Chit Chat

Which do you prefer Miss, Mrs. or Ms.

huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited October 2014 in Chit Chat
I'm curious what others think about their title. Do you or did you prefer Miss or Ms if you are single, or Ms or Mrs. if you are married? Wouldn't' it be easier if we were like men and only had one title.

Which do you prefer Miss, Mrs. or Ms. 107 votes

I always prefer Ms. whether I'm single or married.
28% 30 votes
I couldn't wait to be a Mrs.
8% 9 votes
I preferred Miss when I was single and I (will) prefer Mrs. when I'm married.
19% 21 votes
I preferred Ms when I was single and I (will) prefer Mrs. when I'm married.
21% 23 votes
I don't care
8% 9 votes
I love turtles
8% 9 votes
other
5% 6 votes
I'm a Mr.
0% 0 votes

Re: Which do you prefer Miss, Mrs. or Ms.

• I honestly do not care. 

I rarely get called by a title, those who do are normally like medical staff or something similar.    I do not really care what they call me. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I find that most places don't have a way to know that I'm married. So like when I call the cable company or the credit card company they always look up my account and call me Miss NewLastName. Yea, I'm a Mrs. and I love being a Mrs. but I don't bother to correct them.

• I think the only time anyone's going to call me Mrs. Beethery _____ is at the end of the wedding ceremony and then when we walk into the reception.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I suppose I will get a thrill out of Mrs. when I'm first married...

Why did you leave "ma-am" out of it??? Now that I haaaaate bc dammit I am not THAT old!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Meh. I could care less.

Everyone has been calling me Mrs. FI since the wedding, but I doubt it will last.
  • I use Ms. now and will use both Ms and Mrs. Though I feel weird using Mrs because I think of the whole "Mr's" argument I hear a lot of people make.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• RajahBMFD said:
    Dr. That's the only acceptable answer for me. Honestly, one of the reasons I like my medical degree so much is that it means I get to use a title that is not related to my gender OR my marital status. Hypothetically, I would prefer Ms. over anything else if I weren't a doctor. I find it incredibly sexist that a woman is defined by her marital status.
    DH calls me Mrs. MarriedName which makes me all gooey inside. If I have to use a title I use Ms but I can't wait until I finish my degree and can use Dr instead.

Anniversary
  • I always thought Miss was only appropriate for young women under 18, is that not true?
  • I didn't take DH's name, but I honestly don't care what title use when they address me. I mean, DH and I have been together so long that people have assumed I was Mrs. DH for ages already, and I have none fucks to give about correcting them.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I always thought Miss was only appropriate for young women under 18, is that not true?
    Miss can be used for any unmarried woman regardless of age.

• I give zero shits. Though Miss makes me feel like I'm 12.
    Miss can be used for any unmarried woman regardless of age.
    This!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Learn something new every day!
  • I really don't care.
  • I preferred miss, when I was single. I kept my maiden name so I prefer ms now.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I like Ms, as it's the standard professionally in my area - married women don't go by Mrs at the office and Miss is for children now here. Everyone at my company uses Ms and I will continue to do so too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'll take Mrs or Ms.  Miss, while I understand can be used for any age, seems to be better suited to those under 18.
  • I put prefer Ms., but I guess I shouldn't have because I really don't care.  

Before a couple months ago after seeing it on TK, I didn't even know that Ms. was a thing.  I honestly have always thought that Ms. was a shortening of Miss, the way Mr. is a shortening of Mister and Mrs. is a shortening of Mistress.
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    With my students, I really go by anything - Miss, Ms. Mrs, WinstonsGirl (last name only).  I did go by Ms. when I was single, since I felt Miss made me sound young.  After getting married, I go by Mrs. even though I didn't change my name cos I felt it gave me a slight edge of respect from parents.  Not that they were disrespectful before, but it was like I was more acceptable now cos I was "one of them" - old and married.  I guess they figure I'm old enough to understand now that I'm married, which is such a stupid thing. 

ETA - And I love turtles!!!  I finally got to see one snorkelling after our wedding.  Made my day 

• With my students, I really go by anything - Miss, Ms. Mrs, WinstonsGirl (last name only).  I did go by Ms. when I was single, since I felt Miss made me sound young.  After getting married, I go by Mrs. even though I didn't change my name cos I felt it gave me a slight edge of respect from parents.  Not that they were disrespectful before, but it was like I was more acceptable now cos I was "one of them" - old and married.  I guess they figure I'm old enough to understand now that I'm married, which is such a stupid thing. 

ETA - And I love turtles!!!  I finally got to see one snorkelling after our wedding.  Made my day 
    Interesting, I guess that makes sense. Both my sister's are teachers (one married, one not) and they said their students call them Miss, Ms, or Mrs. whichever comes out of their mouths I guess.

My married sister actually worked at a school her first year teaching where the kids called all the teachers by their first names.

• I prefer Miss now, and I will prefer Ms. when I'm married.
  • I'm going to add to my answer. I don't really care if people call me miss, ms. Or mrs because I tend to put a stop to that pretty quickly. I don't like being referred to by my last name. It makes me feel old.
  • Doctor doctor...

Actually most people just use my first name but if you're gonna call me by my last name.... I did work pretty damn hard for that degree.

FI swaps between Mrs and Ms. Professionally she likes Ms but enjoys writing out Mrs. If I wasn't Dr I'd go by Ms. Miss always made me feel too young and I just don't love Mrs for myself
  • I don't really care. The K-8 kids at my evening religious ed program somehow ended up calling me Miss FlanFirstName, which actually has now happened in multiple places with multiple groups of kids, and so I don't see that changing until I'm obviously old enough that they assume I'm a Mrs. like their moms. That's pretty much the only place a title gets used.
  • I don't like any of the options. If I have to choose I'll take Ms., but I don't like that, either, really. I prefer that people call me by my first name. I teach at a university where it is common to refer to your prof/instructor by their first name. Some of my students struggle with it, and I don't get on their case if the call me Frau Bot or anything, but I really just do prefer my own name.
  • My high school students in New Orleans called me "Ms. O" which shortened my last name. Children of friends were told by their moms to call me "Miss Shannon." These days at the jail, I get called anything from "Sister" to "Reverend" (I'm neither) or Chaplain. I answer to almost anything but "Hey, you."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards