Attire & Accessories Forum

Are certain silhouette's not appropriate for outdoor weddings?

I am headed out for first time dress shopping shortly.  I am having an evening outdoor wedding in October of 2015.  Would a ball gown be inappropriate?  I haven't tried anything on and may hate them, but I am leaning toward them right now.  What silhouettes should I consider for outdoors?  I will try on everything to see what I feel best in, but don't want to make a mistake!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Are certain silhouette's not appropriate for outdoor weddings?

• Any silhouette would be appropriate for an outdoor wedding.  What you should keep in mind is the formality of your wedding.  A huge stain and bling encrusted ballgown may not really go with a backyard BBQ wedding, but would be fine if you were having a formal wedding on the grounds of a mansion.  So really, the formality of your event and what looks best on your body should be your main focus.

Also, keep in mind that ballgowns can vary in formality, IMO.  If you wore a chiffon ballgown that was light and airy, that would be perfectly fine for a more casual affair, but like I said above, a huge satin ballgown is leaning more towards formal.

• I agree with Maggie about the formality and venue guiding your selection.

Also, if it's an outdoor wedding, you should think about the terrain and whether or not the silhouette allows you to navigate it. For example, some people have trouble moving freely in the fit and flare style gowns. On your wedding day, you want to be in the moment with your FI, not worried about whether you can walk or sit down in your dress.
    *********************************************************************************

• edited October 2014
    Ditto PPs about the formality and the terrain when picking your shape and material. 

Will you be walking on some sort of a path or in the grass? The more dress you have and the harder it is to pick up, the more little bits of things it will pick up. My lace train and the little bit of crinoline (mermaid style dress) looked like the back end of a lawn mower by the time we were done with outdoor pictures. It was like velcro for grass clippings. A satin dress would have done much better.

• An acquaintance of mine sent me the pictures of her wedding not too long ago (I was looking for a photographer) and she wore a big ball gown to her extremely casual outdoor wedding. The ballgown was a satin corset on top and then layers and layers and layers of tulle on the skirt. I'll be honest, it was an interesting choice given that the groom didn't wear a jacket. But it also looked like she had no fucks to give about what others thought and found a dress she loved and wore the shit out of it. My favorite pictures were of her going down a slip and slide in her dress. Aside from the concerns other pps have expressed, ie, mobility, just wear what you want. 
  • I am of the camp of wear what you want.  I had a taffeta ballgown dress for an afternoon outdoor wedding.  My Husband wore a shirt and vest with dress slacks.  No one cared if their was a "formality" issue.  I loved my dress and I could easily move/sit in my dress (a requirement for me no matter how formal/informal the wedding).  I don't disagree with the others about the formatilty, but I say, go with what you love!
  • I found my dress!!!!!  It was not at all what I thought I wanted, and I LOVE IT.  It will be so comfortable for the setting, lightweight, easy to move in.  I added a blush tie on and am debating a veil.  I am very excited!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I found my dress!!!!!  It was not at all what I thought I wanted, and I LOVE IT.  It will be so comfortable for the setting, lightweight, easy to move in.  I added a blush tie on and am debating a veil.  I am very excited!!

Beautiful!

• Here is a pict of me in it....mind the farmer's tan, will fix that!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• It looks great on you! Super flattering, and I love the sash. Looks like it will be super easy to get around in, too. Great choice!

• Looks great, glad you found your dress!
  • It's lovely! Congrats!
  • I love it!  Congrats!!!!
  • congrats!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards