Favors

No actual favors?

edited October 2014 in Favors
As guests walk into the cocktail hour, we are doing a step-and-repeat (red carpet photos for guests like at celebrity events), and at the end of the event guests will receive a framed photo of their choosing, though I'd imagine the frames aren't anything substantial (I haven't seen them yet). After the reception, we are having an exit station that we are having stocked with cookies, hot chocolate, and apple cider (fall wedding). My mom keeps saying we still need favors, but we are trying to find ways to cut costs (the touch and repeat was part of our DJ package, and the exit station is from the hall, chosen as part of our package there).

Is this really not enough? I don't want to offend anyone, but the reason we chose the exit station and photos was so that we could avoid spending hundreds of dollars on little trinkets that nobody ever cares about anyway. Thoughts?

Re: No actual favors?

• atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    Skip the favor.  I don't take koozies, framed photos of the couple, etc. anymore because I don't want any more junk for my house.  If I am well-fed, given some form of alcohol (beer/wine--ok!  open bar--even more ok!), and have a good time, that's what I consider a great favor.  

Giving me a heart shaped bottle opener, koozie, candle, cookie, etc. on the way out doesn't ever make up for a boring/poor taste wedding with bad food.  Spend on what matters.  Favors don't.
  • Your mom is incorrect. Favors are never necessary. You do not need to do anything else.

Plus I don't see how she wouldn't view the exit station with cookies, cider, etc. as a favor. That confuses me. Would she feel better about it if you put these items at people's place settings? Maybe that's your compromise.
    *********************************************************************************

• Your mom is incorrect. Favors are never necessary. You do not need to do anything else.

Plus I don't see how she wouldn't view the exit station with cookies, cider, etc. as a favor. That confuses me. Would she feel better about it if you put these items at people's place settings? Maybe that's your compromise.
    I think I might probably blow this up, print it out, and hang it on her fridge :)
    That's how I feel about the station, it was offered by the hall and the manager told us that most people use them as their favors. I thought it was a great idea.    
  • I think southernbelle is on to something.  I'm not sure what your station provides but maybe if you added some takeaway bags or boxes (heck, even get some of those personalized ones with your names and dates), your mom would able to see the exit station as the favor.  I think your plan is good.
    Anniversary

• Favors are never necessary. Plus, what you ARE doing is favor-like and is plenty.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I would think the photos are your favor. What a great gift for couples as how often do couples get a professional shot of themselves when they are dressed up? Not very often. If you do a solid color background for the shot then people can put them in a nice frame & display them at home.

I also love the suggestion of others to have small bags or boxes available so people can take a few treats home from the exit station.

• Favors are not needed. Save your money and spend it on your honeymoon :) I have never been to a wedding and thought that the couple needed to give them something. 
  • I'm not doing favors either.  They're not a requirement and I don't even bother to take them with me when I leave (unless they are edible or a plant) because I don't have room for stuff with other people's names / initials on them cluttering up my house. 

If my fiance ends up wanting to do this, I'm going to suggest a groom's cake that can be boxed and handed out as a treat to people as they leave. 
  • I like your idea of the photos and the exit station. I think that's plenty of "favors." I honestly don't see what you could add on top of that that anyone might want.
  • Favors are not necessary, what you have planned is MORE than enough.  The personal photo is a lovely touch and I am sure your guests will be thrilled not to have yet another trinket to take home. 

• I don't think favors are necessary but there are some cheap alternatives like an organza bag (much cheaper than boxes) filled with some jelly beans or chocolates, etc. Just something for guests to munch on.
    We are giving little bubble tubes at the ceremony (placed on each chair with program) and then leaving small bags each filled with a chocolate kiss and some jelly beans at each place setting. Not heavily customized or anything. So pretty much the favors will be used up during the reception if the guests choose. 

I agree-- a lot of those trinkets are just a waste of money.

I love your idea of the exit station! That is so much better than wedding favors!!
  • I love your idea of the step and repeat. My fiance and I were thinking of doing the same and no other favors, I think that is favor enough. 

If you don't mind me asking, what company are you using?
  • Favors are not needed & I think they are kind of dumb. I never got a favor I wanted to keep, cared about or was excited about. Other things matter a lot more and people will appreciate it a lot more than a favor.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If I was a guest, I would think the favors and exit treats were the favor!! Anything else is just extra which you def do not need! I think what you have so far is such a cute idea, I might steal it! THANKS!  :)
  • I think your exit station IS your favor or its equivalent.
  • What you have going on sounds awesome to me. The red carpet idea with the framed picture at the end - that is a favour in and of itself and the exit station is a bonus. Favours don't need to be at the table to be favours.

Like a lot of the other brides here, we strayed away from chintzy things like cookies, bottle-openers, coozies.. and - salt/pepper shakers shaped like miniscule birds - YES we did receive those at one wedding!! LOL

We are making wine for our favours - little half-bottles, one white/one red for couples and singles can choose whatever they like. I much preferred the idea of giving people something that they can enjoy - even if they may not personally like wine they can try it and perhaps love it, or... at the least, they get to serve it to company that likes wine!

Kudos to you for the creative ideas - maybe try to ask your MIL why she needs to have little favours at the place-settings? Perhaps she is old-fashioned. I love your ideas!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards