Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Twentieth Century Club Canceling Weddings

I cannot believe this is happening to me.  I posted here a few months ago because my wedding venue in the VA Beach area canceled on me and I wanted advice looking for a place to get married in Pittsburgh, where my fiance is from.  We received a call yesterday from the new place we had on hold - The Twentieth Century Club - letting us know that they, too, were canceling.  To explain, no money had been exchanged because they told us our date was fine and that they would be on vacation for 2-3 weeks, but would get back with us after to confirm and sign contracts. When they didn't get back to us when we expected, we started calling and emailing and then found this out.

I'm posting here because when I asked what they were going to do about all the other weddings they'd booked, they said they weren't sure yet, but possibly would have to cancel.  Just wanted to give others a heads-up, in case this wasn't common knowlege yet.  (I did a search, but didn't see anything here, so please forgive me if it is.)

I am in pure disbelief that I'm about to start looking for a new wedding venue for the third time.  :(

Re: Twentieth Century Club Canceling Weddings

• pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Say wha? Did they give you a reason?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    reading your post at first, it seemed to me like maybe they just got another deposit for your date while you were gone, then decided to cancel. (which is really lame and sucks)

If this is a bigger problem, that sucks even worse, and would probably affect a lot of brides.

Any more details? did they say they were closing or something?
  • spencedmspencedm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They can't afford to keep it open is the gist of it.  They are going to try to raise the money through their members, but if that doesn't work, it sounded to me like they wouldn't be able to continue to run it.  This is my take on it, anyways.
  • edited December 2011
    Did they say when this would possibly happen????  My wedding is there in 24 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even though I would assume you're safe, you may want to call.

I see you're "DC area" too.  I guess you were fleeing the DC expenses, like I was trying to?
  • edited December 2011
    I've already sent an e-mail to Gayle and my DF will be calling her tomorrow.  His parents are also prepared to go have some conversations in person tomorrow if necessary.  Ahhhhh, I can't deal with this stress just a little over 3 weeks out!

As for the DC area, there are certainly some beautiful places down this way, but we're both from the Pittsburgh area and our families are still there, so it wasn't a question of where we wanted to have it:)  The expense there compared to here is definitely a plus though! haha
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    edited December 2011
    Carly, I am sure they wouldn't cancel a wedding on that little notice.  My guess is it would be an end of the year thing, like cancelling all 2012 weddings and onward.  I am sure DF will hear good news from them  tomorrow :) but let us know if you need anything.

spence, I'm so sorry this happened to you again!  Have you thought about lemont? I found it to be in a similar price range to TCC when I was looking.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, spencedm-  sooo sorry this is happening to you.  You must be absolutely frantic right now.  Please keep us posted on everything;  I hope you will be able to find an even BETTER venue than the TCC :)  What other venues are you considering???
  • edited December 2011
    Oh wow. This is not good not good at all. TCC was our second choice, and now I am really glad I decided not to go with them as my wedding is March of 2012... still far away enough to have it canceled but to close to start looking for venues again. Thank God we ended up at the Carnegie, which doesn't charge their usual minimum for catering in March and thus fell in our budget. 

Wow, I am just really sorry to hear that.  I agree with MD- Lemont is in that price range and is an excellent option. We looked there as well. The Carnegie museums may be a good option to look at as well (prices differ based on which museums, room, etc). There is also the zoo, and I think the Heinz Musuem and mattress factory are close in price? Not as sure about that one. I know the downtown hotels usually require a minimum of $15K for everything (at least the ones we looked into) but will include all your rentals and your cake usually. I believe Lemont has that minimum charge as well though.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Britt0412Britt0412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry for everyone who has to deal with this. TCC was our second-choice for our August 2012 wedding. We were between the more traditional, gorgeous ballroom setting and a not-so-traditional, fun atmostphere. We ended up going with the latter and choosing the Aquarium at the Pittsburgh Zoo, I would definitely recommend giving them a call if it's a venue that interests you. The price point is similar and with three separate spaces for rent, there is a chance that they'll still have something open.
  • edited December 2011
    @Britt0412:  What a coincidence... TCC was our 1st choice but there was something about Gayle that totally made me look for a different venue.  So now we are at the Zoo in the Aquarium as well and our wedding is August 4, 2012.

@spencedm:  I too have alot of information on probably every venue in the Pittsburgh area.... so if I can be of assistance, please just send me a pm and I will be glad to email you over everything that I have on the venues.  But in the meantime, good luck... and I am so sorry that this happened.
  • Janiceb2010Janiceb2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The LeMont doesn't have a monetary minimum.  They do have a 125 guest minimum for Fri/Sat evenings.
    Bill (the catering manager) is fabulous!!!!
    Let me know if you have questions.  My wedding is there on 10/22.

Pittsburgh September Siggy - Our honeymoon will be at the Royal Suites Turquesas in P*nta Cana. Super excited!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my gosh, thank you guys for all the kind words and ideas.  I am truly appreciative! Being from out of town means I know absolutely nothing about what I'm doing in Pittsburgh.  BTW, I'm looking for a place where we can have the ceremony too.  We aren't religious, so no church ceremonies for us.  Does this rule any of you guys' suggestions out?

So glad this doesn't seem to have affected anyone here!

@mms2012 - I am going to PM you. Thank you so much.  
  • Britt0412Britt0412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @mms2012 - So funny - we are in the Aquarium on August 11, 2012. I totally loved the idea of TCC, in theory. It was just an instinct or gut feeling that led us to pick the Aquarium instead. I feel so bad for anyone dealing with this situation.
  • edited December 2011
    Spence - I don't believe ceremonies can be held at the zoo/aquarium, although like others have said, it's a really fun venue! This was our second choice, but opposite of Britt, we chose to go with the more traditional, ballroom setting. 

MD - thanks for the thoughts.  Gayle responded first thing this morning and we have nothing to worry about, thank goodness!  I kind of figured this would be the case since it's so close and we never heard anything re: the situation, but it still had us on pins and needles last night!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    @ spence-- I know the venue we are using, Embassy suites hotel, lets you have the ceremony there. They have an indoor gazebo that couples use and then the reception is held in the ballroom.
    Below is the picture ( you can almost see the gazebo-it is behind the waterfall and to the right!)

I hope you find a venue!

Embassy Suites Pittsburgh - International Airport Hotel, PA - Waterfall and Atrium
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_twentieth-century-club-canceling-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:ca997422-b2ee-47ea-a97f-afb5e24cd8cePost:11aab1ab-682a-467d-a09a-e6663cf8de83">Re: Twentieth Century Club Canceling Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]@Britt0412:   <strong>What a coincidence... TCC was our 1st choice but there was something about Gayle that totally made me look for a different venue.</strong>  So now we are at the Zoo in the Aquarium as well and our wedding is August 4, 2012. @spencedm:   I too have alot of information on probably every venue in the Pittsburgh area.... so if I can be of assistance, please just send me a pm and I will be glad to email you over everything that I have on the venues.  But in the meantime, good luck... and I am so sorry that this happened.
    Posted by mms2012[/QUOTE]

mms - this exactly. I think I PMd you about my aw fulexperience with her/TCC and I know I posted it here.  One of the thigns they got uspet at me for was asking if their board had considered a sale, like the concordia club.  So glad now that things worked out how they did. 
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    edited December 2011
    @spence when I was looking at lemont, Bill told me that I wouldn't need to hit the 125 person minimum on a saturday in April because it was off-season, and that was great for our smaller wedding.  Also, they can do a ceremony and reception at y olemont.  The ceremony view is a really pretty one.

Also, the  Rivers Club (downtown) had no minimum in April when I looked. Also can do both ceremony and reception there

@carly SO glad there was nothing to worry  about for you!!
  • elizajane519elizajane519 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Has anyone else been called about this?  My wedding is scheduled for May 2012 at the TCC and we are getting married at Heinz Chapel and then having our guests walk over to the reception.  Everything was planned so that our out of town guests don't have to drive all over Pittsbugh. If they are cancelling weddings I am going to have a fit and probably push back our wedding date. Ugh.  The club is 100 years old, I can't believe it is closing at this point.

And now of course I won't be able to get an answer until Tuesday...
  • edited December 2011
    Eliza - I would just hang in there until you can get a clear answer from Gayle.  She didn't give me any info about what's going on, so unfortunately I can't clarify anything else.  It will be a shame if it closes because of the history, so hopefully they find a way to keep the doors open!  And I hope it all works out for you!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • elizajane519elizajane519 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got an email from Gayle this morning.  My wedding reception  scheduled for May 2012 at the TCC is still on track.  She said they were doing construction next year and are trying to work around the wedding already scheduled and so were not scheduling new weddings. I hope that is the truth because right now I have time to work around if we have to reschedule.  I will not be so flexible in a few months and although I am not licensed to practice law in Pennslyvania, contract law is pretty universal.
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    edited December 2011
    oh, good to hear!  I think a lot of brides would have been pretty unhappy if this place closed.  Thanks for the update!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Eliza - That is absolutely not what they told me.  I had a board member call me (maybe you should consider asking to speak to her - her name is Carol Caroselli), who never said one peep about construction, just that it was a financial problem of being able to keep the place open.  And that they don't want to close, but if they don't raise the money from their members, they just weren't sure what the future of the TCC would be.  Again, when I asked about the already booked weddings (b/c I wondered what would have happened if I'd actually booked), she indicated she certainly didn't want to cancel them.  But her reason for not letting me book at that time was b/c she didn't want to have to cancel on me at a later date.  So, that to me says - they may have to cancel already booked weddings
    I really hate to say it, but if you're wedding's in May, I'd be nervous.  I would make sure to talk to someone a little higher up than Gayle for some more reassurance.  Even though you have the contract in place, take it from me, my first place basically ripped up the contract, sent me my money, and said "Sorry, good luck," so it can happen.  They had to do the same for weddings they had booked 4 months out.  And that would be a nightmare.  Even if the contract is on your side, if there's no where to get married (b/c the building's sold or something) - you're still completely screwed.  :(
    I hope, hope, hope this works out for you.  And I apologize if anything I said was too harsh or none of my business.  I just know how awful it is to get canceled on and don't want others to go through the same awfulness - or at least be empowered and have time to make alternate plans if you do have to.  My fingers are quadruple crossed for you.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards