Chit Chat
Options

Who else is excited?

2»

Re: Who else is excited?

• Options
    The side hug is common in Christian youth ministry to keep people from "too much touching". As an adult helping with the youth, it's encouraged so that the kids don't get the wrong idea and accuse people of inappropriate touching.
    I think if you're worried about kids getting the wrong idea about a hug, you probably should just not touch kids. Sorry. That just seems really victim blamey and cover our ass fuck the kids to me.
    There is just a lot of scrutiny regarding how adults interact with Catholic youth. There are quite a few precautions we have to take to reduce suspicions. Side hugs is one of them. ETA: I can appreciate how it can sound like victim-blaming. I know of several of my (now former) youth group kids developed crushes on the male youth ministers and volunteers before most of these precautions were put in place. It's something to help prevent youth from reading too much into something as simple as a hug.
    I was thinking a lot of it may have to do with the Catholic priest child molesters years ago with young boys. I don't remember learning about a side hug when I went through the VIRTUS training. Hmm is it more common in certain churches or areas of the country?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

chibiyui said:

The side hug is common in Christian youth ministry to keep people from "too much touching". As an adult helping with the youth, it's encouraged so that the kids don't get the wrong idea and accuse people of inappropriate touching.

I think if you're worried about kids getting the wrong idea about a hug, you probably should just not touch kids.

Sorry. That just seems really victim blamey and cover our ass fuck the kids to me.
    There is just a lot of scrutiny regarding how adults interact with Catholic youth. There are quite a few precautions we have to take to reduce suspicions. Side hugs is one of them.

ETA: I can appreciate how it can sound like victim-blaming. I know of several of my (now former) youth group kids developed crushes on the male youth ministers and volunteers before most of these precautions were put in place. It's something to help prevent youth from reading too much into something as simple as a hug.

I was thinking a lot of it may have to do with the Catholic priest child molesters years ago with young boys. I don't remember learning about a side hug when I went through the VIRTUS training. Hmm is it more common in certain churches or areas of the country?

----------------

Ahhhh, a fellow Virtus graduate! I had to attend that in 2003 when it was first required. I just went to the refresher this summer. At my old parish, there were several catechists who were good looking single guys in their 20s and 30s. A lot of the high school girls had crushes on them, and we were STRONGLY encouraged to use side hugs to help make sure nobody misinterpreted things. That is the only time it was emphasized for us.
  • Options
    TLC now has a freaking countdown. They're really excited about this one. Was there this much hype over Josh's wedding? I can't remember.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    hellohkb said:
    TLC now has a freaking countdown. They're really excited about this one. Was there this much hype over Josh's wedding? I can't remember.
    Josh's wedding was the only episode of that show I've ever watched. The little kids were whipping cake at his wife and acting like douchebags.

No thank you forever.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Yeah, sounds like the youngest Duggar kids for sure.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I think if you're worried about kids getting the wrong idea about a hug, you probably should just not touch kids. Sorry. That just seems really victim blamey and cover our ass fuck the kids to me.
    There is just a lot of scrutiny regarding how adults interact with Catholic youth. There are quite a few precautions we have to take to reduce suspicions. Side hugs is one of them. ETA: I can appreciate how it can sound like victim-blaming. I know of several of my (now former) youth group kids developed crushes on the male youth ministers and volunteers before most of these precautions were put in place. It's something to help prevent youth from reading too much into something as simple as a hug.
    ---------------- Ahhhh, a fellow Virtus graduate! I had to attend that in 2003 when it was first required. I just went to the refresher this summer. At my old parish, there were several catechists who were good looking single guys in their 20s and 30s. A lot of the high school girls had crushes on them, and we were STRONGLY encouraged to use side hugs to help make sure nobody misinterpreted things. That is the only time it was emphasized for us.
    Oh ok I think I took it back around 2010-2011.
  • Options
    hellohkb said:
    I haven't started following the show as much as I have this season "mostly because of the wedding" but if I remember correctly I don't think there was as much hype with Josh's wedding. I wonder if they will do the same for Jessa's? My guess is after awhile it will be "old hat".
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ---------------- Ahhhh, a fellow Virtus graduate! I had to attend that in 2003 when it was first required. I just went to the refresher this summer. At my old parish, there were several catechists who were good looking single guys in their 20s and 30s. A lot of the high school girls had crushes on them, and we were STRONGLY encouraged to use side hugs to help make sure nobody misinterpreted things. That is the only time it was emphasized for us.
    I remember when it was first rolled out, and it was  A PAIN.  So many people were upset that we had to attend another training class and that we (as volunteers) were having to take measures to protect ourselves because of the sins of others.  I think the rule of taking it every 5 years is relatively new, and I stopped being involved in working with the youth group in late 2009.  I was told this year that I was required to take it to be an EMHC and to help teach RCIA.  The follow-up course is only an hour and isn't quite as scary. 
  • Options
    luckya23luckya23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014

The show was not NEARLY as popular for Josh's wedding, but I think it was probably just as much the season finale and was probably close in terms of TLC hype.  In the larger media though, Josh's wedding rated a 1 out of 100, whereas I see an article about the Duggar girls almost daily right now.

ETA: Josh's wedding was actually the season premiere.  Her family mostly planned it though, and it wasn't 1000 strong!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I'm guessing because it's the first female Duggar to get married. Since the wedding industry focuses solely on the bride, TLC probably see's it as more "fun" this time around.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I remember when it was first rolled out, and it was  A PAIN.  So many people were upset that we had to attend another training class and that we (as volunteers) were having to take measures to protect ourselves because of the sins of others.  I think the rule of taking it every 5 years is relatively new, and I stopped being involved in working with the youth group in late 2009.  I was told this year that I was required to take it to be an EMHC and to help teach RCIA.  The follow-up course is only an hour and isn't quite as scary. 
    lol Yes it was such a pain.:( I originally took it when I was teaching First Grade religious educ. I haven't gone back for the refresher as I haven't really had the time to be as involved as I was when I lived back home after college.  I would like to do more again, it's good to know it's not as long for the refresher. :)
  • Options
    Nope nope nope.  The Duggars skeeve me out. 

• Options
    It isn't just emphasized in Catholic Churches.  I've worked with baptist/non denominational youth groups for over 15 years.  We are strongly encouraged not to give hugs to the kids to avoid misinterpretation by anyone youth, parents, visitors alike.  Further, the youth ministers I've worked with have been told that they can't have closed office door meetings with kids.  And parents and other youth workers that have volunteered along side me have made it a point that if they are transporting kids to/from an event they are never alone in a vehicle with someone else's kids, ever PERIOD.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I still have a hope that Ginger "goes rogue", cuts her hair, gets a tattoo, and moves into a highrise apartment in NYC with Anna's normal sister showing her the ropes of how to drink, wear makeup, and rock a pair of skinny jeans.  Ginger seems like she'd be the badass.
  • Options
    ShellD13, thanks for adding to that conversation!  I have noticed that many other churches are doing this as well.  Those guidelines you reference all sound very familiar.  It's sad that we live in a world where this is even an issue.
  • Options
    adk19 said:

I still have a hope that Ginger "goes rogue", cuts her hair, gets a tattoo, and moves into a highrise apartment in NYC with Anna's normal sister showing her the ropes of how to drink, wear makeup, and rock a pair of skinny jeans.  Ginger seems like she'd be the badass.

I hope she starts spelling her name Ginger instead of Jinger when this happens. I think she was the one who said she would kiss a boy before marriage.

I don't see how waiting to even hold hands is gonna help if all you're gonna do is have a million kids anyway.

• Options
    adk19 said:
    Anna has a "normal" sister?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yep.  She wears jeans and has a pixie cut.  She was on a couple episodes.  She's even more normal than Cousin Amy.

ETA: just tried to look her up (find her name), and came upon this instead.  http://powderroom.jezebel.com/which-duggar-is-most-likely-to-break-free-from-the-fami-1587846451  Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks Jinger's gonna run.  Apparently there's a whole website dedicated to "Free Jinger".  Heh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards