Wedding Party

Bachelorette party games for over-50 bride?

My mom (age 57) is getting remarried, and my sister and I thought it would be fun to throw her a little bachelorette party. It's going to be a cocktail party hosted at another friend's home for about 15 women in their 50s and 60s. We're trying to come up with some games/entertainment that would be fun and hilarious but also suit the crowd (mostly pretty open-minded ladies, but we don't want any male strippers). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Re: Bachelorette party games for over-50 bride?

• Elise6212 said:
    My mom (age 57) is getting remarried, and my sister and I thought it would be fun to throw her a little bachelorette party. It's going to be a cocktail party hosted at another friend's home for about 15 women in their 50s and 60s. We're trying to come up with some games/entertainment that would be fun and hilarious but also suit the crowd (mostly pretty open-minded ladies, but we don't want any male strippers). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
    Congrats to your mom!

I think women are usually content if there's good food and good conversation. I really don't think you need games. I'm in my 20s and I'm already on "game fatigue" at events like this. I imagine when I'm in my 50s or 60s, I'll just excuse myself when the games begin.
    *********************************************************************************

• No games. Serve good food and lots of drinks. And I am sure fun lively conversation will happen on its own.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited October 2014

I'm in your mom's age bracket. If you have some great cocktails, food and background music. Let the guests chat and enjoy each other's company without interruptions for bp games.

Congrats to your mom.

• If you really feel like conversation will be lacking, pull out the cards from the games you have at home.  Pull out a stack of trivia cards.  A stack of cards from games like Would You Rather.  And just set them out on the coffee tables.  If the room is silent, someone can reach forward and go, "oh, what's this?  Interesting.  So, would you rather be bitten by an alligator or be forced to listen Mariah Carey's high notes for 24 hours straight?"
  • Does your mom want games? If she does, perhaps you could ask her FI questions and see if she'd know the answer.
  • My friends made me attack a penis pinata. 

Don't do the penis pinata. 

But this was fun. We love to play pictionary in my group, so they made it all wedding themed. Other than that, I say no games. 
  • I am also in my mid twenties and already suffering from game fatigue.  Another vote for good food and conversation.  

• Have you asked your mom if any games are something she and her friends would be interested in? I like the idea of having regular games available, but just not scheduled. 

I'd rather be bitten by an alligator too, by the way. 

Also, for what it's worth, I was at a very popular bachelorette destination one night and saw a group of women who appeared over-40. They were drinking their cocktails out of penis straws. I already hate penis straws no matter the age, but thought it was extra-odd for that group. I'm sure by one's 40's and 50's the penis isn't exactly a mystery.  

• If there had been games at my own shower or bachelorette I would have excused myself.

I guess we did play Cards Against Humanity but not sure I'd recommend that for your mom's set, though you never know!

Unless this particular group of friends gets together for cards or something like that, I'd follow PPs advice and just provide food, drinks and music. If the conversation slows down you could have some questions at the ready (Who's been married longest? What happened at your wedding that you didn't expect? Funniest thing that happened at a wedding you attended? etc.)

Enjoy the party!
  • This is a know your crowd thing.  If your mom and her friends like gathering over games, then go for it.  If your not sure then I would ask her/her FI if games would be appreciated or go untouched.  If she and her groupd aren't the game types then i would just nix the idea.

No matter what though, good food is a must ;)

• XrebeccaX said:
    If there had been games at my own shower or bachelorette I would have excused myself.

I guess we did play Cards Against Humanity but not sure I'd recommend that for your mom's set, though you never know!

Unless this particular group of friends gets together for cards or something like that, I'd follow PPs advice and just provide food, drinks and music. If the conversation slows down you could have some questions at the ready (Who's been married longest? What happened at your wedding that you didn't expect? Funniest thing that happened at a wedding you attended? etc.)

Enjoy the party!
    I love Cards Against Humanity!  

• I got married at 30 and I didn't want games, and my MOH didn't plan any.  She was awesome.

We ate fancy food and handcrafted cocktails.  It was perfect.  
  • I went to a bridal shower where this game was played but I don't see why it couldn't be done at a bachlorette party. Basically it was "Is it the groom or the bride" what happened is that a series of questions was asked about the bride & groom like "Who is the big hockey fan?" or "Who is the one that hates to cook?" and then the guests all recorded their answers and the person with the most correct answers got a price.

• scribe95 said:
    I like the "is it the groom or the bride" game above. I guess I am the only one on earth who finds games like this kind of fun. I also like the trivia one. And I do believe I have played pin the penis on the man
    During my unpacking of my new house this weekend, I FOUND Pin the Penis on the Man.  I must have bought it for a friend's bachelorette party.  It was actually called Pin the Junk on the Hunk.  It's still in the box with my ugly green St. Patrick's sweater and the pack of 8 plastic easter eggs I own.
  • My friend enlarged a bunch of photos of my fiance and I for our engagement party and asked guests to caption the photo. At the end of the night, we chose our favorite captions and had the winner write down their caption on a canvas board that the pictures were attached to.  Gave guests something to do that was cute- but didn't require everyone's attention all at once.  

My fiance's aunts all loved this and it was a big hit for all ages.

I would stick with activities that don't require everyone to stop what they are doing. 
  • Cards against Humanity is hilarious, and yes, I'm over fifty. There's a spin off game called cads about matrimony, that was specifically designed for a bachelorette party. It's pretty funny.
  • AliceBarakAliceBarak member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2014
    Congratulation to your mom!
    http://www.weddingtipsforall.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards