DIY Wedding Forum

Bullet Shell Boutonniere

Hey, just looking for some feedback. This is my first attempt. I took a bullet shell and wrapped part of it in twine and added flowers. Voila! Does it need anything else? I was planning on having another bud/small flower but I really don't think there is room. Let me know what you think! Thanks :)

Re: Bullet Shell Boutonniere

• It needs some short white puffy flowers to soften it. I'd use real babys breath instead of the green thing.
  • Thanks. I was actually toying with that idea myself! :) I'll have to pick some up and see what it looks like. It just looks kind of blah. He's a very plain man though and I had a hard enough time trying to convince him to pin a flower on his chest :P

• Do you really need to use a bullet shell?
  • emster86emster86 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I thought it was a cute idea so yes! I'll attach some inspiration photos.
    imageimageThe one above is a shotgun shell.. maybe I'd have more room if I used one of those? There's not much space when using the shell I have to add flowers/feathers.

• Fiance is a hunter and we live in rural PA. That should pretty much sum it up. 

• Okay, that makes sense. I see bullets and think drive by and murder, not outdoor sports. 
    Different neighborhoods!  ;)
  • haha I'd say SO! jeeze!

• Maybe not so much twine?  Or is it possible to use a bigger flower? Or even tie two shells together so you can fit more in it, kind of like this:
    Unique Boutonniere - Shotgun Shell and Bullet Boutonniere - Rose and Dendrobium Orchid - Wedding Flowers - Avenue Blooms | Fort Collins, CO
  • I love the idea. My husband would have loved this. Guns are a big hobby for him. I do think though, that the flower should be bigger and should be the focal point. I like that first picture in emster86's inspiration post.
  • edited June 2015
  • I like the bullet shells better than the shotgun shells, which are just huge, unruly things that need a LOT of plant to even them out.

But this is what I think of.

Anti war protest at the Pentagon, 1967. Still a stunning photograph.

Is the shotgun shell the giant ugly blue thing? That's just fugly.
  • TBH, I hate the twine. I think if you're gonna use a bullet, you need to fully own it and let the whole thing show.

To save room, don't use the actual stem. Use floral wire (poked through the end of the flower, folded over and twisted) wrapped with floral tape to make a new, thinner, more posable stem.

• TBH, I hate the twine. I think if you're gonna use a bullet, you need to fully own it and let the whole thing show. To save room, don't use the actual stem. Use floral wire (poked through the end of the flower, folded over and twisted) wrapped with floral tape to make a new, thinner, more posable stem.
    Agreed.  The twine is not attractive and what's the point of using a bullet if you're just going to cover it in twine.  It could be anything then.  I'm not a big fan of the bullet thing to begin with, but that first inspiration picture is actually quite lovely.  I think it needs a bigger flower and more realistic greenery if you're going with fake because the felt reads more elementary school bulletin board than wedding boutonniere (I couldn't tell from the post if you're planning with fake, or just using fake as you test it out and using real flowers on the actual day). 
  • I agree less twine and less fake looking florals. The baby's breath sounds like a good idea.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Wow thanks guys, sorry I stepped away for a few days. 

@doeydo That might be a good idea to group a couple of them. I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the shotgun shell yet, I might have to be talked into that one, but they do offer more room to work with.

@lolo883 I'm not too fond of the twine, I was just testing it out. I had bought a self adhesive pin for the back of the bout, and the self-adhesive wasn't staying on. The twine helped, but I'm not sure if it looks good or not, so thanks for the opinion!

@jacques27 and @Molly&Domenic Thanks, I think the flower needs to be bigger too. I really love the first inspiration picture I posted as well :) I am toying with the idea of fake flowers just so I can put everything together beforehand, not sure if these will be the ones I use though. 

I really appreciate all of the input. I'll have to see what happens. If I give it another go I'll post the update. :)

• TBH, I hate the twine. I think if you're gonna use a bullet, you need to fully own it and let the whole thing show. To save room, don't use the actual stem. Use floral wire (poked through the end of the flower, folded over and twisted) wrapped with floral tape to make a new, thinner, more posable stem.
    Wanted to say this. I think it's pretty neat, but I'm not anti gun.

Just please stay away from camo.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh gosh.. absolutely NO camo allowed. This is the one "manly" thing he gets LOL

• MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    emster86 said:
    Oh gosh.. absolutely NO camo allowed. This is the one "manly" thing he gets LOL
    I was totally on board until this. It's his wedding too, right? Not that I disagree with saying no to camo. I just don't think it's ok to say he can't have anything else that you deem to be "manly" at his wedding. 
  • I didn't mean how that came out @Molly&Domenic... He and I actually have very similar tastes. He's 100% in the planning/decorating process. He would not WANT camo at our wedding. If he did we would find a compromise. He's getting a "black bear" grooms cake, because that's what he wants. He's also getting red velvet cupcakes. He's also given me a song list. We discuss every detail. So far there really haven't been any disagreements. He just didn't want to wear a flower on his chest, so I thought this up as a possible solution, just so it's not so "girly" for him. Hopefully that helps ease your mind?

• emster86 said:
    I didn't mean how that came out @Molly&Domenic... He and I actually have very similar tastes. He's 100% in the planning/decorating process. He would not WANT camo at our wedding. If he did we would find a compromise. He's getting a "black bear" grooms cake, because that's what he wants. He's also getting red velvet cupcakes. He's also given me a song list. We discuss every detail. So far there really haven't been any disagreements. He just didn't want to wear a flower on his chest, so I thought this up as a possible solution, just so it's not so "girly" for him. Hopefully that helps ease your mind?
    Yes, it sounds much better. For a second, I thought you were one of the "it's my wedding, he's just invited" brides. Glad that's not the case. :)
  • We did this for my wedding this past saturday.  We used .308 casings and real calla lilies.  All I did was hot glue the pin to the back and hand them to the florist.  He was totally fine putting the flowers in.  Here's a picture of it. 
  • Awww @chasingsunlight that turned out very cute! Thanks for sharing and congratz Mrs!!

• I think if we do boutonnieres, I'll make a shell casing one for my dad. He'd be all over it. Gonna save this thread for later!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• :) Glad to give you an idea... that I stole... from the internet :P

• I know another hunter that would totally be behind this idea :)

I agree, less twine, more florals!
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • less twine, embrace the shell for what it is. more flowers. i love this idea wish my fi was on board for this. but we are aiming for a modern wedding to go with my modern ring.
  • I think this is a pretty fucking cool idea.
  • Standing ovation for the bride who thinks "out of the box".  
  • Once I get a chance to re-do this I'll have to post a picture again :) Thanks guys!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards