Chit Chat
Options

Help me prepare my Sunday School lesson, please!

I'm teaching Sunday School tomorrow, and the topic is "Who is God?" I want to give the students (high school and jr high) a sampling of answers. So how do you answer the question "Who is God?"

Re: Help me prepare my Sunday School lesson, please!

• Options
    My version of God is not what is taught in sunday schools.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Can you elaborate, @larrygaga‌ ?

Let me also provide more insight regarding this group of students. They are brand new to Christianity. They are in the "inquiry" stage. I was hoping to get a variety of views to help them see that believing in God is not easy, and it's okay to doubt.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yikes this is a hard one. Maybe give them a lesson like about creation and the story of the birth of Jesus. Movies like the Passion should be helpful it's hard because there are so many different branches of Christianity to pinpoint a very clear explanation. Such as some not taking the literal it took 7 days to create the world but some believe it literally took that much time then you get into the science explanations and different views and before you know it everything is a hot mess. So I would start with the basics that all Christians believe without going into the "nitty gritty", so focus on what God means to them and the world with connection to heaven. Actually as silly as this may sound some children's cartoons such as Veggie Tales give very simple explanations. 
  • Options
    pretty sure you do not want my kind of help.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    My answer would definitely not be allowed in a Catholic church.

• Options
    JaxInBlueJaxInBlue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    Have you ever read/seen the My Little Golden Book About God?  I like that as a starting point.  It's less of a concrete answer about who God is or isn't and more about how you might see God - in nature, in family members, in the love between people.  I used to use the book with my Sunday school kindergarteners.

I know you are working with older students but I think the message holds - God can be in what you see, feel and appreciate about the world around you.  You could contrast this idea with some of the qualities God has and is given in the Bible - all knowing, powerful, just, righteous, perfect, immutable, etc.  There are links to the Bible quotations here.

ETA: Posted before I was finished.  I also think with older students who might be more aware of pop culture, you might be able to talk about how God is portrayed in movies, TV, music, etc.  Or you could ask them to describe God to you - they could write, draw, or do a collage of who they understand God to be in their lives, ie: He is a source of strength, He is a motivation to live a better life, He is a place of peace and calm, He is central to their family, etc.  Then you could move into how your faith describes God and His qualities, and how your faith builds a relationship with God from this understanding.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks, @larrygaga ... That is a great point! @lolo883 , @lyndasuvi - I'm actually curious. As I said, I'm just trying to compile perspectives from all different points of view.
  • Options
    jdluvr06jdluvr06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    I'm pagan so I'm pretty sure my perspective wouldn't be helpful. However, might I suggest checking out some of the numerous forums that are geared toward religious discussions. They are full of different insights and perspectives of god. Eta: I hope you don't take my post as snarky. I use various religious forums and message boards for work all the time and they really can be helpful.
  • Options
    @rajahmd, funny you say that. I also posed is question on my Facebook, and one of my friends (who doesn't ascribe to a particular faith) said that God to her is Alanis Morissette.
  • Options
    rajahmd said:
    Just show them Dogma. That always answered all of my questions. Such an insightful interpretation of the Bible.
    Everything I know about Catholicism, I learned from Dogma. 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    rajahmd said:
    Just show them Dogma. That always answered all of my questions. Such an insightful interpretation of the Bible.
    Everything I know about Catholicism, I learned from Dogma. 

That movie came our when I was in college. The Catholic Student Group went to go see it together, and we all got good laughs out of it.
  • Options
    I asked FI for help with this since he use to teach Sunday school and hasa masters in theology. His response was "holy crap that's a tough question". Now he is happily trying to find the perfect answer tailored to your class! Ill let you know when he has something,
  • Options
    Hahaha, thanks @afox007. This is definitely going to be an interesting session. I have no idea how I'm going to be able to do this in an hour!! (That's how long I have with the students).
  • Options
    No problem. In fact this was perfect timing FI is working from home today and was getting crabby. Now he is occupied and I was able to head out to go get Halloween stuff!
  • Options
    Maybe you could tell them what God is to you and ask them their opinions. I think kids in that age group are more receptive when they are part of the discussion.
  • Options

Oof, Atheist here so I should GTFO, haha, but thought I'd offer a thought anyway. I grew up in the Catholic school system, and when I was the age of the kids you're teaching I would have really appreciated someone encouraging me to form my own opinions and not be afraid to question things that I'm learning about religion. Learning about other religions also really helped my education/widen my perspective.

GL :)

____________________________________________________________________________________

• Options
    @rajahmd, funny you say that. I also posed is question on my Facebook, and one of my friends (who doesn't ascribe to a particular faith) said that God to her is Alanis Morissette.
    This made me laugh. Alanis is ma girl!

____________________________________________________________________________________

• Options
    I would answer not "who," but "what" is God. My answer is usually something like a symbolic personification of a collective universal consciousness. 
    No beard involved. 

Yikes this is a hard one. Maybe give them a lesson like about creation and the story of the birth of Jesus. Movies like the Passion should be helpful it's hard because there are so many different branches of Christianity to pinpoint a very clear explanation. Such as some not taking the literal it took 7 days to create the world but some believe it literally took that much time then you get into the science explanations and different views and before you know it everything is a hot mess. So I would start with the basics that all Christians believe without going into the "nitty gritty", so focus on what God means to them and the world with connection to heaven. Actually as silly as this may sound some children's cartoons such as Veggie Tales give very simple explanations. 
    I hope you're joking about the veggie tales. She said junior high and high school.
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    Maybe you could tell them what God is to you and ask them their opinions. I think kids in that age group are more receptive when they are part of the discussion.

Thanks! That's actually one of my first questions to them ... Who is God to you? And I'm also planning to ask if they even believe in God.

Oof, Atheist here so I should GTFO, haha, but thought I'd offer a thought anyway. I grew up in the Catholic school system, and when I was the age of the kids you're teaching I would have really appreciated someone encouraging me to form my own opinions and not be afraid to question things that I'm learning about religion. Learning about other religions also really helped my education/widen my perspective.

GL :)

I'd like to think that I'm a bit of a renegade teacher. I am not a fan of telling people what to believe (especially high school & junior high students). I think there is importance to sharing doctrine about what the church teaches, but at the same time to encourage them to develop their own experiences and outlooks. Thanks for the insight!
  • Options
    I would answer not "who," but "what" is God. My answer is usually something like a symbolic personification of a collective universal consciousness. 
    No beard involved. 

I hope you're joking about the veggie tales. She said junior high and high school.
    LOL I sorta of am but hey it's simple don't want to overwhelm them on their first day :)  Trying to lighten a serious and difficult topic. Religion is such a touchy and complex subject why not lighten it up dancing, singing, talking veggies! Just kidding. :)
  • Options
    larrygaga said:

Let me also provide more insight regarding this group of students. They are brand new to Christianity. They are in the "inquiry" stage. I was hoping to get a variety of views to help them see that believing in God is not easy, and it's okay to doubt.

Love and accepting everybody means loving and accepting gays, strippers, minorities, and people of other faith or ideas. That's why I don't go to church anymore, but I pray daily. 

If you teach them anything, teach them to love their neighbor with no exceptions. 

Exactly this. But unlike LarryGaga, this message is exactly what I hear at church and what keeps me going back.

If I had to sum it up in one word, love.
  • Options

larrygaga said:

Love and accepting everybody means loving and accepting gays, strippers, minorities, and people of other faith or ideas. That's why I don't go to church anymore, but I pray daily. 

If you teach them anything, teach them to love their neighbor with no exceptions. 
    Exactly this. But unlike LarryGaga, this message is exactly what I hear at church and what keeps me going back.

@STARMOON44‌ , funny you say that. One of the passages I want to share with them is "God is love".
  • Options

No beard involved. 

LOL I sorta of am but hey it's simple don't want to overwhelm them on their first day :)  Trying to lighten a serious and difficult topic. Religion is such a touchy and complex subject why not lighten it up dancing, singing, talking veggies! Just kidding. :)

Yeah, I'm a VeggieTales fan, but I don't want to just put on a video. I want this to be a discussion and sharing time to let them explore.
  • Options

larrygaga said:

This. I hear this too. And now a days, the Pope has recently made speeches how we need to love and accept gays.

My definition is unconditional love, no matter what.

image   image   image

• Options
    @Sugargirl1019‌ , are you referring to the recent meetings in the Vatican? Random fun fact, that wasn't the Pope who said that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards