Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress opinions & tux in the morning?

2 things:

1)  I bought my dress on Saturday!!!! I'll post pics below because I LOVE it, and I know I can count on everyone here to share my excitement!!!! I do want an opinion on the belt though.  That is one that I just tried on at the store. I am definitely wearing a belt but my mom is going to make it.  I don't know if I want a ribbon belt with centered beading or if I want one that is beading all the way around. My  mom and I are in the process of designing it now so I need to figure out what I want. 

2)  We are getting married in the late morning/early afternoon.  My dress obviously brought up attire for the whole WP and my mom. grandmother, MOH, basically everyone that I have talked to about this is saying it's crazy that FI might not wear a tux.  FI and I haven't really discussed it so I am not too sure how he feels but if I had to guess, he would probably decide on a suit.  According to the peanut gallery this is outrageous because "if he wears a suit you can't tell him apart from the other guests".....ummm yes you can, he's the groom.  Anyway, at the end of the day it doesn't matter what they think because FI will just wear what he feels comfortable wearing and that's fine.  But I just want to know if I am nuts for not being on the side of "all grooms must wear a tux."  A tux would not exactly be appropriate for a 9:30am ceremony and 11:00 reception would it? When I think tux I think black tie, more formal wedding. Not a middle of the day wedding at the beach.... 

Re: Dress opinions & tux in the morning?

• mrsbanany said:
    2 things:

1)  I bought my dress on Saturday!!!! I'll post pics below because I LOVE it, and I know I can count on everyone here to share my excitement!!!! I do want an opinion on the belt though.  That is one that I just tried on at the store. I am definitely wearing a belt but my mom is going to make it.  I don't know if I want a ribbon belt with centered beading or if I want one that is beading all the way around. My  mom and I are in the process of designing it now so I need to figure out what I want. 

2)  We are getting married in the late morning/early afternoon.  My dress obviously brought up attire for the whole WP and my mom. grandmother, MOH, basically everyone that I have talked to about this is saying it's crazy that FI might not wear a tux.  FI and I haven't really discussed it so I am not too sure how he feels but if I had to guess, he would probably decide on a suit.  According to the peanut gallery this is outrageous because "if he wears a suit you can't tell him apart from the other guests".....ummm yes you can, he's the groom.  Anyway, at the end of the day it doesn't matter what they think because FI will just wear what he feels comfortable wearing and that's fine.  But I just want to know if I am nuts for not being on the side of "all grooms must wear a tux."  A tux would not exactly be appropriate for a 9:30am ceremony and 11:00 reception would it? When I think tux I think black tie, more formal wedding. Not a middle of the day wedding at the beach.... 

Your dress is gorgeous!! Congrats! 

No, he shouldn't wear a tux in the morning. 
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    mrsbanany said:
    2 things:

Is your ceremony going to be and hour and a half or something?  Your reception should start right after the ceremony (plus allow time for travel, but have the reception ready for the first guest who arrives with a lead foot).  
    He could wear a morning suit.  @CMGragain can elaborate more on the tux vs. morning suit vs.suit options in terms of times of day and formalities.
  • Tuxes should only be worn after 6pm (or at a wedding that starts a bit before 6 and then proceeds into the evening/night).  But really, it is a victimless crime so if your FI wants to wear a tux then he can wear a tux.  What does your FI want to wear?  And yes, like you said, even if he wore a suit he will still stand out from the other guests because he is the groom.

As for your belt, I think a nice plain stain ribbon would be nice.  I just like how the top portion of your dress is plain and then below the waist the lace/bling slowly starts to spread out and down.  I just think a blingy belt would take away from that design aspect.

• Also, very pretty dress.  I think I would go with a belt with beading all the way around, but you can't go wrong.
  • blabla89blabla89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    No, a tux is not appropriate for a daytime event, and would certainly look out of place at the beach, but that's a victimless crime. If he really wants to wear one, then that's okay.

Your FI should wear whatever he feels is best. The idea that he would somehow get mistaken for a guest is silly. A suit would be perfectly fine.

ETA: And I love your dress! Congratulations!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• 1.  I like the look of teh belt in the photo but would go with something more understated/less sizable.  I also think the back should be a plain ribbon. 

2.  He can wear whatever he wants...my husband wore black pants with a black vest and a white button down.  Neither him or the GM's wore jackets at all and everyone knew he was the groom!!  Besides (although I don't care) tuxes aren't really appropiate for an AM wedding.

3.  I am hoping that the 1.5 hours between the ceremony start time and the reception start time is to account for a hosted cocktail hour, or a longish ceremony/receiving line/travel time.  I am not saying you have a gap...as it seems like you just didn't mention the finer details, but just remember to host everyone as soon as the ceremony is over/the first guests hits the reception space!

P.S.  Your dress is really, really pretty!

• mrsbananymrsbanany member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    Thank you :)

I thought so on the tux! Whatever, it totally is a victimless crime and FI will most likely just wear a suit, more his style anyway. Glad to know I wasn't crazy, not joking everyone I talked to about this said I was nuts and that he had to wear a tux....goodness maybe I should send them here.  

ETA: our ceremony is at a church and should take about an hour according to the priest and is about a 20 min drive to the reception. Also, it is in the middle of August on a Saturday on Cape Cod so the the drive will probably take closer to 30 min. It's all accounted for :)
  • Your dress is beautiful.  I would lean towards more of a plain belt (maybe have a flower detail on it) and would stay away from sparkles because it'll detract from the bottom of your dress.

As far as suit vs tux go - I would go with a suit.  If he gets a suit with a vest, perhaps that would be a compromise so everybody knows who the random stranger standing next to you at the alter is <yes there may have been a hint of sarcasm in that statement>.

Anniversary
  • We're doing a brunch wedding. 11:30am ceremony. FI doesn't want to wear a tux, and certainly not a morning suit. He's going to wear a medium gray suit (his favorite that he already owns), a navy tie, and pretty boutonniere that will be different than the groomsmen's. I think the bout will be a good indicator of GROOM if anyone is actually confused (unlikely).

My dad was a little surprised that he didn't want to wear a tux, since he thinks wedding = FORMAL, all caps, but he got over it.
  • edited October 2014
    Love the dress! I really like it with the belt. 

You're technically not supposed to wear a tux before 6pm. But, my H really wanted to wear one. And there was no way I was going to dictate to him what to wear the day of the wedding. So my H wore a tux for our afternoon wedding and he looked great. IMO, it's a victim-less crime. I'm wearing the fanciest dress I'll probably ever wear in my life. Why shouldn't he wear a tux if he wants to?
  • Gorgeous dress!  I think a plain ribbon will make the beautiful beading on the bottom stand out even more.  Congrats.

A suit for your FI sounds fabulous.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • Formal evening wear in the USA is usually a tuxedo.  It is worn after six o'clock.
    Formal daytime wear is a cutaway coat.  It is worn in the daytime to very formal events, like the Royal Wedding.  Here is an example:  http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplemental/Morning_Dress.htm

The rules say that no one should wear a tuxedo before six o'clock.  You can do what you want, but IMHO tuxedos look weird in the daytime.

Personally, I like men to wear a nice grey two piece suit.  They can buy onwe for about the price of a tuxedo rental, and they look great when worn with white shirts and long ties.
    @doeydo, can you shoe us some pictures?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Suits:
    To make the groom stand out more, he could have a bigger or different boutonniere or different tie.  Example of different tie:
    Example of different bout:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards