Chit Chat

I'm starting a cleanse tomorrow

You guys. This is going to be brutal. 

I started seeing a health coach/nutritionist about a month ago. We meet once a week for 6 months. I LOVE her and her program so far. Generally, she is not at all about cutting things out of your diet permanently and vastly restricting things and "eating perfectly". But in order to figure out some allergy issues and detox and kick some bad habits, I am choosing to do this 3 week dietary cleanse under her supervision because I know that I will benefit from it, but damn it's going to be hard.

Has anyone done one? Any advice to keep me from killing someone because I won't be eating any cheese, corn, gluten, processed food, fried food, alcohol, refined sugar or sweeteners, caffeine or chocolate for three weeks? And the first two days are fruit + veg only. Gahhhhh.

Re: I'm starting a cleanse tomorrow

• Good luck chica! I have done cleanses before. I was considering doing One this month, myself. I too had to cut out everything you stated above. Personally, I was very cranky and had headaches for the first 3-4 days ( I used to drink coffee 3-4 times a day), and I felt lethargic in that time. After that though, I had tons of energy, and just felt great. I also lost close to 10 pounds I. Those 2 weeks (that was the shortest cleanse I felt would be effective and I wouldn't go through tequila withdrawal LOl) really gave me a jump start to my wieghtoss routine. And I didn't starve, I just are super clean, healthy stuff. It's rough, but it is do-able. I like to do it at least once a year :) good luck!!!!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Godspeed. 
  • Good luck! I have to admit, I read everything you are cutting out and thought "Well that just sounds impossible!"

• Except for the coffee and alcohol, I follow a similar diet most of the time. Let me know if you need any recipe advice!
  • kat1114 said:
    Except for the coffee and alcohol, I follow a similar diet most of the time. Let me know if you need any recipe advice!
    YES PLEASE! 

All the recipes. 

I am going to try to figure out some kind of cauliflower crust pizza-ish thing because that will feel like "normal" food. I can have olive oil, cauliflower, tomato, salt, pepper, veggies, etc. I just need to be creative. And once I hit day 7 I can have chicken and fish. I, basically need to make it through one week before it sounds still hard but do-able. 

I am a reasonably decent cook and would LOVE your ideas @kat1114 TIA!
  • pinkcow13 said:
    Good luck chica! I have done cleanses before. I was considering doing One this month, myself. I too had to cut out everything you stated above. Personally, I was very cranky and had headaches for the first 3-4 days ( I used to drink coffee 3-4 times a day), and I felt lethargic in that time. After that though, I had tons of energy, and just felt great. I also lost close to 10 pounds I. Those 2 weeks (that was the shortest cleanse I felt would be effective and I wouldn't go through tequila withdrawal LOl) really gave me a jump start to my wieghtoss routine. And I didn't starve, I just are super clean, healthy stuff. It's rough, but it is do-able. I like to do it at least once a year :) good luck!!!!
    Thanks! I never have before. I'm super impressed. My nutritionist said the first three days will likely be very hard and I should not plan to do any vigorous exercise or have super demanding work days. She also told me that if I truly NEED protein from meat or nuts or whatever to trust my body and have a small amount. But I only intend to do that if I feel like I'm really freaking suffering and not just a cranky, whiny asshole. 
  • lc07 said:
    kat1114 said:
    Except for the coffee and alcohol, I follow a similar diet most of the time. Let me know if you need any recipe advice!
    YES PLEASE! 

All the recipes. 

I am going to try to figure out some kind of cauliflower crust pizza-ish thing because that will feel like "normal" food. I can have olive oil, cauliflower, tomato, salt, pepper, veggies, etc. I just need to be creative. And once I hit day 7 I can have chicken and fish. I, basically need to make it through one week before it sounds still hard but do-able. 

This is my favorite cauliflower pizza crust recipe: http://www.theironyou.com/2013/02/paleo-pizza-marinara.htmlI use cheese, but you could definitely make it with out.

I also really love this cauliflower-fried rice: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/asian-cauliflower-fried-rice-from-nom-nom-pal.htmlIt does have bacon, but you could omit it.

This zucchini noodle pad thai is delicious! http://www.health-bent.com/sides/paleo-pad-thai

I really like this Autumn Soup and it freezes well: http://myheartbeets.com/autumn-soup/

This salad is really good too. It has meat, but you can easily do it without: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/96065403848/paleo-lunchboxes-2014-part-6
  • kat1114 said:
    lc07 said:
    kat1114 said:
    YES PLEASE! 

All the recipes. 

This is my favorite cauliflower pizza crust recipe: http://www.theironyou.com/2013/02/paleo-pizza-marinara.htmlI use cheese, but you could definitely make it with out.

I also really love this cauliflower-fried rice: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/asian-cauliflower-fried-rice-from-nom-nom-pal.htmlIt does have bacon, but you could omit it.

This zucchini noodle pad thai is delicious! http://www.health-bent.com/sides/paleo-pad-thai

I really like this Autumn Soup and it freezes well: http://myheartbeets.com/autumn-soup/

This salad is really good too. It has meat, but you can easily do it without: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/96065403848/paleo-lunchboxes-2014-part-6
    THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!

I am taking tomorrow off from work and I am going to look through all of these. I really appreciate your help!!!
  • I wish I had the self-control to stick out one of these cleanses. 
    Given, I tried one once some years ago - I think it was the Master Cleanse, that one where you drink this crazy lemonade concoction and basically nothing else, and after 2 or 3 days of that I broke out in hives and called it quits. 

I think its great though that you are doing one with a trained nutrionist - keep us updated on your progress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh lawdie, no chocolate and cheese....these two would just kill me. I can do without the alcohol and fried stuff and gluten free things cause we eat like that all the time but damn girl....the cheese and the chocolate. Nope nope nope. I salute you however and wish you luck and success :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    All of that is good for a cleanse except gluten. Can you tell me what gluten is?

It's the protein that keeps bread stuck together, in a nutshell. It is not bad for you. Staying away from processed breads is a good idea. Staying away from gluten is really stupid because it isn't the part of the bread that makes you fat and unhealthy.

Please don't stay away from gluten because it's "bad". People who do that ruin it for those who actually have an allergy to it. Places don't take cross contamination seriously because of the trend dieters. Prices for fucking rice flour are raised because companies can make a big buck off it. It's also kind of offensive, because FI almost died when he was 15 because of his diseases, because we couldn't figure out what to feed him. I get really butt hurt about people who go on and off gluten willy nilly.

Other than that, I think your cutting back on specific foods sounds good. Your liver does your detox for you, though. That's the entire reason for it's existance. 

I almost ripped right into you about the gluten thing, because it gets me real fired up, but I like you so I'm being super nice. Now I will leave this thread forever before my blood pressure gets raised and I get bad opinions of all who disagree with my correctness.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• H will do a Whole30 diet about once a year and it's brutal but doable. Granted, he's allowed to have meat the whole time but we try to do meatless meals so he's not eating just chicken and sweet potatoes every day. We love this site - http://www.thefoodee.com/tag/whole30/ - for finding recipe idea. Some are Whole30 approved (so no sugar, dairy, processed ingrediants, etc), and some are paleo, so they're a little less restrictive. And a lot can be modified as well.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    larrygaga said:
    All of that is good for a cleanse except gluten. Can you tell me what gluten is?

It's the protein that keeps bread stuck together, in a nutshell. It is not bad for you. Staying away from processed breads is a good idea. Staying away from gluten is really stupid because it isn't the part of the bread that makes you fat and unhealthy.

Please don't stay away from gluten because it's "bad". People who do that ruin it for those who actually have an allergy to it. Places don't take cross contamination seriously because of the trend dieters. Prices for fucking rice flour are raised because companies can make a big buck off it. It's also kind of offensive, because FI almost died when he was 15 because of his diseases, because we couldn't figure out what to feed him. I get really butt hurt about people who go on and off gluten willy nilly.

Other than that, I think your cutting back on specific foods sounds good. Your liver does your detox for you, though. That's the entire reason for it's existance. 

I almost ripped right into you about the gluten thing, because it gets me real fired up, but I like you so I'm being super nice. Now I will leave this thread forever before my blood pressure gets raised and I get bad opinions of all who disagree with my correctness.
    @larrygaga , I am medically diagnosed as allergic to gluten by my doctor. They suspect I have other allergies and food sensitivities as well that they don't test for and suggested I see a nutritionist and go on an elimination diet like this. I am not doing it willy-nilly or for weight loss. 

Edited: to fix tag.
  • I have done several "cleanses" over the years.  

The first one I tried being a vegetarian.  It didn't work out for me very well. I just don't feel the same without red meat.  Even with eating the correct complex vegetarian proteins, I was anemic.  I tried it for six months and was miserable.  Turns out I just need red meat.  

With the second, I abstained from any white sugar, white flour, processed foods or dairy (with the exception of yogurt).  I was also swimming an hour a day.  I did this for three months and felt fantastic.  I was in shape, my skin was clear, I had a little more energy and I felt really healthy.  By the end of it junk food made me nauseous.  

I did a third one a few months ago under supervision of my doctor.  It was a 10 day cleanse through metagenics that restricts your diet (no red meat, no wheat, no dairy, no eggs, no alcohol, no sugar-not including some kinds of fruit) for ten days.  So basically it was really similar to the elimination diet you're doing now.  Days 1-4 were more lax, with days 5-7 being the most intense, and then the last two days you reintroduce a few foods to your diet to see how you handle them.  I also gave up dairy and eggs since I had a food allergy test done and apparently I'm allergic (boo!).  I basically just kept the diet going for a month and a half after the cleanse was done, because a lot of foods that have that stuff I shouldn't really be eating anyways. 

Can you have fish?  Baked  or pan seared salmon with a squeeze of lemon, a bit of lemon pepper, garlic and onion powder and a dash of salt is pretty good.  Serve with brown rice and broccoli (or if you're like me and you hate broccoli, serve with sauteed yellow squash, zucchini, and carrots).

I also have a gluten free pizza recipe if you would like it.  It's made with tapioca flour, white rice flour and brown rice flour.  I make it with dairy free Daiya "cheese" so it's dairy, gluten and egg free. I've heard good things about the cauliflower recipes too. 

Honestly, three weeks is hard.  The first month and a half of a lifestyle change is hard, and then after that you stop craving the crap and you get used to eating better.    I'm trying to get back to eating more like that.  Good job and good luck!  

• Well shit girl I'm sorry to hear that! I am the gluten free trend diet police, just doing my job ma'am. I have a ton of really good recipes I'll send you that are only gf for when you get off the cleanse!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lc07 said:
    You guys. This is going to be brutal. 

I started seeing a health coach/nutritionist about a month ago. We meet once a week for 6 months. I LOVE her and her program so far. Generally, she is not at all about cutting things out of your diet permanently and vastly restricting things and "eating perfectly". But in order to figure out some allergy issues and detox and kick some bad habits, I am choosing to do this 3 week dietary cleanse under her supervision because I know that I will benefit from it, but damn it's going to be hard.

Has anyone done one? Any advice to keep me from killing someone because I won't be eating any cheese, corn, gluten, processed food, fried food, alcohol, refined sugar or sweeteners, caffeine or chocolate for three weeks? And the first two days are fruit + veg only. Gahhhhh.

I had to do something similar for 30 days due to health reasons. It was fucking hard! Just keep reminding yourself: IT WILL END eventually
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards