Chit Chat

Wedding "themes"

So people keep asking me what my wedding "theme" is.  I keep responding "our theme is getting married?"  

When I think of "themes" I think back to my Bat Mitzvah (Which for the record was the Carly Awards and hilarious.)  Or like kids birthday parties and being race car or magic (although magic would be awesome.)  

Anyone care to enlighten me as to wedding themes and what they are? 

Re: Wedding "themes"

• Haha. it's definitely a weird word.

But, I think they might ask how are you decorating. Using rustic materials such as burlap and lace? Sitting on wood stumps or hay bales? Or are you decorating refined elegance with crystals and diamonds?

I had a "theme", sorry not sorry. It was chic summer elegance. whatever. it made all my wedding planning pages happy.

image   image   image

• I hate themes for a wedding. I'm with you - themes are for kid's birthday parties. 
  • Yes. They're stupid.

Haha I thought they were but was trying to give the benefit of the doubt that maybe I was missing something.

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    Uh, yeah, no. I cannot get on the theme train. I don't understand why a color scheme isn't enough. 

ETA: @Sugargirl1019 Uh, not trying to be rude, but what does "chic summer elegance" even mean? 
  • So people keep asking me what my wedding "theme" is.  I keep responding "our theme is getting married?"  

When I think of "themes" I think back to my Bat Mitzvah (Which for the record was the Carly Awards and hilarious.)  Or like kids birthday parties and being race car or magic (although magic would be awesome.)  

Anyone care to enlighten me as to wedding themes and what they are? 
    I had the same response. I also didn't have "colors." 

I think by theme people mean rustic, vintage, modern, etc. Oh my florist did come up with a theme for mine. Haha. "Vintage elegant." I liked the theme "wedding" more though. 
    Anniversary

• I would put a color scheme under the theme train. I'd just respond with what colors I'm using.

image   image   image

• I got asked that a lot, too.  I also told people that our theme was "getting married".  

I know a bride who, when asked her colors, launched into a speech about her "vision of rustic vintage".  I was like "your color is light blue, dude."
  • beethery said:
    This is the theme I'm going for:

(actually my theme is ballin' on a budget and getting good sales on shit... that's more of an over-arching life theme though)
    hahaha I just died.  This was perfect

• Yeah I think my theme is "it's gonna be pretty and we're gonna get married and then we are going to party and it'll be awesome."

That's kinda a mouthful though.

• I didn't have a theme, but we did incorporate lace in a lot of our elements. My dress was all lace, bridesmaids had lace on their dresses, cake had a lace design. That was about it, though. When I got this question, I would just tell people "We don't really have a theme. Our colors are purple and gray, though".
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My theme is- we're giving you awesome food, lots of booze to drink, and fun music to dance to. The leftover funds bought these cheap decorations. BAM! 

• God dammit I forgot I had this:

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• edited November 2014

Haha. it's definitely a weird word.

But, I think they might ask how are you decorating. Using rustic materials such as burlap and lace? Sitting on wood stumps or hay bales? Or are you decorating refined elegance with crystals and diamonds?

I had a "theme", sorry not sorry. It was chic summer elegance. whatever. it made all my wedding planning pages happy.

What does that even mean?  I'm just curious as to what you actually did, lol!

When people list their themes I often think this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuQNt45Cjkc

I think a PP nailed it when she said people confuse motif and theme.  Our "theme" was kind of like Beethery's but with a Victorian flair so as not to clash with our reception venue ;-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    I've never quite understood it either. They seem unnecessary to me, but to each their own I guess. 

An old HS friend had a "Romeo and Juliet" theme. I get that the intention was for an Italian Medieval feeling, but they obviously never bothered reading the end of the play. 
    The whole play is squicky. An older boy, who is on the rebound (from Rosaline),  stalks an young girl. They meet and get married in 24 hours. And then they die. Not romantic at all. I just really hate this play. This and the Great Gatsby should not be  NOT wedding themes.
  • arrippa said:
    I've never quite understood it either. They seem unnecessary to me, but to each their own I guess. 

An old HS friend had a "Romeo and Juliet" theme. I get that the intention was for an Italian Medieval feeling, but they obviously never bothered reading the end of the play. 
    The whole play is squicky. An older boy, who is on the rebound (from Rosaline),  stalks an young girl. They meet and get married in 24 hours. And then they die. Not romantic at all. I just really hate this play. This and the Great Gatsby should not be  NOT wedding themes.
    THANK YOU. Ugh. I get SO irritated by people talking about how romaaaaaantic either of these are.
  • I guess our "theme" was greens and navy book-lovers with some birds thrown in, and a subtle nod at vintage, like "hey, vintage, we see you there, you're cool, come on in if you want"? I dunno. It was really just shit we liked, that came in on/under budget.

I think themes really are for birthday parties, charity casual days at work, even year-end functions, but so very NOT for weddings. But you can't write other people's scripts for them.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • esstee33 said:
    arrippa said:

THANK YOU. Ugh. I get SO irritated by people talking about how romaaaaaantic either of these are.
    Romeo and Juliet doesn't actually bother me, and I can see how it's a tragic romance with a deeper social message behind it- one of stop your stupid family blood feuds.

You have to take it in the context of the times it was written.  12 and 15 year old girls married 20+ year old men.  It's just the way it was.  We don't do that shit now, but we live longer, women are not typically property and breeding factories any more in developed countries, and we don't necessarily give a fuck about lines of inheritance any more.  Different times.

When ppl say they are having a Gatsby themed wedding they really mean a 1920's themed wedding.  They like the '20s look.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I've never quite understood it either. They seem unnecessary to me, but to each their own I guess. 

I don't know why motherfuckers assign tragedy themes to their shit. Call it medieval Italian, hell, call it TUSCAN and call it a god damn day. Shit makes me CACKLE though!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• esstee33 said:
    arrippa said:

We can throw these in with the Hunger Games themed weddings going around.  

• levioosa said:
    esstee33 said:
    arrippa said:

Say what?
  • edited November 2014
    arrippa said:
    levioosa said:
    esstee33 said:
    arrippa said:

Say what?
    Yes, huh?!

Do the guest tables have to fight to the death for the reception food?

• arrippa said:
    levioosa said:
    esstee33 said:
    arrippa said:

Say what?
    Yes, huh?!

Anniversary

• levioosa said:
    esstee33 said:
    arrippa said:

So the ringbearer and flower girl try to kill each other to make it to the reception?
  • arrippa said:
    levioosa said:
    esstee33 said:
    arrippa said:

Say what?
    Yes, huh?!

I would go to that wedding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards