Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Post your ceremony script!

Looking for ideas and inspiration. If anyone has their ceremony scrips, I'd love to read them! 

Re: Post your ceremony script!

• I'll bite! Mostly because I love reading people's scripts and maybe people will post if they aren't the first one! (If you like anything, feel free to swipe... I took bits and pieces from everywhere.)

Opening<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Welcome to this beautiful place and this beautiful moment in the lives of R and J.  You have been invited here today because each of you has touched this couple’s life in a special way.  They hold you, their family and friends, as a valued part of who they are as individuals, who they have become together, and who they will grow to be as a married couple and family.  Your presence is a gift and they appreciate you sharing this very special day with them.

Today is not just about what is to come, but also about what has already occurred.  R and J met almost exactly 11 years ago on October 20, 2003, on J's first day of work at XX.  They remember the moment they met, when R greeted her in the office lobby and she stood to shake his hand.  In the following years they became friends, they grew to be each other’s office crushes, they stared and smiled at each other in work meetings and hoped no one would notice, they came up with excuses to visit each other’s cubicles multiple times a day even though they worked in different buildings.  More than once they became lost in conversation when out with friends, and failed to notice when hours had flown by, their friends had all gone home, and they were the last two there.  They dated and convinced themselves their coworkers had no idea.  They moved to San Francisco, separately, and pretended their decisions to do so had nothing to do with each other.  They broke up, they grew up, and they got back together.  They are best friends.  They wouldn’t change a thing about their journey here today, the day they become husband and wife.  

J, do you come here today to marry R and choose him as your partner and husband? I do.

R, do you come here today to marry J and choose her as your partner and wife? I do.

In Perry v. Brown, the Ninth Circuit Court of  Appeals wrote, “Marriage is the name that society gives to the relationship that matters most between two adults… The word marriage is singular in connoting a harmony in living, a bilateral loyalty, and a coming together for better or for worse, hopefully enduring, and intimate to the degree of being sacred… It is the designation of marriage itself that expresses validation, by the state and the community, and that serves as a symbol… of something profoundly important.”

Civil marriage has been described by another court as “a deeply personal commitment to another human being and a highly public celebration of the ideals of mutuality, companionship, intimacy, fidelity, and family… Because it fulfills yearnings for security, safe haven, and connection that express our common humanity, civil marriage is an esteemed institution, and the decision whether and whom to marry is among life’s momentous acts of self-definition.” 

Vows

R and J, this moment is the axis between your past and your future.  There are no commitments sweeter or as tender, and no vows more solemn, than those you are about to make.  Are you ready to take your wedding vows? We are.

I ask of you both, do you promise to choose each other every day, to love and be faithful to one another in word and deed? We do.

Do you promise to recognize one another as equals, and support one another in your goals and wishes for the future? We do.

Do you promise to always share your thoughts, and feelings, and concerns with one another, and be open and honest at all times? We do.

Do you promise to comfort, protect, and defend each other for the rest of your lives? We do.

Do you promise that come hell or high water, recession or ruin, misfortune or sickness, that you are in this together, no matter what? We do.

A and G, do you promise to support your daughter J in her marriage to R, and do you promise to take R as a member of your family? We do.

B and D, do you promise to support your son R in his marriage to J, and do you promise to take J as a member of your family? We do.

Beer Box Ceremony

Before today’s ceremony, R and J each wrote a letter to the other, to be opened and read five years from today, on their fifth wedding anniversary.  To ensure their letters’ safe keeping, they have decided to lock them away, along with something so precious they are sure to not misplace it – a first release bottle of The Bruery’s vintage 2011 Chocolate Rain.  And yes, that is a kind of beer. R and J, would you please step up to the table and place your bottle and love letters in the box, and lock it, not to be opened until October 18, 2019.  [R puts the bottle in the box. R and J each place their letters in the box. J locks the box.  R and J come back to their places in front of S.]

When you open the box you will have five years of memories as a married couple behind you.  You will marvel at how far you’ve come since today.  You will read your letters to each other and remember what this moment, right now, felt like, the moment you took your vows and became husband and wife.

Rings

The giving and receiving of rings is the most important part of a marriage ceremony, because the rings are made in the symbol of that which is eternal.  There is no beginning and no end, and as you place these symbols on one another’s finger, it signifies that there shall be no end to your marriage or the happiness that you will share together.  Your rings tell the world that you belong to someone special and that someone special belongs to you.  Every day for the rest of your lives, these rings will remind you of the wonder that the person standing in front of you loves you as much as you love them.  Wear your rings with love and with honor.

C, will you please give your brother R, J's wedding ring?

R, if you would take J's ring and place it on her ring finger and repeat after me.

I, R, take you, J, to be my wife,
    to have and to hold, from this day forward,
    for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health.
    I give you this ring as a reminder that I will love you every day of your life.

B, will you please give your sister J, R's wedding ring?

J, if you would take R's ring and place it on his ring finger and repeat after me.

I, J, take you, R, to be my husband,

Closing

R and J, in the presence of your family and friends, you have spoken the words and performed the rites which unite your lives. 

At 5:30pm (S looks at watch) on this 18th day of October 2014 and by the authority given to me by the State of California, I pronounce you husband and wife!!

You may kiss!

It is my pleasure to introduce to you for the very first time as husband and wife, Mr. and Mrs.....

• edited October 2014
    jenijoyk!  I've stolen the 'I do's and the description of the rings.  And since you've been so helpful, I'll leave my sister's wedding ceremony for others to use as they need.  I'm still working on my own and may share that as well when it's done.

Officiant: Please be seated.WelcomeOfficiant: Welcome, family, friends and loved ones. We gather here today to celebrate the wedding of K and A. You have come here to share in this formal commitment they make to one another, to offer your love and support to this union, and to allow K and A to start their married life together surrounded by the people dearest and most important to them.
    So welcome to one and all, who have traveled far to be here. K and A thank you for your presence here today, and now ask for your blessing, encouragement, and lifelong support, for their decision to be married.  We also pause for a moment to feel the love coming to us from around the globe from friends and family who could not travel here on this day.
    To the Parents: Who K and A have become as persons is determined by many factors, but none more significant than their relationship with those who loved them into life, nurtured them, and taught them by their words and example. Although we outgrow the homes of our childhood, we never outgrow the love and support of our parents and families. In many ways you have taught them how to love.For this they are forever grateful.
    Parents, will you please stand? Will you D, B, B, and M, encourage K and A in their marriage? Parents: We WillOfficiant: Do you celebrate with them the decision they have made to choose each other, and will you continue to stand beside them with each passing year?Parents: We willOfficiant: Thank you. You can please be seated.Definition of MarriageOfficiant: Marriage is perhaps the greatest and most challenging adventure of human relationships. No ceremony can create your marriage; only you can do that – through love and patience; through dedication and perseverance; through talking and listening, helping and supporting and believing in each other; through tenderness and laughter; through learning to forgive, learning to appreciate your differences, and by learning to make the important things matter, and to let go of the rest. What this ceremony can do is to witness and affirm the choice you make to stand together as lifemates and partners.
    Declaration of IntentOfficiant: Will you, K, take this woman to be your wedded wife?
    Groom: I will
    Officiant: Will you, A, take this man to be your wedded husband?
    Bride: I will
    Love Story - Written and Told by Officiant (bride’s sister)

Readings Officiant: A and K would now like to invite K’s sister, B, to read Love by Roy Croft.
    Officiant: And now, A and K invite K’s sister, L, to read The Art of a Good Marriage by Wilferd Arlan Peterson
    Support of CommunityOfficiant:  Two people in love do not live in isolation. Their love is a source of strength with which they may nourish not only each other but also the world around them. And in turn, we, their community of friends and family, have a responsibility to this couple. By our steadfast care, respect, and love, we can support their marriage and the new family they are creating today.
    Will everyone please rise.
    Officiant: Will you who are present here today, surround K and A in love, offering them the joys of your friendship, and supporting them in their marriage?  If so, answer We Will.
    All: We will
    Officiant: You may be seated.
    Officiant: Parents, as we near the end of the ceremony, I ask you now to please pass the rings to one another, hold them for a moment, warm them with your love, and make a silent wish for this couple, and their future together.
    I’ve heard that wedding ceremonies can be a bit of a blur to the bride and groom.  I’d like to ask you, K and A, to please take a moment to look at your friends and family who are with you today.  With the months of preparation that went into planning this beautiful day, please take some time to pause, take a deep breath, and make a memory that is not created from a photograph you see later.
    I’d now like to read Union by Robert FulghumWedding VowsOfficiant: We've come to the point of your ceremony where you're going to say your vows to one another. But before you do that, I ask you to remember that love – which is rooted in faith, trust, and acceptance - will be the foundation of an abiding and deepening relationship. No other ties are more tender, no other vows more sacred than those you now assume. If you are able to keep the vows you take here today, not because of any religious or civic law, but out of a desire to love and be loved by another person fully, without limitation, then your life will have joy and the home you establish will be a place in which you both will find the direction of your growth, your freedom, and your responsibility.
    Bride and GroomI, A, take you, K, to be my husband, I, K, take you, A, to be my wife, my constant friend and partner, and my love.
    I will work to create a bond of honesty, respect, and trust; one that withstands the tides of time and change, and grows along with us.
    I vow to honor and respect you for all that you are and will become, taking pride in who we are, both separately and together.
    I promise to challenge you, and to accept challenges from you.
    I will join with you and our community and try to create and maintain a world we all want to live in.
    Our home will be a sanctuary and a respite for us and for those whom we cherish.
    Together: Above all, I will give you my love freely and unconditionally.
    Together: I pledge this to you from the bottom of my heart, for all the days of our lives.

Officiant: May I have the rings?  Please place these rings on each others’ fingers and repeat after me: I give you this ring, as a daily reminder of my love for you.

Officiant: Pelo poder e compromisso do seu amor e pelo poder em mim investido, eu os declaro companheiros por toda a vida.By the power of your love and commitment, and the power vested in me, I now pronounce you partners in life! You may kiss each other!

eta... sorry TK f'd up the paragraphs, but I don't have the patience to fix them.
  • I love these thanks ladies!
  • This is going to look really long, but it was really only about a 20 minute ceremony.

Invocation

Beloved Creator, Essence of Love, and Source of Hope, Open our hearts and fill us with Your Presence.  You graciously give to us the longing for love and the capability of loving, and we give you thanks for Lolo and FI, for their beautiful hearts and willing spirits, and for the example of love that they embody here today. Elevate us to an awareness of the Sacred and the Eternal, as we celebrate this miraculous moment in their lives. Be with them on this joyous occasion of showing their love and making their vows; and be with us, their witnesses, that we might all be inspired by the blessings shared today. Amen.

Welcoming 

Good afternoon. We gather here today to witness and celebrate an act of deep love. Lolo and FI, in their devotion, respect, and love for each other wish to unite in the holy bond of marriage, and to dedicate themselves to each other's happiness and well being as life mates and partners.  On behalf of them, I welcome you all.

Although this is their day, it is also a tribute to all of you. For knowing you and interacting with you has helped to make our Bride and Groom who they needed to be to find each other. They would like to thank you all for that. All of you are the threads of which are woven the tapestry of their lives. Each one of you is an important piece in the story it tells. It is the fabric that they wrap around themselves and take comfort in when the world seems cold. And on days like today when everything is right in their world, that tapestry is proudly spread out and displayed for everyone to see, with all the glorious colors and textures that your diversity adds. You all hold a place in their hearts reserved for those that they have chosen to call 'Family' and “Friends” and they are deeply grateful for each and every one of you here today

Foundation 

Marriage is a gift from God, a miracle. It is obvious that you already know some of the great blessings marriage has to offer.  It is an opportunity to feel the joy of taking care of someone who takes care of you, to be challenged towards growth yet gently nurtured, to love deeply and receive it in return.  It is about trust, friendship and having a partner to share all life has to offer. It is a commitment to participate in a process of mutual evolution, understanding and forgiveness. It is indeed a sacred union to be treated with reverence. 

Marriage is not a place to hide from the world.  It is a safe place to grow and become wiser.  It is a place to evolve into better people; so that you can go out in the world and make a difference by spreading the joy and wisdom that you have found with each other. Together in this marriage, you shall contribute more fully, for you both shall be more full.

Lolo, FI is a gift to you from God, but he is not a gift for you alone.  It is God’s will that in your love, this man might find within himself a greater sense of who he is meant to be.  You are asked to see the good in this man, to accept him for who he is and who he shall be.  In this way, God’s purpose shall be accomplished in this relationship.  May this man find the kingdom of heaven through the love you share.

And so it is with you also FI, that although Lolo is God’s gift to you, she is not a gift intended for you alone. You are asked by God to so love this woman, that in your love she might find herself as God has created her, so beautiful and strong and brave and true, that the entire world might be blessed by the presence of a woman who shines so. May she relax in your arms as she has never relaxed before.  May she know, from now on, that there is one on whose love she can depend on forever.

May you both create, with God, a piece of heaven on earth.

The Hands Ceremony <clicky>

The Questions

Who gives this woman to be the bride of this man? (The parents stand up,  respond "We do" and then are seated)

Lolo and FI, If you are ready to step into the holy circle of matrimony, assuming all its rights, obligations and abundant joys, please so indicate by joining hands.

Do you, Lolo take this man, FI as your husband, to love him and to honor him, to nurture, serve and support him, in times of joy and in times of difficulty? Do you promise to remain by his side regardless of what trouble befalls you, and in the presence of temptation to forsake this love, do you promise to remain steadfast and true? Do you promise with all your heart and soul to honor this vow till death do you part? If so, answer now, "I do."(Bride answers, "I do")

Do you, FI take this woman, Lolo as your wife, to love her and to honor her, to nurture, serve and support her, in times of joy and in times of difficulty? Do you promise to remain by her side regardless of what trouble befalls you, and in the presence of temptation to forsake this love, do you promise to remain steadfast and true? Do you promise with all your heart and soul to honor this vow till death do you part? If so answer now, "I do."(Groom answers, "I do")

Reading - To Love is Not to Possess, by James Kavanaugh <clicky>

Ring Ceremony   

And so we come Lolo and FI, to the presentation of rings by which you symbolize and bind your love.

The circle has long been a symbol of spirit and the power of God. The sky and the earth are round. The wind in its greatest power whirls. The sun and moon, both round, come forth and go down again in a circle. Even the seasons form a great circle in their changing and always come back again to where they were.  Without beginning or end and with no point of weakness, the circle is a reminder of the eternal quality of God and of unending strength. Let the seamless circle of these rings become the symbol of your endless love and unending faithfulness.  Your wedding rings are most special because they say that even in your uniqueness you have chosen to be bonded, to allow the presence of another human being to enhance who you are.  Your rings carry a potent double message: We are individuals and yet we belong; we are not alone.  As you wear them through time, they will reflect not only who you are but also the glorious union that you are now creating. 

God, bless these rings and the two who exchange them. Fill them with your Holy Presence.  Keep them safe in the circle of Your protection and love.

Lolo, place the ring on FI’s finger and repeat after me:  “With this ring, I pledge my love and faithfulness to you, today, tomorrow and always."

FI, place the ring on Lolo's finger and repeat after me: “With this ring, I pledge my love and faithfulness to you, today, tomorrow and always." 

Wear these rings as the enclosing bond of reverence and trust. Fulfill the circle of love that now makes you one.

Vows -Traditional Vows

Please join hands, look into each other’s eyes, and repeat after me:

I, FI, take thee, Lolo, for my lawful wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health as long as we both shall live.

I, Lolo, take thee, FI, for my lawful wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health as long as we both shall live.

Minister’s Blessing 

Lolo and FI, you now have the opportunity for expressing through your union and partnership, God’s glory, love and healing. How could this be? Through devotion and service to each other. Through patience, kindness, total acceptance of each other, tempered by the willingness to change. You will be tempted, as time goes by, to take for granted the love which today seems so precious and dear, to speak to and treat each other in ways that do not reflect the highest good in both of you. Resist it.  Promise to always see the goodness in your partner, even when it’s especially difficult. God will provide you the way, if you are willing. He is the key to your success as a married couple. Call on Him devotedly and consistently to guide your thinking and bless your home. May this marriage be to you a heavenly sanctuary. God bless you. 

Pronouncement

Lolo and FI, in the presence of God, your family and friends today, you have spoken the words and performed the rites which unite your lives.  It is my legal right as a minister and my greatest joy and privilege to declare you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride. 

It is my honor to present to you for the first time as husband and wife, Mr and Mrs FI Lastname!

• Thanks, Lolo.  I've stolen your 'welcome' (about the tapestry).  No idea what iteration it will assume once I combine it with the welcome I already had in there.  But it seems like a good replacement for the "support of community" thing that my sister had but is just not "me."
  • adk19 said:
    Thanks, Lolo.  I've stolen your 'welcome' (about the tapestry).  No idea what iteration it will assume once I combine it with the welcome I already had in there.  But it seems like a good replacement for the "support of community" thing that my sister had but is just not "me."
    Steal away! :) I loved that part.

• @lolo883 - FI and I have been looking at the hands ceremony as well. I've seen a couple different versions and that one seems the shortest. I like it!
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hmmm....since we have nothing planned, I may have to steal bits and pieces of these to make the ceremony longer than 5 minutes.  LOL.   
  • Hmmm....since we have nothing planned, I may have to steal bits and pieces of these to make the ceremony longer than 5 minutes.  LOL.   
    That's how I'm doing mine.  You should see my rough draft.  It lists four different couples' names at different points, blank lines in another, is in eight different fonts from cutting and pasting, and there's a whole section that I did strikethrough script on because I'm not sure if I like it or am going to remove it.
  • hutchslhutchsl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2014

Ours was about 20 minutes. We are not religious but borrowed wedding traditions from other cultures.

Civil Wedding Ceremony

(Bride family member  lights candle and Mother of Groom Lights candle as escorted forward or just before unity candle TB – music Spring or Canon in D<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Bridesmaid enter – (Music Spring or Canon in D

Bride Processional – Music Wedding March)

We are gathered here today to celebrate one of life's greatest moments, to give recognition to the worth and beauty of love, and to add our best wishes to the words which shall unite _S brides name_ and _L Grooms name_ in marriage.

(The relative may give the bride away. the groom takes the bride's hand or relative places brides hand in grooms hand before stepping back.)

Introduction

S__ and _L_ , life is given to each of us as individuals, and yet we must learn to live together. Love is given to us by our family and our friends. We learn to love by being loved. When we love, we see things other people do not see. We see beneath the surface, to the qualities which make our beloved special and unique. To see with loving eyes, is to know inner beauty . And to be loved is to be seen, and known, as we are known to no other person. One who loves us, gives us a unique gift: a piece of ourselves, but a piece that only they could give us. Learning to love and living together is one of the greatest challenges of life - and is the shared goal of a married life.

VOWS

(Groom’s Part in Wedding Vow)

Officiant part: Do you L__ take S___ to be your lawfully wedded wife. Do you vow to love and care for her in the good times and the challenging ones, for as long as you both shall live. Forsaking all others will you love only her with all the passion and caring you have to offer. Do you take her completely as she is and offer yourself to her as you are? Will you be there for her whenever she needs you And will you celebrate life with her daily?

Groom’s part:  I do. S___ you are my soul mate and my best friend. I look forward to spending my life with you..

(Bride’s Part in Wedding Vow)

Officiant part: Do you S___ take L___ to be your lawfully wedded husband.

Do you vow to love and care for him in the good times and the challenging ones, for as long as you both shall live. Forsaking all others will you love only him with all the passion and caring you have to offer. Do you take him completely as he is and offer yourself to him as you are? Will you be there for him whenever he needs you And will you celebrate lfe with her daily?

Bride’s part:  I do. L___ you are my soul mate and my best friend. I look forward to spending my life you.

Ring Ceremony VOWS

(Ringbearer – dog to come forward with rings)

Traditionally, the passage to status of husband and wife is marked by the exchange of rings. These rings are a symbol of the unbroken circle of love. Love freely given has no beginning and no end, no giver and no receiver, for each is the giver and each is the receiver. May these rings always remind you of the vows you have taken today.

L___, will you please place the ring on the third finger of S__ left hand and will you repeat after me: (pause)

S___, I give you this ring () as a symbol of my love. () As it encircles your finger, ()may it remind you always() that you are surrounded by () my enduring love.

S____, will you please place the ring on the third finger of L___ left hand and will you repeat after me:

L__, I give you this ring as a symbol of my love. As it encircles your finger, may it remind you always that you are surrounded by my enduring love.

_S_____ and _L___ as the two of you come into this marriage uniting you as husband and wife, and as you this day affirm your love for one another, I would ask that you always remember to cherish each other as special and unique individuals, that you respect the thoughts, ideas and suggestions of one another. Be able to forgive, do not hold grudges, and live each day that you may share it together - as from this day forward you shall be each other's home, comfort and refuge, your marriage strengthened by your love and respect for each other.

Just as two threads woven in opposite directions will form a most beautiful tapestry, so too can your two lives merged together make a beautiful marriage. To make your relationship work will take love. This is the core of your marriage and why you are here today. It will take trust , to know in your hearts that you truly want the best for each other. It will take dedication, to stay open to one another - and to learn and grow together. It will take faith, to go forward together without knowing exactly what the future brings. And it will take commitment, to hold true to the journey you both pledge today to share together.

UNITY CANDLE CEREMONY (families light candles now if not lit at beginning – Optional depending on weather)

The outer candles represent the light of your separate lives before today. It is appropriate that the sister of the Bride and the mother of the Groom each lit these candles as it is from your respective families that the light of your life first shown forth.

_S_ and _L_, the two separate candles symbolize your separate lives, separate families and separate sets of friends. Please take one of the candles and  together light the center candle.

Lighting the center candle represents that your two lives are now joined to one light, and represents the joining together of your two families and sets of friends to one.

ROSE CEREMONY  (each take a rose from the vase)

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />   "Your gift to each other for your wedding today has been your wedding rings - which shall always be an outward demonstration of your vows of love and respect; and a public showing of your commitment to each other. You now have what remains the most honorable title which may exist between a man and a woman - the title of "husband" and "wife." For your first gift as husband and wife, that gift will be a single rose. In the past, the rose was considered a symbol of love and a single rose always meant only one thing - it meant the words "I love you." So it is appropriate that for your first gift - as husband and wife - that gift would be a single rose. Please exchange your first gift as husband and wife. (). In some ways it seems like you have not done anything at all. Just a moment ago you were holding one small rose - and now you are holding one small rose. In some ways, a marriage ceremony is like this. In some ways, tomorrow is going to seem no different than yesterday. But in fact today, just now, you both have given and received one of the most valuable and precious gifts of life - one I hope you always remember - the gift of true and abiding love within the devotion of marriage.  _S_ and _L_, wherever you make your home in the future - whether it be a large and elegant home - or a small and graceful one - that you both pick one very special location for roses; so that on each anniversary of this truly wonderful occasion you both may take a rose to that spot both as a recommitment to your marriage - and a recommitment that THIS will be a marriage based upon love.  In every marriage there are times where it is difficult to find the right words.  It is easiest to hurt who we most love. It is easiest to be most hurt by who we most love.  It might be difficult some time to words to say "I am sorry" or "I forgive you"; "I need you" or "I am hurting". If this should happen, if you simply cannot find these words, leave a rose at that spot which both of you have selected - for that rose then says what matters most of all and should overpower all other things and all other words.  That rose says the words: "I love you still."  The other should accept this rose for the words which cannot be found, and remember the love and hope that you both share today.  _Susan_ and _Loren_, if there is anything you remember of this marriage ceremony, it is that it was love that brought you here today, it is only love which can make it a glorious union, and it is by love which your marriage shall endure." 

Jewish  Traditional Breaking of the Bottle...

"The breaking of the glass at the end of a wedding ceremony serves to remind of two very important aspects of a marriage.
    The bride and groom - and everyone - should consider these marriage vows as an IRREVOCABLE ACT - just as permanent and final as the breaking of this glass is unchangeable.
    But the breaking of the glass also is a warning of the FRAILTY of a marriage. Knowing that this marriage is permanent, the bride and groom should strive to show each other the love and respect befitting their spouse and love of their life."

(“The bottle” is usually a light bulb wrapped in a white towel.Best man to place on ground in front of groom))

(the groom then smashes the bottle with his foot)

S___ and L___ please join hands …

_S_  and _L_, in so much as the two of you have agreed to live together in Matrimony, have promised your love for each other by these vows, the joining of your hands and the giving of these rings, I now declare you to be Husband and Wife.
    Congratulations, you may kiss your bride.

(The groom kisses the bride )

It is my privilege to present to you Mr. & Mrs.  L___ J__

(Recessional – music TBD)

Officiant says final words for guest about reception.

• pends123pends123 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2014

I am so grateful for this post. Between the scripts here and different 'articles' on The Knot website I was able to make the perfect ceremony script for our wedding in March! Definitely makes it seem more real!

------------------

Welcome family, friends, and loved ones to this beautiful moment in the lives of P and T. You have been invited here today because each of you has touched this couple’s life in a special way. They hold you, their family and friends, as a valued part of who they are as individuals, who they have become together, and who they will grow to be as a married couple and family. Your presence is a gift and they appreciate you sharing this very special day with them.

To the parents, MOB, MOG, and FOG: P and T feel profound gratitude for all the love and care you showed in raising them. The unconditional gifts of love and support that you have unstintingly given have inspired them to become who they are today, and they thank you, from the bottom of their hearts, for guiding them to this celebration of love. Without you, this day would not be possible.

There is a great quote on love from a Louis de Bernieres' book called Captain Corelli's Mandolin. It reads "Love is a temporary madness; it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of eternal passion. That is just being in love, which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Those who truly love have roots that grow toward each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two."

Marriage is perhaps the greatest and most challenging adventure of human relationships. No ceremony can create your marriage; only you can do that – through love and patience; through dedication and perseverance; through talking and listening, helping and supporting and believing in each other; through tenderness and laughter; through learning to forgive, learning to appreciate your differences, and by learning to make the important things matter, and to let go of the rest. What this ceremony can do is to witness and affirm the choice you make to stand together as life-mates and partners.

P and T, this moment is the axis between your past and your future. There are no commitments sweeter or as tender, and no vows more solemn, than those you are about to make.

Are you ready to take your wedding vows? We are.

I ask of you both, do you promise to choose each other every day, to love and be faithful to one another in word and deed? We do.

Do you promise to recognize one another as equals, and support one another in your goals and wishes for the future? We do.

Do you promise to always share your thoughts, and feelings, and concerns with one another, and be open and honest at all times? We do.

Do you promise to comfort, protect, and defend each other for the rest of your lives? We do.

Do you promise that come hell or high water, recession or ruin, misfortune or sickness, you are in this together, no matter what? We do.

The giving and receiving of rings is the most important part of a marriage ceremony, because the rings are made in the symbol of that which is eternal. There is no beginning and no end, and as you place these symbols on one another’s finger, it signifies that there shall be no end to your marriage or the happiness that you will share together. Your rings tell the world that you belong to someone special and that someone special belongs to you. Every day for the rest of your lives, these rings will remind you of the wonder that the person standing in front of you loves you as much as you love them. Wear your rings with love and with honor.

T, if you would take P's ring and place it on her ring finger and repeat after me.

I, T, take you, P, to be my wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health. I give you this ring as a reminder that I will love you every day of your life.

P, if you would take T's ring and place it on his ring finger and repeat after me.

I, P, take you, T, to be my husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health. I give you this ring as a reminder that I will love you every day of your life.

P and T, in the presence of God, your family, and your friends, you have spoken the words and performed the rites which unite your lives. With great honor and by the the authority given to me by the State of Ohio, I pronounce you husband and wife!

(Kiss)

It is my pleasure to introduce to you for the very first time as husband and wife, Mr. and Mrs. T and P E!

Edit: Paragraphs

• There were tons of "stage directions" in ours, so hopefully I got those all edited out.

REMARKS BY CELEBRANT

We have come here today to celebrate D and M's love and commitment to each other as they are joined in marriage. It means so much to them to have so many of their family members and friends here. They are very excited to share this special moment in their lives with all of you, and hope today’s ceremony will show you just how much they love each other.

Our bride and groom met online, through eHarmony. D called, and after chatting awhile, asked M to go on a date with him the following weekend. She said yes, and to her happy surprise, D called every single day leading up to their date. By the time they met in person, they’d already had hours and hours of conversation.

M had been anxious about the date. The photos on D’s online profile made him look like a tough guy, yet his voice on the phone was so sweet. She couldn’t reconcile the two until she met him. Then it all made sense.

For their first date, they went to a very nice restaurant in Cambridge. Their second date was to the theater. D suggested this because of M’s involvement in the performing arts. M was delighted that D was so thoughtful.

After they had been dating a couple of months, they attended the wedding of one of D’s friends. Later, while viewing the photographs, they came across a candid of the two of them, a close-up of Dlooking at M. Something about that photo – perhaps it was the puppy dog eyes – helped M to realize that Dloved her and she loved him.

Around that same time, D went on a trip to Las Vegas with his family. He found that he just couldn’t have fun because he missed M so much! After that, he vowed never again to go on a trip without her.

M was the first person D felt he could be his complete self around. He says that their love grew stronger through each problem that they addressed and overcame. She made him feel so happy. And he thought that she was most certainly The One. 

About a year and a half into their relationship, M started to look to the future. Marriage hadn’t crossed her mind, and yet it occurred to her that D had all the qualities of a good husband. She saw how D was level headed where she was emotional. She saw how he brought calm to her life while she brought excitement to his. Going forward, she couldn’t imagine her life without him.

M admits to being a crazy person the day she and D got engaged. Four months earlier they had purchased a ring, and M had been waiting for D to propose. They had planned to go out to a nice restaurant for her birthday. D kept talking up the day, so M had a feeling this was going to be it. She told her friends that this was “the day” and that the ring would be her birthday present.

About an hour before they left for dinner, D asked if M wanted her gift. She was confused by such a matter-of-fact inquiry, but -- of course -- said yes. When D presented her with a large gift bag, M’s face fell. Inside was a purse. It was lovely -- but it wasn’t a ring! D resisted the temptation to tell M there was more to come.

M pretended that she had to go out to her car to get something. From there, she called her mother, who very sternly directed our bride to get her act together -- to go out to dinner and enjoy her birthday. M tried to put it behind her – she really did – but she couldn’t hide the sadness in her eyes. After they’d arrived at the restaurant and ordered their drinks, D knew he had to do something.

He looked across the table, took M’s hand and said, “You seem upset and I know why. I was going to do this later tonight, but instead I’m going to do it now.” Then he commenced with a beautiful speech. M said she didn’t even hear the first half of what he said because she was so embarrassed to have ruined his moment. But – she says -- what she did hear was amazing. 

M wept when D said that he would always try to be the best husband he could be, and some day, the best father he could be. And then he presented the ring.

The evening went much better from that point onward. They were both ecstatic. They had a wonderful celebratory meal, and then met friends for drinks at the Top of the Hub in the Prudential building. It ended up being an amazing night.

Before the reading, we would like an explanation about why three religions will be represented, so that the ceremony doesn’t seem random.  We chose to represent all three religions (M being Jewish and Catholic and D being Hindu) because we wanted to honor our cultures and heritage and start our blended marriage and family by blending our wedding ceremony. 

READING

Celebrant: I will now share a reading from First Corinthians.

“If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 

THE ASKING

Celebrant: 

M and D, from this day forward, May 18th will have special significance for you, as the day you publicly declared your commitment to each other. Would you please face one another and join hands? Take a moment to look into each other’s eyes. This is something you’ll want to remember.

Celebrant to Dayal: D, do you take M to be your lawful wife?  Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, and, forsaking all others, keep only unto her, so long as you both shall live?

D:I do.

Celebrant to M: M, do you take D to be your lawful husband?  Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, and, forsaking all others, keep only unto him, so long as you both shall live?

M: I do.

THE VOWS

Celebrant: D and M, you have known each other for more than four years now. Already you have shared so much. The vows that you are about to make create a blueprint for your marriage. These are the promises on which you will build the rest of your lives together.

D:I, D, take you, M, to be my wife, my friend, my love, and my lifelong companion, loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know. I eagerly anticipate the chance to grow together, getting to know the woman you will become, and falling in love a little more every day. I promise to share my life with you, to build our dreams together, to support you through times of trouble and to rejoice with you in times of happiness. I promise to treat you with respect, love, and loyalty through all the trials and triumphs of our lives together. This commitment is made in love, kept in faith, lived in hope, and made new everyday for the rest of our lives.  

M: I, M, take you, D, to be my husband, my friend, my love, and my lifelong companion, loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know. I eagerly anticipate the chance to grow together, getting to know the man you will become, and falling in love a little more every day. I promise to share my life with you, to build our dreams together, to support you through times of trouble and to rejoice with you in times of happiness. I promise to treat you with respect, love, and loyalty through all the trials and triumphs of our lives together. This commitment is made in love, kept in faith, lived in hope, and made new everyday for the rest of our lives.   

THE RING CEREMONY  

Celebrant: The ring, having no beginning and no end, has long been a symbol of love and commitment between two people. A wedding band serves as an outward sign of very personal promises and is a signal to the world that the wearer loves and is loved.

Celebrant: D, please take M’s left hand and repeat after me.

Celebrant/D: I give you this ring to wear as a symbol of my love, faithfulness, and commitment to learn and grow with you. Please accept it as a reminder of the promises we made today.

Celebrant: M, please take D’s left hand and repeat after me.

Celebrant/M: I give you this ring to wear as a symbol of my love, faithfulness, and commitment to learn and grow with you. Please accept it as a reminder of the promises we made today. 

THE MANGALSUTRA

Celebrant: M and D will now perform two Hindu wedding rituals. The first is known as the Mangalsutra, during which the groom presents a special necklace to the bride as a token of love, respect and goodwill. When the necklace is in place, around the bride’s neck, it symbolizes that the couple is married.

Celebrant: D will now present the mangalsutra to M.

Celebrant: No other necklace looks like the Mangalsutra.  Like the wedding band, it is a visual symbol of the couple’s enduring bond.

THE SEVEN STEPS

Celebrant: The second Hindu ritual is known as The Seven Steps, or Saptapadi.

Throughout our ceremony, this candle has been burning (gestures to candle). It represents the ceremonial fire that is present at all Hindu weddings. In a moment, M and D will take seven steps around it. With each step, I will offer a wish for them, as they begin their married life. Their steps serve as an acknowledgement of those wishes, and a joint promise to do all that they can to see those wishes fulfilled.

The Seven Steps each represent a different aspect of marriage and life. Following the Hindu tradition, our bride and groom will link their pinky fingers for the ceremonial steps around the fire.

Celebrant to couple: M and D, please step over to the candle, and link your little fingers.

Celebrant: D and M, may you always enjoy health and vitality, and may you live long and comfortable lives.

Celebrant: May you be resilient and strong -- in body, mind and spirit.

Celebrant: May you enjoy prosperity and abundance on all levels.

Celebrant: May you live in perfect harmony, offering constant love and support to each other.

Celebrant: May you have a joyful family life, raising children who are thoughtful and healthy.

Celebrant: May you remain true to your personal values and your joint promises.

Celebrant: May you always be the best of friends, and the best companions to one another. 

DECLARATION OF MARRIAGE

Celebrant: Looking to the future, M and D hope to spend the next few years building their relationship as well as their careers. They hope to grow closer with each other’s families and friends, to create a life of love and prosperity. And they hope, in due time, to create a happy, healthy family together.

D and M, you have declared your love for each other, made vows for a lifetime commitment, and exchanged rings as a symbol of the promises made here today.

May your love continue to deepen and grow. May your lives be filled with warmth and happiness, with ever-deepening bonds of friendship and family.

Many years from now, may you find -- that thanks to each other -- you have grown into the people you always wanted to be.

No matter where you go, may you find that if you are together, you are at home.

May you live happily ever after.

May all your wishes come true.

It has been an honor to perform your wedding ceremony. By the power vested in me by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts I now pronounce you husband and wife.

BREAKING OF THE GLASS/KISS

Celebrant: To conclude our ceremony, our couple has chosen to break a glass, in the Jewish tradition of wishing “good luck” to the newly married. Breaking a glass indicates that marriage is a transforming and irrevocable experience, one that leaves two people changed forever.

So as D, I invite you all to join me in wishing our couple good luck by shouting out… Mazel Tov or Congratulations!” 

Celebrant: Dayal, you may now kiss your bride.

PRESENTATION

Celebrant: I am delighted to present to you, for the first time as a married couple, Mr. & Mrs. Dayal Sachdev!

• We are having an outdoor ceremony. Even though we aren't getting married in a church, we are doing a mostly traditional, Christian ceremony. We have the freedom to design the entire ceremony from beginning to end which I love. We are not getting married until July so I'm sure I'll make some tweaks to this but here's the rough draft!

GREETING

Hello and welcome.

With love in their hearts and you,

their family and friends by their side, 

Jonathan and Anna welcome you on their wedding day!

They would like to thank each and every one of you for coming to be their witness to the beginning of a life-long journey 

of love and commitment. 

PRESENTATION OF THE BRIDE

Who gives the bride in marriage?

(Dad) HER MOTHER AND I DO.

CONVOCATION

Dearly Beloved,

We are gathered here in the sight of God, 

to join together this man, Jonathan, and this woman, Anna,

in holy matrimony.

INVOCATION

Let us Pray:

God, we ask for your blessings upon this couple as they unite in marriage.

Let all their days together be happy and all their words to each other be sweet.

And if times grow hard and tempers grow short, help them to look into their hearts and remember the love that brought them here today.

Bless their home and allow it to be a place of joy and peace.

Remind them to nurture each other with mutual love, honor and respect.  As they learn from one another, may they grow stronger as individuals and closer as a couple.

Bless their families and friends and the relationships which have supported, strengthened and sustained them throughout their lives.

Be with them on this joyous occasion as two become one, and be with us, their witnesses, as we rejoice in what is said and witnessed here.

Amen.

HAND RITUAL

Jonathan and Anna, take each other’s hands

So that you may see the gift that they are to you.

These are the hands of your best friend,

young and strong and full of love for you,

on this, your wedding day

as you promise to love each other

today, tomorrow, and forever.

These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as you build your future together.

These are the hands that will cherish you through the years,

that will tenderly hold your children.

These are the hands that will comfort you in illness and trials,

that will give you the strength to hold on during the storms and stresses of life.

These are the hands that will give you support and encouragement

And, lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours

May you always hold each other near, and share the joy and happiness of life together.

READING

The reading comes from 1st Corinthians 13:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails… And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks – all those sentences that began with “When we’re married” and continued with “I will and you will and we will”- those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe” – and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “you know all those things we’ve promised and hoped and dreamed? – well, I meant it all, every word.” Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another – acquaintance, friend, companion, and even teacher. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this is my husband, this is my wife.

- Robert Fulghum

ADDRESS

Jonathan and Anna

In all of life, rare is the moment that is filled with more hope, more joy, and more expectancy than this sacred moment.

Today, this day of your wedding,

Is the day you will shed your solitary journeys and become one.

The vows you are about to make will be locked in your memories 

as a reminder that you have pledged to love the one who stands willingly and expectantly beside you for a lifetime. For it is love that has brought you to this place,

and love is what will keep you whole.

Through the years, your memory of this moment will strengthen your marriage and cause you to give thanks for each other.

EXPRESSION OF INTENT

Anna, do you take Jonathan to be your lawfully wedded husband?

Will you love him, comfort him,

honor and keep him,

forsaking all others,

be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?

I DO.

Jonathan, do you take Anna to be your lawfully wedded wife?

Will you love her, comfort her,

honor and keep her,

forsaking all others,

be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?

I DO.

VOWS

I, Anna, take you, Jonathan, to be my wedded husband,

through sickness and in health, in good times and in bad,

and in joy as well as in sorrow.

In the presence of God, our family and friends,

I promise to be your faithful partner,

to respect, honor and cherish you,

all the days of my life.

I, Jonathan, take you, Anna, to be my wedded wife,

all the days of my life.

BLESSING OF RINGS

The ring is an endless circle,

the symbol of Infinity.

It has neither a beginning

nor an end - It is complete in itself.

These wedding rings are the

symbols of the unending love

and friendship that you,

Jonathan & Anna, share.

Let your lives come together

today and forever,

like the unbroken circles of these rings.

Lord,

Bless these rings that Jonathan & Anna

give to each other

as a sign of their love and fidelity.

EXCHANGE OF RINGS

Jonathan, I give you this ring as a sign of my love,

and with all that I am and all that I have, I honor you.

With this ring, I thee wed.

Anna, I give you this ring as a sign of my love,

and with all that I am and all that I have, I honor you.

With this ring, I thee wed.

PRONOUNCEMENTS

Jonathan & Anna,

because you have pledged your love

and commitment to each other

and having sealed that pledge

with the joining of hands, and with the exchange of rings,

by the power vested in me by the State

I pronounce you husband and wife

THE KISS

Jonathan, you may kiss the bride!

PRESENTATION

Friends and family,

I present to you,

Mr. & Mrs. Jonathan LASTNAME

• edited November 2014
    For those of you who haven't had your weddings yet, I encourage you to make your "repeat after me"s shorter.  You're going to be too nervous to remember more than 5 or so words at a time.    So, if the phrase you're supposed to say is too long, it's going to be broken up a whole hell of a lot by the officiant prodding you.  For example this, quoted from above...

all the days of my life.

This just seems super long.  Unless it's on a card in front of you to read it's going to be a lot of this (O = officiant, G = groom) 

O: and in joy as well as in sorrow, 

G: and in joy as well as in sorry, 

O: no, sorrow, 

G: oh, sorrow, 

O: in the presence of God, our family and friends, 

G: in the presence of God...

O: our family and friends, 

G: our family and friends, 

O: I promise to be your faithful partner, 

G: I promise to be your faithful partner, 

O: to respect, honor and cherish you, 

G: to respect, what was next? 

O: honor and cherish you, 

G: honor and cherish you

I mean, some people can do this.  But for myself, I'm opting for a lot of "We will" and "I will" and "I do".  Let the officiant whose eyes aren't glassy with happy tears do the reading and ask the questions, and I'll just tell you, "Yep, no problem, I'll totally love him forever. Thanks for asking."

• jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2014

adk19 said:
    For those of you who haven't had your weddings yet, I encourage you to make your "repeat after me"s shorter.  You're going to be too nervous to remember more than 5 or so words at a time.    So, if the phrase you're supposed to say is too long, it's going to be broken up a whole hell of a lot by the officiant prodding you.  For example this, quoted from above...

all the days of my life.

This just seems super long.  Unless it's on a card in front of you to read it's going to be a lot of this (O = officiant, G = groom) 

O: and in joy as well as in sorrow, 

G: and in joy as well as in sorry, 

O: no, sorrow, 

G: oh, sorrow, 

O: in the presence of God, our family and friends, 

G: in the presence of God...

O: our family and friends, 

G: our family and friends, 

O: I promise to be your faithful partner, 

G: I promise to be your faithful partner, 

O: to respect, honor and cherish you, 

G: to respect, what was next? 

O: honor and cherish you, 

G: honor and cherish you

I mean, some people can do this.  But for myself, I'm opting for a lot of "We will" and "I will" and "I do".  Let the officiant whose eyes aren't glassy with happy tears do the reading and ask the questions, and I'll just tell you, "Yep, no problem, I'll totally love him forever. Thanks for asking."

I totally agree, especially if you are afraid of crying! Our vows were all "we dos", which was great because we could say it together. But our ring exchange had a really short repeat after me bit. It was only a few lines...

I, J, take you, R, to be my husband,

... but that was the only time we both totally lost it! I had to stop in the middle a take a huge breath to calm myself and get through it. (We were able to remember each line though, no problem. So it was broken up into four pieces and that was fine.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards