October 2014 Weddings

Married -- Now what??

Ok - so ladies, we all had our 'To Do' checklists PRIOR to the wedding, but now what???

Send out Thank You letters
I'm waiting to get my official marriage license so I can change:
My Name
Status from 'Single' to 'Married' at work
Get the house in order so H can move some more stuff in

What else do I need to do??

Anniversary

Re: Married -- Now what??

• I have to do similar...waiting on the documents for the name changing to begin.  I'm doing researching at work now to find out what I have to change and when for taxes, system name changes, other work documentation, etc.

Are you merging finances?  H and I just opened a joint account last night to put all of the $ we got from the wedding in and to do a joint checking for bills.  Now we get to sit down and figure out how much we're each putting in there every month.

Adding him to my health insurance is something else. 

Finding places for all of the gifts we got.

Start looking at houses!

• Same here. Waiting for appropriate docs for name change.

Need to change bank accounts, license, name on house.

I need to be added to his insurance.

Thank you cards need to be done/gifts need to be put away/unpacked.

Other then that I'm having a hard time with post-wedding planning. Need something to do lol! I've been looking into different classes at our Jo-ann Fabrics like sewing and cooking/baking. Also maybe a book club in my area.

Any ideas?

• mocarski002 the Nest has a book club message board. I've been thinking of joining. I also sew, but haven't since we got engaged. So I'm really looking forward to that. We could start a sewing club! I got a Jo-anns gift card as an engagement present. I need to use it!

We got our marriage certificate back, so I'm going to take the day off work tomorrow to start the name change process. I filled out the SS form that they provide online- so I just need to go to the office to finalize it. 
    When that's done, we will add DH to my bank account. 
    I've already been added to his health insurance. 
    Then I'll change my name at work and everywhere else. 
    I'm SO close to being done with Thank you Notes. Cannot wait to be done with those! My hands hurt!
    We had a garage sale last weekend to get rid of junk. But still have some things that didn't sell- so need to take those to Goodwill or storage. 

My focus for the next few months will be saving for a house, getting pre-approved for a mortgage, and beginning to house shop! I'm so excited about owning our first home! Our lease ends in April, so hoping to have a down-payment saved by then. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • I just got my Marriage License/Certificate back, so I can get my name changed over!!  The first Monday or Friday I was able to take off is Halloween; so I'll go down to the good ol' Social Security Agency in the AM followed by the DMV.  After that, I'm sure it'll be a few hours on the phone with Credit Card companies to get things swapped over... and of course there's the banks too.

When I come back Nov 3, I will get my name changed at the office.

Anniversary
  • @Dignity100‌ how did your wedding at Disney go??? How was the weather and everything else?
  • @pepperally - I'll have to do a cross post.  It rained, but it worked out to our benefit!  We ended up having the Ceremony outside, cake/champagne reception inside (was originally supposed to be outside), dessert party inside (originally was supposed to be outside); because the dessert party was inside we got a HUGE upgrade on firework viewing location because they didn't want to make my guests walk!!

Anniversary
  • Name change done!!! Ahh It's so weird to do my new signature!

The lines at the DPS and SS office were not as bad as I anticipated. I started at 8 this morning and was done by 11 with both offices! Then I went to the bank and had all my bank accounts changed. Now I need to figure out what other things will need to be changed... 

Car loan
    Student Loans
    Savings Account
    Work 
    email account
    health insurance

Am i missing something? I feel like there should be more. 

Anniversary
  • Here are some on my list I didn't see on yours, @bekt14 -

• Credit Cards
    • Car Registration/title
    • Utility bills
    • Renters/home insurance
    • Professional license
    • W-4 at work name change/change to married status
  • I applied for a new SS card, Fi put me on his benefits/insurance (he might have already put me on the house as well but I'm unsure). Waiting to get the new SS card to apply for a new DL and after I receive that I will change my credit cards and my email/resume.

We also bought new bedroom furniture which we had been wanting to do (as well as a comfy new mattress!).
  • Pepperally Thanks! Wow, there are so many things to change! I think I will have to wait until my new License and/or SS card come in to do a lot of them. 

We are going to Target tonight to buy some things for our house. I really want to splurge on a Keurig! 
    Anniversary
  • @bekt14 - I splurged on a Keurig last year and I love mine.  I'm the only coffee drinker so it is perfect for me, and it is the bigger programmable one, even if it's just me.  But it's nice to only have to fill up the reservoir every few days rather than every day.  
  • Ok, I'm looking at the name change thing and I'm getting overwhelmed!!

I have a ton of financial stuff (401K's I never rolled over because I'm waiting for stocks to recover), bank accounts, IRA account, credit cards, loans, etc.
    Insurance - House, Car, Health (regular medical and dental)
    Memberships - Such as AAA and Sam's Club

Oh well, I guess I'll get started on it all on Friday.  Not looking forward to it.  I figure I'll just have a credit report ran on me and go from there.

Anniversary
  • It is overwhelming. Just take it one item at a time!

Anniversary
  • Already started the process of adding him to all my ppw at work.  Name change process will probally be done next month the ss office is 1 hr away argh!! But other than that it's been going great.  Love being married.

To Do!

Thank you notes

clean the house (put away gifts)

Settle into married life (going great so far!)

• Anyone else having trouble remembering their new last name? I just submitted several homework assignments with my maiden name instead of my new one! oops, haha. I just got married on the 25th, so it definitely hasn't become habit yet. 
  • Is anyone still waiting to receive their marriage certificate in the mail? Our officiant let us know that everything was sent out on the 19th. We were married on the 18th, and I'm still waiting to get it back!! I need it in order to go to the dmv and the ss office. So I haven't done anything yet as far as name change goes. Should I be worried!?
  • I'm still waiting for mine (10/11 wedding). I searched our county's online database, and I was able to see that it had been sent in, received and officially recorded. So at least I know that the State of Texas sees us as officially married! But still waiting on the paper copy in the mail so I can start the name change process.
  • Ohhhh! I'll have to find out if my county has an online database for me to view!
  • PepperallyPepperally member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I don't think our county would even mail us a copy without us ordering one. It goes on record and such, but to get something physical back I had to go online and order my official copy with the seal after I saw that we had been registered with our wedding date showing up. So nothing our officiant sent in would have prompted them mailing us a certificate. Even an unofficial copy has a fee. I got an email saying our certificate was put in the mail to us today. So one step closer to all of the fun in name changing.
  • Oh that sucks! Our county returns the original to us automatically after they've recorded it. I can also view the unofficial one online and print an unofficial copy for free! Crazy how things are so different from one county/state to another!
  • I called the town hall where we got married yesterday. Basically they told me I can either go up there and pick it up (45 min drive) or send them a form with a copy of my ID and $20 check. If not I have to wait until after November 15th where it will be mailed to the town hall where I live.

• My wedding was 10/14 and I got my marriage license in the mail somewhere around 10/23.  My officiant knew I needed it mailed, so I know he took care of it on his end.  I can always call and request a few more copies if I need them.

Anniversary
  • In my packet of stuff I got when we went and got out marriage license, there was a paper for me to fill out, and was to be sent in with a 25 dollar check in order to receive a certified Copy. So I did this on the 19th, the same day that our officiant sent everything in. But the check hasn't even gone through yet on my bank statement. I think I should make a phone call.
  • hkda2003 said:
    In my packet of stuff I got when we went and got out marriage license, there was a paper for me to fill out, and was to be sent in with a 25 dollar check in order to receive a certified Copy. So I did this on the 19th, the same day that our officiant sent everything in. But the check hasn't even gone through yet on my bank statement. I think I should make a phone call.

Our county said to allow 10 business days for processing. Just to give you an example to go off of. I just got it today, put the order in 10/19.
  • Am I the only one who had to send in their own marriage license?? I guess it was a good thing as my officiant filled it out, but forgot to sign it, delaying it. I finally mailed it to my county, certified with a signature required. In the same envelope, I put in the required fee for several certified copies, and..to help speed the process, a self addressed stamp envelope.
  • I mailed ours in myself after we got back from the honeymoon. We got it back within a week after I sent it- so it wasn't too much a hassle. 
    Anniversary
  • I now have a new respect for the dmv now that I have been to the social security office. I spent maybe 45 minutes tops at the dmv and 2 hours at social security.
  • liepo005 said:

Anyone else having trouble remembering their new last name? I just submitted several homework assignments with my maiden name instead of my new one! oops, haha. I just got married on the 25th, so it definitely hasn't become habit yet. 

I'm just not sure if it will confuse my teachers! They don't have an A on their list, they have a P. :/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards