Attire & Accessories Forum

My wedding dress

I purchased by wedding dress last week, and was really looking for something that is "romantic"/sexy, elegant and unique. I purchased this dress, and really loved wearing it. I know everyones style and opinion are different, however, I wanted to get some opinions on my dress. I love the lace, fit and satin and low back however, I still want to look classy. (We are not getting married in a church but rather outside) Thoughts?

Best Answer

• NdelibleNdelible member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment Name Dropper
    Answer ✓
    I think it's gorgeous. It does not have the lingerie look of a lot of the bustier dresses now. I had to look close to see that there was illusion sheer in it. And it fits you beautifully. Rock it and congrats!
    Happiness is an inside job

Re: My wedding dress

• Sorry, I don't find see-through dresses tasteful for a wedding. Between that and the outline of the upper curvature of your butt, I wouldn't be comfortable wearing that in public. And I posted half naked pictures of myself on the internet, so there that.

Can it be lined?

• Sorry, but it is like one of those Pnina dresses; see-through bits (with the exception of an illusion neckline or something) on wedding dresses do look cheap and tacky, IMO.  You can be a gorgeous, sexy bride without looking like you are trying.
  • Thank you for your time and opinions :) Obviously, when posting about your wedding dress, you are looking for reassurance or people to agree with you, however, everyone has a different style and taste which makes weddings so great. I am lining the sides of the dress, however, will be leaving the illusion back as I think it is rather romantic. You also must realize that this dress is 2 sizes too big for me and has not been sized (so, yes it does sit lower on my back then how it will when it is in my size). Again, thanks for your help. (Also, I don't think comparing the dress to someone posting pictures half naked on the internet is something that should be used as a comparison... seems like a low blow).
  • Thank you for your time and opinions :) Obviously, when posting about your wedding dress, you are looking for reassurance or people to agree with you, however, everyone has a different style and taste which makes weddings so great. I am lining the sides of the dress, however, will be leaving the illusion back as I think it is rather romantic. You also must realize that this dress is 2 sizes too big for me and has not been sized (so, yes it does sit lower on my back then how it will when it is in my size). Again, thanks for your help. (Also, I don't think comparing the dress to someone posting pictures half naked on the internet is something that should be used as a comparison... seems like a low blow).
    Uh, you asked for opinions and you got them, very politely too I might add.  And @Lolo883 did post half-naked pics, and they were tasteful and gorgeous, and not a low blow comparison at all.  She was just saying she's comfortable with showing a lot of skin in certain situations, but would not be comfortable with that dress.

I would not wear that in public, sorry.  It is very beautiful but it looks like lingerie.

How is the dress too big for you?  So you're saying it's going to be tighter?

Here's my real advice, though.  You purchased this dress, so obviously you love it.  If you truly feel comfortable with this dress, don't second-guess yourself.  Everybody has different taste.  Are you really going to return the dress and buy something else because some internet strangers don't like it?  I doubt it.  Asking for opinions is only going to make you feel bad about your choice.  Just don't do it.

And if you're asking because you AREN'T comfortable?  Listen to your gut.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I purchased by wedding dress last week, and was really looking for something that is "romantic"/sexy, elegant and unique. I purchased this dress, and really loved wearing it. I know everyones style and opinion are different, however, I wanted to get some opinions on my dress. I love the lace, fit and satin and low back however, I still want to look classy. (We are not getting married in a church but rather outside) Thoughts?

JIC.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I honestly think the dress is very beautiful. What accessories are you going to pick? How will you wear your hair?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I love the design of the bodice and you have very good figure so you looks beautiful in that dress.
  • It's very pretty! I love the illusion back. I would only suggest against it if you were marrying in a church which you aren't. You love it and that's what matters. Not all women would wear or prefer a "sexier" dress but I bet your groom will love it. ;)
    Well you didn't ask for reassurance, you asked for opinions. And how on EARTH is that dress too big? If it's any tighter, we'll be able to see your appendix. The reason I brought up my pictures is to prove that I believe there can be a good happy place between sexy and tasteful, but I think this dress misses the mark. The back of the dress is absolutely romantic - it looks just like the negligee I wore on my wedding night. And if you didn't think there was a chance it looked tacky, you wouldn't have asked.

This is what it reminds me of:

• I think the dress is beautiful and you look gorgeous in it. It does look sexy and romantic, but not trashy in my opinion. I'm not quite sure which see through bits are bothering others, but they don't bother me on this dress. And I am bothered by the Pnina Tornai dresses with the see-through corsets. I don't think this dress fits in the same category. I guess the key might be to know your audience. I wouldn't hesitate to wear a dress like that (if I felt I could pull it off) at my wedding. However, if I had a more conservative family or friends, then I might feel uncomfortable. 
  • cafarriecafarrie member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I think the front is beautiful, but the see-through sides and back make it look trashy rather than sexy.  I would definitely have the sheer lace lined underneath!!!!

Edit: spelling is hard
  • The dress, IMO, is very glamorous, providing there will be no but cleavage showing after the alterations. Good call on lining the sides.

• I want to see you try to sit down when the dress is sized down two sizes. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Thank you for your time and opinions :)Obviously, when posting about your wedding dress, you are looking for reassurance or people to agree with you, however, everyone has a different style and taste which makes weddings so great. I am lining the sides of the dress, however, will be leaving the illusion back as I think it is rather romantic. You also must realize that this dress is 2 sizes too big for me and has not been sized (so, yes it does sit lower on my back then how it will when it is in my size). Again, thanks for your help. (Also, I don't think comparing the dress to someone posting pictures half naked on the internet is something that should be used as a comparison... seems like a low blow).
    ....if all you want is people to agree with you, ask your friends.  If you want various, honest opinions, post on a message board....and don't get defensive when you get those opinions.
    Anniversary

• I'm kind of torn with the dress.  I like the look of the front, but am not a fan of the sides at all.  (i know you said you are lining them so that may help sway my opinion there).  The back is a bit low to me, and I am not sure how you would fit into a smaller size!  Unless you are holding a bunch of extra fabric that dress looks to be your exact size.

As far as the overall look, I think I get where the wholse sxy nightie thing comes in...the very plain satin/silk look with the lace does give off that vi a bit...but I think the veil helps make the look more bridal and less sexy time.

Also I really want to echo this post!

Here's my real advice, though.  You purchased this dress, so obviously you love it.  If you truly feel comfortable with this dress, don't second-guess yourself.  Everybody has different taste.  Are you really going to return the dress and buy something else because some internet strangers don't like it?  I doubt it.  Asking for opinions is only going to make you feel bad about your choice.  Just don't do it.

And if you're asking because you AREN'T comfortable?  Listen to your gut.

...damn quote boxes got messed up.
  • The dress certainly fits you, and looks nice. If the look you are going for is this dress, then wear it and rock it. If you are concerned with whether or not it is "classy" and you are worried about what others will think, THEN I would listen to the opinions of the previous posters who believe it is too risque for a church wedding. 

But, at the end of the day, it is your dress and what you think is the only thing that matters. I don't think it is offensive, but it is more revealing than most wedding gowns. 

• On the two pictures showing the front I'm clipped in the back to try and get a more realistic look of what the front would look like. I'm not very busty as you can tell. The picture of the back I'm not clipped. I absolutely love the low back, really my only concern was the sides which I would like to line. As mentioned, I do appreciate the feedback and input - I know not everyone will love my dress and don't expect everyone to agree. However, going out of your way to find and post pictures of lingerie as a comparison is rude. You can be honest, event blunt but still be sensitive to other people's feelings.
  • Perhaps some missed the part where OP said she was not getting married in a church?  I think the comparisons to lingerie are off the mark.  The dress in no way looks trashy or like those horrendous Pnina over priced frocks.

OP - rock it!  If I could wear something like that, I certainly would.  I know FH would LOVE it.
  • OP, several users (myself included ) commented on how beautiful the dress is. You can really only focus on the positive if that's what you really want.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited October 2014
    On the two pictures showing the front I'm clipped in the back to try and get a more realistic look of what the front would look like. I'm not very busty as you can tell. The picture of the back I'm not clipped. I absolutely love the low back, really my only concern was the sides which I would like to line. As mentioned, I do appreciate the feedback and input - I know not everyone will love my dress and don't expect everyone to agree. However, going out of your way to find and post pictures of lingerie as a comparison is rude. You can be honest, event blunt but still be sensitive to other people's feelings.
    The internet probably isn't a good place for you if that hurt your feelings. You asked for opinions, I told you the dress reminded me of lingerie, then showed you the lingerie I was thinking of to show that it does, indeed, have similar design elements. JFC. 

• Ndelible said:
    Perhaps some missed the part where OP said she was not getting married in a church?  I think the comparisons to lingerie are off the mark.  The dress in no way looks trashy or like those horrendous Pnina over priced frocks.

OP - rock it!  If I could wear something like that, I certainly would.  I know FH would LOVE it.
    So just because she is not getting married in a church means that we aren't allowed to have the "too sexy"/looks lingerie-ish opinion?

Look, OP, if you love the dress then wear it.  Why even come on here and ask for opinions on something that is solely your decision and if you are happy with it then why even need opinions in the first place?

But since you asked, I do think is semi-resembles lingerie.  Whenever you mix satin, lace, sheer, and a tight slinky fit you get a lingerie vibe.

• I think it looks like lingerie AND it's gorgeous. 

Wear it if you want to, but be aware that it's definitely going to raise some eyebrows. 
  • Ndelible said:
    Perhaps some missed the part where OP said she was not getting married in a church?  I think the comparisons to lingerie are off the mark.  The dress in no way looks trashy or like those horrendous Pnina over priced frocks.

So just because she is not getting married in a church means that we aren't allowed to have the "too sexy"/looks lingerie-ish opinion?

Oh, of course you can have that opinion, but standards for church and other venues give a lot of leeway.  Location does help determine suitability for a dress, IMO.  
  • Ndelible said:
    Ndelible said:

Oh, of course you can have that opinion, but standards for church and other venues give a lot of leeway.  Location does help determine suitability for a dress, IMO.  
    There's a big difference between what's allowed at a venue and what people find classy/tasteful. She didn't ask if it met the standards required for any particular place, she asked for opinions on whether it was elegant/classy. It could be perfectly suitable for a venue and beautiful but your grandpa still throws his suit coat over your shoulders.

• Ndelible said:
    Ndelible said:

I realize that, but that doesn't mean that her not getting married in a church will change someone's opinion when they think the dress is too sexy.  They will think it is too sexy, church wedding or not.

• I think it's pretty and honestly reminds me s lot of my dress. You are planning on getting it lined, so that should take care of visible panty lines.

Basically, if you love it, rock it.

Anniversary
  • Beautiful dress! While I do agree it's a "sexy" dress, I don't think it looks distasteful for a wedding that's not being held in a church. I think you've just got the perfect figure for it - if someone curvier like Kim Kardashian wore it, it would go from sexy to X-rated.
  • I like the dress on you.  Congrats on finding your dress.  
  • I think it's a beautiful dress.  I only wish I had the figure to rock that.  It's definitely on the sexier side, but I don't think that's a bad thing depending on your ceremony location and general family dynamics.  If you love it, be confident that you look sexy as hell in it! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards