly appreciated :)

Re: Stressing out! Hunt for North NJ venue

• Check out Knoll Country Club in Boonton. Our wedding was there in May. It was amazing and under your budget for a Saturday. We also saw Old Tappan Manor (which ended up in our top 3) and Seasons. I really liked both - they are both very modern and have extensive cocktail hours which was one of my criteria. Seasons did not have a great date available and Old Tappan was a little too far which is why we ended up not booking them, but I think we would have been happy at both.
  • Look at Floretine Gardens...very beautiful grounds.  Also Park Avenue Club in Florham Park...I loved this place and the event coordinator is just as amazing.

We are getting married at Mayfair Farms and love everything thing about the place.

Good luck...and trust me I got very discouraged during this process...but once you find the place that fits your needs and you love it will all be pretty easy then.
  • sooyoung said:
    Evening, ladies!

I got engaged late August and underestimated the stress and hunt to secure down a wedding venue in north NJ. I started around a week ago (did not realize people start looking and booking up to 2 years in advance) and have become very discouraged. So far, the FI and I have looked at Martime Parc, Sheraton Mahwah, and Rockleigh Country Club. I fell in love with Rockleigh but unfortunately their earliest Friday was mid November and we were looking for a late Summer/early Fall wedding date (due to season, schedule..).

We have approx. 120 guests and would need to do an indoor ceremony and reception at one site. We originally wanted a Saturday but realized it may not be doable given the number of guests and budget so we are open to up to140/pp for a Friday night.

I am going to look at Biagio's Terrace in Paramus, Old Tappan Manor, Seasons Catering, and perhaps Il Villagio's in Carlstadt this week. 

Any thoughts on these places? I am so discouraged! Any recommendations would also be greatly appreciated :)

SITB

Is this before or after taxes and gratuity. My first mistake in planning was not considering the ++ on top of quoted price. This could increases costs by 25-30%.
  • thanks for the recommendations everyone. LittlePeachBlossom, I am hoping for $140/pp including tax and gratuity but i am feeling this is not doable for a Friday night in North Jersey :(
  • Trust me it is doable!  I had a budget of $110pp because we are inviting 275 on a Friday night...and we found a lot of places that hold your numbers and are in that price range.  It is just sitting down and doing the research (trust me I know the stress of all this).  I found that NJ Bride magazine was a great guide because it had a price range of venues in the back.  

• My coworker got The Manor for $99++ for a Friday night and the food/grounds were spectacular. The Atrium CC is also w/in that range but personally I don't like the room/food
  • My Saturday at Knoll was significantly less than $140pp all-in. It is possible!
  • Twenty minutes north of Season's is New York Country Club. We just had my daughter's wedding there last month. It was excellent. Food was delicious and plentiful. Beautiful views and grounds.
  • sooyoung said:
    thanks for the recommendations everyone. LittlePeachBlossom, I am hoping for $140/pp including tax and gratuity but i am feeling this is not doable for a Friday night in North Jersey :(
    It's certainly doable but you may have to sacrifice some things. If $140pp is total price, you should be looking at places that quote $100pp base price as most don't include tax and gratuity in their initial quote.

Be aware that Aug-Oct is still peak season. Have you tried Fiesta or Greycliff Manor? How about The Tides Estates? If you're open to crossing the NY state line, there some nice venues up in the Hudson Valley.
  • I booked at the IL Villaggio.  The place is beautiful and the staff is amazing.  The food is beyond fabulous. I don't think you will be disappointed!

Good luck with your search! :)

• I booked at Friday in October 2015 and the price was VERY reasonable. Speak with Patrick and he will work with you.  We are having approx. 120-130 people.
  • i just booked with the royal manor in garfield. very affordable and great reviews!
  •  You should check out the Basking Ridge Country Club in Basking Ridge/Bernardsville, NJ.  Recently renovated ballroom, with outdoor ceremony capabilities.  They have a tent, too, if you like the outdoor reception feel. 

Best part- significantly less than $140/pp- they quoted me $117/pp inclusive.  I didn't book there, but loved it. 

Good luck!
  • Check out Highlawn Pavilion! They should be within your budget for a Friday night and can do indoor or outdoor ceremonies. We paid $109/pp for a Sunday afternoon, which included open bar, chilled seafood station at cocktail hour, and filet mignon as one of the entrees. They were very accommodating and flexible.
  • I highly recommend The Tides Estate. You will definitely be within your budget for either a friday, saturday or sunday. I became very discouraged as well and was settling for a sunday afternoon wedding. At the Tides, I'm able to have a Saturday afternoon wedding and without completely breaking the bank. Mine is also considered an "off season" being that it's in April.

Good luck!!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards