Chit Chat

Wedding Pictures on Christmas Cards?

The fact I am questioning this probably tells me what I need to know, but I would like some outside opinions.

DH and I got married in January and since we had beautiful pictures in the snow I would like to use them to make photo Christmas cards this year.  By the time we mail these out we will be a few weeks from our 1st anniversary (YEAH!!!) so would it be too over the top to use them?
photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: Wedding Pictures on Christmas Cards?

• I think it's a great idea!
  • Not at all, I also think its a nice idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A close friend did this last Christmas - I thought it was cute! I say go for it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Go for it! Might as well get some extra mileage out of those pictures. I think it might be a little silly to use them a few years from now, but this is still your first Christmas as a married couple, even if it's 11 months in. There are some really cute card designs for wedding pictures... "Married Christmas," "Married and Merry," "Our First Noel," etc.

• I would totally do it. My Mom always does that with wedding photos even though the weddings were in the summer months. I don't think that since it's a few months closer to a year that it would make a difference. 
  • Awesome!  I will have to start hunting out places for the best prices.

I really thought everyone would say it was too AWish at that point!
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Glad you asked, I was wondering the same thing!
    "First Noel" is a cute idea for sure. 

I mean, look at how cute.

I mean, look at how cute.
    It is so cute I hope I remember to steal this idea. It will be another year before we can, but so cute!
  • DH and I are using one of our wedding pictures for Christmas cards. We had a high decline rate and only put up a handful of pictures to social media (like, maybe 4 or 5?), so most people haven't seen pictures yet.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I think that's a cute idea! Since people don't seem to be side eyeing it, I might like to do that for ours as well, even though we got married in May.
    imageimage">
  • My brother did this. Said "Marry" Christmas. I guess people thought it was cute. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'd side-eye it.  A bit of an AWish, IMO.
  • doeydo said:
    I'd side-eye it.  A bit of an AWish, IMO.
    I'm side-eyeing you for this.

• doeydo said:
    You don't have to make everything about your wedding, especially almost a year later.  But, I am also one of those people that hate Christmas photo cards/the ones with the whole family all smiley and whatnot.  
  • Totally planning on doing this, provided we get our pictures in time. 
  • Unless we get a super cute, wintery photo taken on our Honeymoon, we will absolutely be using a wedding pic for our first christmas card! It does help that our wedding is in November, so it isn't like it will have been forever ago and forgotten. 

I don't think it is aw-ish at all. I feel like it is the same as when people send letters about what their family did during the year. YOU GOT MARRIED. I'd say that's worthy of being on the card. 

• daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    I judge a lot of things, but I don't judge a wedding photo for your first holiday card as a married couple. After it's been a year+ yes. But the first one, go for it. 
  • We got married in February and used a wedding picture for our Christmas card.  I've received plenty of Christmas cards with wedding pictures on them, too. 
  • Year one, I think it's a big enough deal to be married that it's A-OK to use for your Christmas cards.  I think anything after that first Christmas would be a bit strange. 

• Not AW-ish at all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hell I plan to use them this year, next year...maybe the year after. We're paying for them, I'm getting my fucking use out of them!

Hoping we'll have them in time this year. 
  • In the case of the snow pictures, I wouldn't side eye it a bit, because it makes sense.
    Pretty, magical snow pictures work. 

At the risk of sounding rude, I did get a Christmas card, months after the wedding, showing the honeymooning couple on a tropical beach. And I eye rolled, hard. Because Christmas/holiday cards are about Christmas/ holidays. Not about showing off your honeymoon or wedding pictures. Unless those pictures are specifically winter holiday themed. Maybe their mothers appreciated it. It honestly made my ass ache.

And apologies, but if anyone does do this, I think a tasteful "from our family to yours" or something like is so much more appropriate than Married Christmas or Our First Noel, Merry Married, etc. Because again, the holiday really isn't about your wedding. We were there, we saw it, we know, move on. 

I feel kind of Grinchy, but truth.
  • doeydo said:
    doeydo said:
    You don't have to make everything about your wedding, especially almost a year later.  But, I am also one of those people that hate Christmas photo cards/the ones with the whole family all smiley and whatnot.  
    I don't think it's about the wedding. It's just a picture of you and your spouse looking all fancy and in love. 

Damn girl, you got some issues to work through if Christmas cards with smiling people upset you enough to "hate" a card. It's a fucking card. 
  • I think it's fine for the first married Christmas. After that, I might wonder why you're using an 'old' photo, but I would do that for any picture I knew that was more than a year old. 
  • MagicInk said:
    doeydo said:
    doeydo said:
    I don't think it's about the wedding. It's just a picture of you and your spouse looking all fancy and in love. 

Damn girl, you got some issues to work through if Christmas cards with smiling people upset you enough to "hate" a card. It's a fucking card. 

DAMN BOX

nope, we are supposed to frown around holidays and send upsetting photographs. 

• In the case of the snow pictures, I wouldn't side eye it a bit, because it makes sense.

At the risk of sounding rude, I did get a Christmas card, months after the wedding, showing the honeymooning couple on a tropical beach. And I eye rolled, hard. Because Christmas/holiday cards are about Christmas/ holidays. Not about showing off your honeymoon or wedding pictures. Unless those pictures are specifically winter holiday themed. Maybe their mothers appreciated it. It honestly made my ass ache.

And apologies, but if anyone does do this, I think a tasteful "from our family to yours" or something like is so much more appropriate than Married Christmas or Our First Noel, Merry Married, etc. Because again, the holiday really isn't about your wedding. We were there, we saw it, we know, move on. 

Um...what if you don't live in a place that snows ever at all? No Christmas pictures for you? I gotta drive up north to take a picture with my spouse to put on our Christmas card?

Meh, I like pictures. I like cards. I like holidays. I'm an easily pleased girl.
  • edited October 2014

MagicInk said:
    In the case of the snow pictures, I wouldn't side eye it a bit, because it makes sense.

Um...what if you don't live in a place that snows ever at all? No Christmas pictures for you? I gotta drive up north to take a picture with my spouse to put on our Christmas card?

Meh, I like pictures. I like cards. I like holidays. I'm an easily pleased girl.
    I live in Houston.  I'm used to wearing shorts and flip flops while Christmas shopping.  Our Christmas card 2 years ago was of us standing in front of the lake wearing short-sleeved shirts and pants. 
  • MagicInk said:
    In the case of the snow pictures, I wouldn't side eye it a bit, because it makes sense.

SITB

Me too.
  • MagicInk said:
    doeydo said:
    doeydo said:

DAMN BOX

nope, we are supposed to frown around holidays and send upsetting photographs. 
    I have been doing Christmas wrong for so many years....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards