Chit Chat

So many knots in my stomach :(

2»

Re: So many knots in my stomach :(

• It really sucks that they're leaving you in limbo for so long. A few suggestions that may help:

-See if your alma mater is having any careers fairs. They will usually let alum register and you can take a look at the companies that will be in attendance before hand and decide who you want to speak with and give a resume to.

-Google search for "companies in (town you live in/nearest city)". It sounds tedious but if you have time while you wait to hear something, you can often come across companies you didn't know were there.

-Keep your LinkedIn profile up to date and join groups that are within your line of work or area.

-Look for a Young Professional group in your area. They usually do a couple meet-and-greets each month and it's a good way to network.

Good luck! Sending internet hugs and crossed fingers!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This same thing recently happened to me. Fortunately, if it's anything like my place or work, you have time. No need to freak out. 

More than likely the acquisition will happen on time and nothing will really seem that different at first. Usually when companies are bought by competitors most of the effort is put into merging and the decisions of "who gets the axe" are made afterwards, and that can take up to a year. The new company buying you guys will probably want to come in and assess the situation, determine what they want to do and then make those decisions. So, like I said, it can be months to a year before they even announce that. THEN, if in a worst case scenario, they do decide to let you go, it's still probably going to be additional months after that because they need an easy transition. So, if you're getting laid off, you'll have more notice. 

I think the thing you need to keep in mind is that, in a worst case scenario where you both lose your jobs, it's not going to be a "they called me in on Friday and let me go" sort of deal. It's going to be months of "business as usual" "we're making plans to optimize costs and productivity" bullshit emails until anything actually happens. ESPECIALLY if this is a big company like you say it is. 

My company got sold September 2013. That's when I started looking for jobs. I live in a place where there is little to no job availability, in a career that is saturated, and the pay is lousy. Even with that I found something by June. At that point we were STILL in the bullshit business email phase at my old company. This past September was when they finally sent the email out saying that people were losing their jobs. Even so, they're doing it in stages, with the last people being sent off in February 2015. So, it's a long process. 

Don't freak out. Start looking. Look every day and have some flexibility as far as pay and location, even if the position itself is just a life boat until the next thing. You haven't even been officially sold yet so you have time. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • DH was fired from his company earlier this year,m4 months before our wedding. It was a complete surprise because they had moved him to a new position a few months before downsizing and eliminating that position. I'm a full time student and my scholarship isn't enough to support 2 people. We considered cancelling the wedding and just going to city hall to save money. We had to cut out all the "extras" for the wedding but were able to make it with his severance package. He found that a lot of people were very understanding and willing to give him a a few days off for the wedding. He ended up accepting a job with a start date a few weeks after the wedding so we could go on a minimoon. It sucks you are going though this.

Anniversary
  • I've been there. My first great job after college took me 2 years to find and I loved it. We were smaller but got acquired. I took the advice that I was given- stay until the bitter end. I ended up spending exactly 1 year at the new parent company before bailing. The 6 months before the deal were hell because I had no idea what would happen to me. During this time, I took the opportunity to decide what I wanted. I ended up going to grad school. The time I spent at the parent company was huge for me. I hated every moment I was there but the name on my resume still gets me interviews and impresses people. Don't underestimate the power of a big name on your resume.

My best friend worked for a huge international company that was acquired. She made a lot more money than her husband - who had one of the rare jobs in their town not attached to the company. She waited until she got laid off and collected her severance then started looking for a new job out of town. She and her husband ended up long distance for 6 months before he could find a job and end their lease in the old town. They're both now in a city they adore in jobs that have them making a LOT more money and that they like more.

My mom paid for our college with a similar (though uncommon) situation. When her last company got bought, her department was the first to go. They hired her back because they needed her (even Fortune 100 companies can be stupid). They let her go a second time. She negotiated well and managed to pull 2 severance packages and an absurd salary for 3 years- ridiculous enough numbers that she decided to put off retirement just to take their money.

Severance packages can be good. Big names on your resume are great. Finally, remember that you never really know what will happen or on what timeline.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards