Just Engaged and Proposals

The most terrifying thing I've ever been through

On September 12th my fiancé died. He went into cardiac arrest but luckily he was at his friends house. His friend started CPR and called the paramedics and they brought him back. He was rushed to the hospital and was placed in a medically induced coma. He lives in San Diego and I live in Phoenix. As soon as I heard the news I was literally on the next plane. I ran through the airport. Didn't even pack a bag just grabbed my purse. My daughter was with my mom and sister and my son was with his dad. It was the longest scariest 45 min plane ride.

I got to the hospital and his parents told me to leave. That I wasn't needed there. They even told the nurses not to let me see him. They don't like me but I never thought that they'd do this to me in such a critical situation. They ended up changing their minds after my fiancées brother yelled at them.

So I was in the ICU with him for 17 days. I lost my job because I was gone for so long. The doctors had no prognosis. They had no idea what was going to happen. If he would wake up if he would have any brain activity, if he would need rehab, if he would be a vegetable. We had to talk a lot possibly taking him off life support. It was so damn scary. But I had faith that he would be ok. I spent hours with him. Slept in his room every night. Prayed for him. Used essential oils on him. Talked to him. Played music for him.

And one day...3 weeks later he woke up and was fully aware again. His first thoughts were of me. By this point I had returned to Phoenix. He texted me and I was like what the heck?! And we have been talking ever since. He was discharged from the hospital 2 weeks ago and I was there for that. The night before we both slept in his hospital bed holding hands. It was sweet. He walked out of there leaving all the docs and nurses in shock. He is a miracle. He's back to his normal self. There are some things he doesn't remember but if you jog his memory he remembers. He can do everything for himself.

He has an internal defribulator now. Still on dialysis till he gets a new kidney. He's had health problems since he was 18. He's the strongest person I know and I'm honored to be his fiancé. I'm so glad he's alive and well and we will get to have a beautiful life together. His family is fighting our decision to be together but we don't care. Theyve made up lies about me and said really hurtful things. They can deal with it. Life is short! Be happy and love hard!

I started looking for jobs last Friday and I got hired yesterday and I start on Monday! He will be moving to Phoenix soon :) looking forward to our new life together.

Thx for reading!

Re: The most terrifying thing I've ever been through

• Thank goodness he's okay!
  • Yeah! I'm glad too!!
  • Glad he is ok, and best wishes on your life together!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I am glad he is okay!  That is a scary thing.  My best friend died while she was engaged, and I can't imagine how her fiancee felt... Treasure every moment you have with him!
  •  I can't imagine what you went through!  Sooooooooo scary!  Happy for you both :)

Congrats and best wishes!

Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I understand how tough that must have been with his family.  My fiances family feels about the same about me and I've even told him often how much it scares me that if anything were to happen I would have no rights.  He swears his family wouldn't do that in that situation but I know better.  I will never understand why as a parent your first concern wouldn't just be that your child is with a good human being who treats them well and makes them happy.  Past that, is it really worth alienating your child and their partner simply because that person isn't quite what you have in mind?

I'm glad your fiance is ok and you guys are able to rise above his families problems.  It's their issue, not yours.
  • Wow! I'm so glad he's okay.
  • So Happy he's ok... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards