Wedding Party
Options

Gift ideas?

Hey guys!
Need some ideas for gifts for non-wedding party volunteers.

They're helping with setup and such- and I want to do something special for them. They're doing things like helping trim and put flowers in vases, put out tablecloths, signs etc. Same stuff I've done for them in the past.

I'm giving them a casual luncheon and some photos with the photographer on the day of- would that be enough? 
Perhaps a print from the wedding too? 

Any/all ideas welcome! :) 

Re: Gift ideas?

• Options
    A photo of your wedding day isn't really a "gift."  It falls in the category of wedding favors that are almost as bad as koozies--mini framed photos of the couple.

Think gift cards, alcohol.  If they had to get up really early, how about Starbucks gift cards?  If they like to do wine/cocktailing, a bottle of something nice--St. Germain, etc.  Those are good places to start.  Anything that says "wedding" on it or has your monogram, etc. is a no.

Regardless of what you revise the plan and give them, include a thoughtful thank you note.  In the age of texts and emails, handwritten notes go a long way.
  • Options
    cambryncambryn member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    A photo of your wedding day isn't really a "gift."  It falls in the category of wedding favors that are almost as bad as koozies--mini framed photos of the couple.

A professional framed photo print of the guest isn't a gift? Hmm...

To put this in context- They're doing the same thing for me I have done for them- I tend to help people with events in my group for free- like catering for a person's wedding for free- it was just me and her friends pitching in and making it happen- though I was the one in charge of it and doing all the baking. I'm basically the event planner of the group. They volunteered because they are friends, but also because I have done this for each of them for free- no gift card or anything in return.

At one wedding I was given a choice of any 2 framed prints from the wedding (and I got some awesome photos of myself and my fiance and best friend) and she threw a party for us at another time with sangria. I personally really loved that gift.

I don't know how much money I can allot for gift cards or alcohol at this point but I can try. This would be on top of a framed print from the wedding and luncheon ($300 or so.) There are 15 of them- so to get them each a gift card worth anything would be about $400 or more- plus prints and lunch- That's $700, making it $500 more than if I paid a rental company to set it all up.

I think I will make some custom gift bags too with lots of treats and things for each of them that they like that fits in with their allergen diets and craft interests, and perhaps a custom sketch for each of them (I'm an artist.) 
  • Options
    cambryn said:

To put this in context- They're doing the same thing for me I have done for them- I tend to help people with events in my group for free- like catering for a person's wedding for free- it was just me and her friends pitching in and making it happen- though I was the one in charge of it and doing all the baking. I'm basically the event planner of the group. They volunteered because they are friends, but also because I have done this for each of them for free- no gift card or anything in return.

At one wedding I was given a choice of any 2 framed prints from the wedding (and I got some awesome photos of myself and my fiance and best friend) and she threw a party for us at another time with sangria. I personally really loved that gift.

I don't know how much money I can allot for gift cards or alcohol at this point but I can try. This would be on top of a framed print from the wedding and luncheon ($300 or so.) There are 15 of them- so to get them each a gift card worth anything would be about $400 or more- plus prints and lunch- That's $700, making it $500 more than if I paid a rental company to set it all up.

I think I will make some custom gift bags, and perhaps a custom sketch for each of them (I'm an artist.) 
    Yeahhhhhh, I've been to formal company parties where I had my professional picture taken.   Do you know how many of those I still have?   Zero.  I'm personally not a fan of the idea, either. 

I like Lia's idea of the gift card to a restaurant.
  • Options
    Yeahhhhhh, I've been to formal company parties where I had my professional picture taken.   Do you know how many of those I still have?   Zero.  I'm personally not a fan of the idea, either. 

I like that idea too- but I can't afford it for 15 people without it being a dinky giftcard. 
  • Options
    cambryn said:

I like that idea too- but I can't afford it for 15 people without it being a dinky giftcard. 
    So, I'm not sure what you're asking us here.  You seem to already have your gifts picked out ... are you looking for us to validate it?
  • Options
    So, I'm not sure what you're asking us here.  You seem to already have your gifts picked out ... are you looking for us to validate it?
    No no- I'm looking for something besides what I've picked out- now that I have verified I'm not able to afford something that is $25 a person, perhaps there will be other ideas. :) It doesn't do much good for the same thing to be suggested a fair few times and for me to not say 'well, that's not in my budget' - then I won't get to hear any other ideas.

Perhaps I should have put this in the DIY section instead. I tend to make a lot of gift baskets with home baked goods- perhaps something like that? 
  • Options
    cambryn said:
    No no- I'm looking for something besides what I've picked out- now that I have verified I'm not able to afford something that is $25 a person, perhaps there will be other ideas. :) It doesn't do much good for the same thing to be suggested a fair few times and for me to not say 'well, that's not in my budget' - then I won't get to hear any other ideas.

Perhaps I should have put this in the DIY section instead. I tend to make a lot of gift baskets with home baked goods- perhaps something like that? 
    So are you already planning on the luncheon and pics with the photog?  Personally, I'd scrap that and get them something.
  • Options
    Scrap the pics with the photographer. Get them a bottle of wine (or whatever they like to drink) and some chocolates if you can't afford much. 
  • Options
    cambryncambryn member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    Well I think I figured out a possible plan! Let me know what you think!
    So a week before my wedding my friends are going on our yearly renaissance festival trip (I can't make it because, well, wedding is a week later, and I get sick every time we trip.)

It's camping and drinking into the wee hours, then dressing up as pirates and going into the festival to revel- So I was thinking I could get them each a pirate flask- then for them to share: a ginourmous tankard of rum, and yummy 'hangover foods'- like my homemade pumkin bread and such. 

Then of course I'd host a luncheon for them.

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    I would scrap the time with the photographer and simplify the lunch while they are setting up. We did pictures at our venue and they put out salads, stuff to make sandwiches, and beer for 20, and it cost about $200. It wasn't fancy, but since fancy wedding dinner was to follow, I don't think anyone minded.

You said you have $25 to spend per person? Get everyone a bottle of their favorite booze and be done with it. The flask idea is nice, but it sounds complicated and you are close to your wedding and feeling stressed (you mentioned in another thread). Since you are short on time and long on stress I would do the easiest thing, which is a trip to the liquor store.
  • Options
    jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2014
    cambryn said:
    Well I think I figured out a possible plan! Let me know what you think!
    So a week before my wedding my friends are going on our yearly renaissance festival trip (I can't make it because, well, wedding is a week later, and I get sick every time we trip.)

It's camping and drinking into the wee hours, then dressing up as pirates and going into the festival to revel- So I was thinking I could get them each a pirate flask- then for them to share: a ginourmous tankard of rum, and yummy 'hangover foods'- like my homemade pumkin bread and such. 

Then of course I'd host a luncheon for them.

What do you guys think?

I'll take the upopular road and say that personally, I think this sounds sweet, personal and unique to your friends, and thoughtful. If I were your close friend, I'd be happy to help set up for your wedding and wouldn't expect a gift in return for what will probably be one or two hours of hanging out with friends, and putting out pretty centerpieces. (I'm assuming you're not asking them to like, move giant tables and set up 400 chairs, right?)

There's a difference between demanding/goading/cajoling your friends into helping you set up for your wedding (this has happened to me and it sucked), and your friends volunteering, on their own, as a group, because they want to help out and because you've helped out with their events (I have done this for friends, and was happy to). In the first case, I'd be bitter even if you gave me a tankard of rum. In the latter case, I'd expect nothing in return (except maybe some snacks while we're setting up) and be super pumped by a tankard of rum and some pumpkin bread.

• Options
    I'm still not a fan of the luncheon.  Sorry.
  • Options
    jenijoyk said:

I'll take the upopular road and say that personally, I think this sounds sweet, personal and unique to your friends, and thoughtful. If I were your close friend, I'd be happy to help set up for your wedding and wouldn't expect a gift in return for what will probably be one or two hours of hanging out with friends, and putting out pretty centerpieces. (I'm assuming you're not asking them to like, move giant tables and set up 400 chairs, right?)

There's a difference between demanding/goading/cajoling your friends into helping you set up for your wedding (this has happened to me and it sucked), and your friends volunteering, on their own, as a group, because they want to help out and because you've helped out with their events (I have done this for friends, and was happy to). In the first case, I'd be bitter even if you gave me a tankard of rum. In the latter case, I'd expect nothing in return (except maybe some snacks while we're setting up) and be super pumped by a tankard of rum and some pumpkin bread.

Thanks! :) Yeah, I am getting together a basket of all their fave foods for fair, and a large tankard of rum and perhaps a bottle of meade too. This keeps it from getting too expensive, but also is something they will really get to enjoy. Pirate fest is all about debauchery, so it'll make for some fun for them. I'm still considering what my 'lasting' gifts to them are. I was thinking compasses for each of them or skull charms for each that they can tie into their costumes. 
  • Options
    cambryn said:

I think I will make some custom gift bags too with lots of treats and things for each of them that they like that fits in with their allergen diets and craft interests, and perhaps a custom sketch for each of them (I'm an artist.) 

To the bolded:  That. Is weird.  A very odd gift for someone. I don't really keep portraits of myself, I might do a bourdoir shoot of myself for FI for a wedding gift, but keep that for myself? Nope.  Sorry I just can't get over how strange of a gift that would be if I was receiving that.  Gift cards are always a good option, and also, alcohol.
  • Options
    cambryn said:

To the bolded:  That. Is weird.  A very odd gift for someone. I don't really keep portraits of myself, I might do a bourdoir shoot of myself for FI for a wedding gift, but keep that for myself? Nope.  Sorry I just can't get over how strange of a gift that would be if I was receiving that.  Gift cards are always a good option, and also, alcohol.
    Agreed.  I have framed photos of myself, but they're of me on vacation, not standing in a park with a friend in a wedding dress.  I don't need a framed photo of me and FH dressed up in a ballroom.  I know what we look like even though we rarely get dressed up.
  • Options
    I always want more framed pictures of myself and more booze!
  • Options
    Yeah, I personally like printed photos as gifts, as there are so few of those around anymore. It's all digital. But, feh, I'll see if, in addition to other stuff, they are interested. If not, no loss, if so, yay extra gift.
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    I'm going to be one of the odd ones out.  It sounds like your circle of friends is like mine, you just help out.  I've helped set up with my sister's weddings and my cousins and have never expected or needed anything. They also helped out at mine. At my cousins wedding, I was also the guest book attendant at the beginning (the horror!  But no, I didn't mind at all.  It was only about 15-20 minutes as people walked in) as well as helping set up some drink glasses prior.  I didn't get a gift, and I didn't care.  It was just half an hour to 45 minutes out of my day to help out my cousin who was getting married.  Would a gift had been nice?  Sure, gifts are always nice, but I certainly didn't need or expect one or need some sort of reciprocity for my time.

ETA: I would a less expensive token gift of some sort.  Nice chocolates? A local treat?

I think time with the photographer is a good idea, but only if they can have others with them.  I would love to have an updated professional shot of me and my H or me and a couple friends.  Just me alone?  Eh, no thanks, I don't really need a shot like that except for business purposes, and a wedding shot probably wouldn't work for that.

Also, I think giving them a framed professional print is going to cost more than you might think. Depending on your photog, you may not even have printing rights and getting prints would be expensive because you'd have to go direct through them.  Even if you do have printing rights, you still have to pay for it plus shipping plus the frame.
  • Options
    I'm going to be one of the odd ones out.  It sounds like your circle of friends is like mine, you just help out.  I've helped set up with my sister's weddings and my cousins and have never expected or needed anything. They also helped out at mine. At my cousins wedding, I was also the guest book attendant at the beginning (the horror!  But no, I didn't mind at all.  It was only about 15-20 minutes as people walked in) as well as helping set up some drink glasses prior.  I didn't get a gift, and I didn't care.  It was just half an hour to 45 minutes out of my day to help out my cousin who was getting married.  Would a gift had been nice?  Sure, gifts are always nice, but I certainly didn't need or expect one or need some sort of reciprocity for my time.

ETA: I would a less expensive token gift of some sort.  Nice chocolates? A local treat?

I think time with the photographer is a good idea, but only if they can have others with them.  I would love to have an updated professional shot of me and my H or me and a couple friends.  Just me alone?  Eh, no thanks, I don't really need a shot like that except for business purposes, and a wedding shot probably wouldn't work for that.

Also, I think giving them a framed professional print is going to cost more than you might think. Depending on your photog, you may not even have printing rights and getting prints would be expensive because you'd have to go direct through them.  Even if you do have printing rights, you still have to pay for it plus shipping plus the frame.
    Thanks! Yeah, I think you get the vibe of my friends. I just had a wedding craft day with about 5 ladies, and we had a blast where we gabbed and painted signs and things. Lots of snacks and good toons- fun afternoon! :)

And jeeze- no not formal portraits of individuals- no Yearbook shots! ;) I more meant they looks through the photos from wedding- I'll make extra sure the photographer gets shots of them- and if they like one, they get a print! I've loved having real photos of me and my best friends and my fiance given to me- as I'm terrible about ever having a 'real flesh and blood photo' off of my computer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards