Budget Weddings Forum

Flowers on a Budget

Hi Everyone!

I am getting married August 8,2015. We are trying not to break the bank with this wedding. When it comes to flowers what it the best way to go? I am just planning on using sunflowers. Thinking about going to the farmers market closer to the wedding, but that could be to risky. Need some advice! Thanks

Re: Flowers on a Budget

• I used Costco for our centerpieces but went to a local florist for bouquets and bouts. The Costco flowers were gorgeous and a great bargain. The biggest issue was taking are of them- we had to have them delivered the day before, kept them in water, trimmed ends, etc. It's not a lot of work but it took time. But I love spray roses and these looked great!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ohannabelleohannabelle member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Hi Everyone!

I am getting married August 8,2015. We are trying not to break the bank with this wedding. When it comes to flowers what it the best way to go? I am just planning on using sunflowers. Thinking about going to the farmers market closer to the wedding, but that could be to risky. Need some advice! Thanks
    Absolutely talk to local growers. It shouldn't be risky at all. Head to the farmers market well in advance, talk to the sellers, make arrangements for pick up. They'll know what their crop's going to be weeks beforehand. We have a few flower farms in the area, and I grabbed some really beautiful dahlias for my daughter's wedding at killer prices.
    (Here they are in my kitchen, waiting to be arranged. I loved them. I think they ended up aprx. 4 dollars a dozen.)
    image Edit for redundant redundancy that I said twice and also repeated. Again.
  • I'd also recommend a farmers market, you'll definitely find rock bottom prices. It may be helpful to get quotes from another source, perhaps a grocery store, just so you have something to compare prices with.
  • ohannabelleohannabelle member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Vendors aren't allowed to advertise on the boards. It's against the Terms of Service you agreed to when you signed up. 

• wandajune6wandajune6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
  • I got my bouquet, corsages and boutineers from a local grocery. A lot cheaper than a florist. I also go loose flowers to put in vases for the tables and to decorate the venue.
  • A few friends of mine did their own bouquets by using Trader Joe's.  They have great prices- the only issue is you can't order specific flowers beforehand- but around that time, sunflowers are in season so they will have them in stock.  

Using local farmers markets is a great idea and giving business to people who work very hard for what they do- so I totally support that.  You can go on youtube and find videos on how to make bouquets and they even have classes on this.  As long as you get the necessary supplies- you can do it all on your own! Just enlist some help from your bridesmaids/family the day before and be sure to find a cool place to store them (in water) overnight.  

This is what I will be doing! Good luck! :)
  • My friend used Costco and the flowers were sent a day earlier they originally said and because she was not there, they were sent back. She called them frantically the next day and they could not guarantee a Friday delivery and had to scramble at the last minute to buy very expensive bouquets from a local flower store. I'd buy local to avoid that sort of headache!
  • I agree with ohannabelle.It is a good idea to go to a local grower and make an arrangement with he/she as soon as possible so you will have enough time to make your bouquet!
  • Let me just say that I used Costco Flowers. I ordered them 3 days in advance of the wedding. I clipped the ends, arranged them into centerpieces. I had so many left over flowers that I made several bouquets and boutineres. The flowers lasted 8 days after the wedding. They were such a great value. I paid less that $200. ALL of my friends have had great experiences with Costco flowers. You must order the flowers a couple of days in advance to give them time to open up!
  • If you do a farmer's market, talk to the vendor a few weeks in advance so that they make sure to leave enough for you and hold them then for you the week of your wedding.
  • I used Sam's Club for my centerpieces. I ordered white hydrangeas, and they turned out beautifully. I ordered them to be delivered on Thursday for my Saturday wedding. 

If I had the option of a farmer's market with local flowers, I would have gone with that though. 
    Anniversary

• Scale.  Find an arrangement you like and get small versions inspired by the big one to save.

For example, love this?

Get this:
    or 

Or, consider making something part of the wedding the centerpiece, like a fruit and cheese board (swap the orchid for a mini sunflower or other flower in your wedding):

• glitch104glitch104 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2014
    I am planning on doing my own centerpieces/boquets/bouts/corsages I found great packages on bloomsbythebox.com website reasonable prices and they have tutorials on their website 

I am doing lavendar, wheat, and green filler for the bouquets. 

• Be ready to take on DIY projects and ask for help. Taking on DIY projects will enable you to save money tremendously. Examples of projects that you may choose to DIY are wedding invitations, tokens, bouquets, and decorations. Nevertheless, couples should be very realistic before deciding to DIY.
    http://www.weddingtipsforall.com/how-to-plan-a-wedding-on-a-tight-budget/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards