Wedding 911

Is this venue too sketchy? WWYD? *Update in comments*

rooz103rooz103 member
First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited November 2014 in Wedding 911
Earlier this week, I contacted our venue and was told that our old coordinator is no longer there. Okay, so it happens-- people quit or are fired, no big deal. 

Except apparently that guy either was abysmally misinformed about his job role or simple stopped caring because all the info they have on our reservation is an event with my name and the room and the time, and that's it. They don't have any details whatsoever: he left no notes; he didn't even have contact info or note about what the event was for (this is a restaurant that doesn't do very many weddings). 

So the new coordinator wanted to send me a new proposal and contract because "oh, it looks like we don't have a contract for you." WHAT??? So literally, on their end, all they have on us is an appointment on their Google Calendar saying "rooz103 event 12-4pm". 

I also got the charming news that a lot of little policies (like their cancellation policy and gratuity fee) had changed since I originally signed the contract, but the big one for me was that the price for food and drink somehow jumped 30-40%. As is in it costs more to have a lunch reception now than it did to have a dinner reception prior to the price increase. This is particularly upsetting because for the same amount of money, I could have the wedding in a wonderful venue that we loved, but had to cross off the list because it was too expensive. 

The new coordinator is nice and more on top of things, but there are still some yellow flags, plus the increased cost and the experience with the last coordinator has left a bad taste in my mouth. 

Should I just suck it up and keep everything as is, sign a new contract and cross my fingers? Should I be trying to negotiate something with the venue to bump things to a more reasonable cost? Unfortunately, the contract didn't lock in the prices, but I somehow feel that I shouldn't take a 30-40% increase lying down. Should I ditch the venue? They technically have a 50% cancellation fee, but then again they also technically don't have a contract (although I have a copy of it somewhere). 

The wedding is in two months, and things were going too smoothly, so I should have figured something would go wrong, but this is frustrating to the point that my brain just refuses. Advice? 

(FYI my advice to lurkers: document better than I did. This was the one thing where I thought I should let go of my need for documentation and details. I was wrong, so wrong). 

Re: Is this venue too sketchy? WWYD? *Update in comments*

• Get out your old contract and raise hell if you really want to stay with that place. if you don't want to keep them, get out your old contract and explain that if they don't want to honor the prices you'll be happy to find somewhere else.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Sketch city. Find a new venue for sure.
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    You already have a signed contract with them. Find it, read it, and then send them a copy highlighting all the prices and policies that you already agreed to. It doesn't matter if that original coordinator was still there or has left, they were acting as an agent of the place therefore they have to honour those prices/ agreements. Also retrieve all your emails and everything you have in writing which shows them what they agreed to.

Absolutely do not sign a new contract with them, that will essentially void your old one. 
  • Do not just accept what they are trying to hand you.  First, find and read your contract. If it has any price info or policy you like on it, they have to honor it. 

If you can't find your contract or it was too vague, don't show it to the venue.

Tell the venue what you were promised (use words like promised) and see if they are willing to negotiate at all.

I would call to check other places before cancelling with this place.  You need to make sure you can get something you like better before you cancel.
  • You already have a signed contract with them. Find it, read it, and then send them a copy highlighting all the prices and policies that you already agreed to. It doesn't matter if that original coordinator was still there or has left, they were acting as an agent of the place therefore they have to honour those prices/ agreements. Also retrieve all your emails and everything you have in writing which shows them what they agreed to.

Absolutely do not sign a new contract with them, that will essentially void your old one. 
    This.  Definitely this.

• Very convenient that they magically have no information and no contract at the same time as their pricing and policies have changed.  I would pull the contract you signed as well as every bit of correspondence that you had with their coordinator and fight for them to stick to what their employee promised.

I've had to fight this fight so many times, where employees of a company/establishment make promises that are outside their scope of authorization or just out of plain stupidity and then the company tries to back out of it saying the employee wasn't allowed to promise such things.  My argument is always "as someone you have hired to represent your business to prospective customers, it is your responsibility to train them properly and ensure that you take full responsibilities for their actions on your behalf"
  • Well thank you very much for the advice, ladies. 

I just got off the phone with the new venue coordinator. She was unwilling to budge and at most suggested that alternatives would be to switch to cheaper entrees (saving $1-2 per person which will somehow magically negate a price jump of 30%). 

The problem that I have was that to begin with, the original coordinator was kind of sketchy, and I ignored the major warning bells in my head and didn't get the exact prices listed. I have e-mails insinuating prices but she said that not only did the last coordinator keep track of much, he also saved everything to his desktop and that subsequently was fried. She was also really skeptical that I had faxed over the contract, which baffles me since apparently everyone else just sends their credit card information over unsecured e-mail without a problem. 

At this point, I'm just really unhappy with the venue and how unprofessional and sketchy this has all been so I'm starting to look around at other places. Unfortunately, my first choice venue is starting major renovations on my wedding weekend so that's out, but that particular coordinator was so helpful that she referred me to other venues that might work. Unless my current venue sends me a proposal that's better than what we talked about on the phone, I'm washing my hands of this. Wish me luck!
  • Nope.  Nope nope nope.  "Every one sends their info over email"???  Not only were the sketchy from the get go, but I wouldn't trust anyone who recommends this practice because really how secure are they keeping your other information then.  Nope.
  • I don't understand. If you faxed them a signed copy of the contract then don't you still have that copy? Give them another copy of it and tell them they need to honor it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards