Chit Chat

I just spent over $150 on candy for the wedding...

Oops.

At least my mom is reimbursing me!

What was your most frivolous wedding expense?

Re: I just spent over $150 on candy for the wedding...

• we spent even more on our candy buffet.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm over 8 months out, and I feel like I keep collecting little things that "I might be able to use."

I need to knock it off!

I bought 8 different table runners to choose between.  I haven't even confirmed the size of the tables yet!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited October 2014
    I spent $80 on confetti.

I'll repeat that... $80 on confetti.

It is really pretty, sparkly, and on heavy card stock...but man, that made me feel stupid. I at least got a 10% discount. I know not a single soul will care about the confetti, but oh well haha. 

edit: typing is hard

• lyndausvi said:
    we spent even more on our candy buffet.  
    I bow down before you.

• I spent like $200 on 75 STD envelopes and cute wedding stickers to put on them. Yes I know I do not need envelopes for the STDs cuz I could just do the postcard thing. But my mom has always been a huge card sender and always writes with fancy pens in calligraphy (she took calligraphy classes and everything, score for my wedding invites!!!) and makes it really special, and I always feel special getting one of her cards in the mail. So whenever I send something, I have to dress it up and make it special too. I went to three different stores yesterday looking for the right color pen to write the addresses. I might be insane. 

I'm still a little over 6 months out from my wedding, so I'm sure I'll be blowing more money on stupid nonsense before then. 
  • We spent about $225 on candy for favor bags for our wedding. We had about 150 guests and had tons of local candy (Lemonheads, Tootsie Rolls, Fannie Mae chocolates, etc.). I shopped carefully though...

But I wasted a ridiculous amount on favor bags. Which turned out to be pointless- they all got a bit smooshed!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We spent about $500 on our candy bar. It was epic. Just over 100 guests and there was very little left.

Only the good candy too, none of this 'let's get whatever, as long as it matched our colours".
  • I bought $125 for 90 fabric napkins 5 months ago and decided yesterday that they weren't the right pink. So I'm ordering new ones this weekend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We spent about $500 on our candy bar. It was epic. Just over 100 guests and there was very little left. Only the good candy too, none of this 'let's get whatever, as long as it matched our colours".
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! Shows how much I know about the cost of candy bars! I don't think I'll ever top that.

• I spent close to that on a shit-ton of candy the week after Halloween - that stuff has an expiration date of about a year out in most case. I had a top notch candy buffet at a rock bottom price! Snickers, three musketeers, twix, m&m's - everything except reeses cup...they don't last.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• lyndausvi said:
    we spent even more on our candy buffet.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I spent close to that on a shit-ton of candy the week after Halloween - that stuff has an expiration date of about a year out in most case. I had a top notch candy buffet at a rock bottom price! Snickers, three musketeers, twix, m&m's - everything except reeses cup...they don't last.
    They go bad or you eat them all?

• We spent about $500 on our candy bar. It was epic. Just over 100 guests and there was very little left. Only the good candy too, none of this 'let's get whatever, as long as it matched our colours".
    We spent between $550-$600 for 147 guests.   There was little left.  Our guests LOVED the candy bar. One  84 year old guest still talks about how much fun it was.

We made a point of having candies for each generation.  It was fun to see 60 and 70 year olds get excited about candy from their childhood.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I spent about $100 on custom M&M's (after 1/2 off Groupon) for my favor bags.  I then put them in a box with spearmint chewing gum (also for the bags) to ship to my wedding destination.  Somehow, we got there and all the M&M's were mint flavored.  The only thing I can think of was maybe condensation or something in the box?  It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but very odd and unexpected. My guests thought I just bought mint M&M's and seemed to like them.

• I spent about $100 on custom M&M's (after 1/2 off Groupon) for my favor bags.  I then put them in a box with spearmint chewing gum (also for the bags) to ship to my wedding destination.  Somehow, we got there and all the M&M's were mint flavored.  The only thing I can think of was maybe condensation or something in the box?  It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but very odd and unexpected. My guests thought I just bought mint M&M's and seemed to like them.

Mint just invades everything, especially chocolate, like nobody's business!

• Wow, that's a lot! I kinda of want to go nuts like that but with leftover Halloween candy. And not share. *shifty eyes*

Im pretty early in the wedding planning but so far I bought a $60 cake topper that I'm not even going to use. I'm going to repurpose it as a decoration for the sweetheart table. I'm annoyed the etsy seller attached it with popsicle sticks so now I have to try to find a way to unattach them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• luckya23 said:
    I spent about $100 on custom M&M's (after 1/2 off Groupon) for my favor bags.  I then put them in a box with spearmint chewing gum (also for the bags) to ship to my wedding destination.  Somehow, we got there and all the M&M's were mint flavored.  The only thing I can think of was maybe condensation or something in the box?  It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but very odd and unexpected. My guests thought I just bought mint M&M's and seemed to like them.

Mint just invades everything, especially chocolate, like nobody's business!

A few years ago, I bought a pack of orbit and a pack of oreos around lunch time. I went to eat the oreos in the afternoon, and found them to be minty as FUCK. Mint invades everything. Literally. Plant mint in your yard. You'll have a mint lawn.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• edited October 2014
    That's ok I just spent $107.00 "with shipping" for 6 bags personalized Hershey Kisses for our wedding favors. I felt guilty spending that much on candy but they are personalized and half priced. I also wanted to make sure we had enough for several for each guest.
  • You should have waited for the after haloween sales silly!

The wedding is November 8th, and I'm too much of a planner to cut it that close!

Most clearance candy comes in themed wrappers though right?

I was just wondering the other day if any kids would notice the easter-themed wrappers if I got rid of my stash on Halloween! lol

• luckya23 said:

You should have waited for the after haloween sales silly!

I was just wondering the other day if any kids would notice the easter-themed wrappers if I got rid of my stash on Halloween! lol

You have leftover Easter candy? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?

• steph861 said:

First of all, HOW HAVE YOU NOT EATEN THAT CANDY YET.

And I don't see themed wrappers much around these parts. Just regular kit kats and junk.
  • steph861 said:

First of all, HOW HAVE YOU NOT EATEN THAT CANDY YET.

And I don't see themed wrappers much around these parts. Just regular kit kats and junk.

Yup, you're probably right - I just checked the bag of Butterfingers I still have from last halloween ;-)

I'm still working on my Xmas candy too! And the easter bag was a BIG BAG. lol

• If you have leftover candy from Easter and STILL haven't eaten it all yet, I applaud your self control.

That shit was gone after a week at my house. Halloween will be the same. My accountability partner on here is going to kill me :(

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:
    If you have leftover candy from Easter and STILL haven't eaten it all yet, I applaud your self control. That shit was gone after a week at my house. Halloween will be the same. My accountability partner on here is going to kill me :(
    Part of the reason we had the venue get the candy was we were living in the island and it would have been too much of a hassle.  But if you met my husband you would quickly find out that no candy is safe in our home.   So having the venue get the candy had a side benefit as I doubt they would have made it to the wedding had DH been in charge.

DH buys extra candy for work events to a make up for him eating it before the event.  It pretty sad actually.

• My teeth hurt just reading this thread...and I'm terribly jealous that I've never actually been to a wedding with a candy bar to experience the cavity making goodness for reals.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • lyndausvi said:

hellohkb said:
    If you have leftover candy from Easter and STILL haven't eaten it all yet, I applaud your self control. That shit was gone after a week at my house. Halloween will be the same. My accountability partner on here is going to kill me :(
    Part of the reason we had the venue get the candy was we were living in the island and it would have been too much of a hassle.  But if you met my husband you would quickly find out that no candy is safe in our home.   So having the venue get the candy had a side benefit as I doubt they would have made it to the wedding had DH been in charge.

DH buys extra candy for work events to a make up for him eating it before the event.  It pretty sad actually.
    I'm bringing the candy to my parents' house tonight. I'm debating hiding it from them until the wedding. I didn't carry several pounds of candy home on the bus yesterday just to have to buy replacements!

• My teeth hurt just reading this thread...and I'm terribly jealous that I've never actually been to a wedding with a candy bar to experience the cavity making goodness for reals.
    I've been to one.  But honestly they did the whole "colors" deal, so none of the candy was really worth eating.  These candy bars sound epic and I'm sad I haven't experienced one either.  

• luckya23 said:

I speak from experience when I say, "no most of it is not in Halloween themed wrappers." you just have to pay attention when you buy that you select the regular wrapped ones. We've been sticking up on after Halloween candy for years for a variety of a reasons.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards