Chit Chat

Wedding "themes"

Re: Wedding "themes"

• penguin44 said:
    arrippa said:
    levioosa said:
    esstee33 said:
    arrippa said:
    I've never quite understood it either. They seem unnecessary to me, but to each their own I guess. 

An old HS friend had a "Romeo and Juliet" theme. I get that the intention was for an Italian Medieval feeling, but they obviously never bothered reading the end of the play. 
    The whole play is squicky. An older boy, who is on the rebound (from Rosaline),  stalks an young girl. They meet and get married in 24 hours. And then they die. Not romantic at all. I just really hate this play. This and the Great Gatsby should not be  NOT wedding themes.
    THANK YOU. Ugh. I get SO irritated by people talking about how romaaaaaantic either of these are.
    We can throw these in with the Hunger Games themed weddings going around.  
    Say what?
    Yes, huh?!

Do the guest tables have to fight to the death for the reception food?
    That is kinda pretty though.  Was it actually a real wedding, or are those from a staged photoshoot for PR for a photog?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• chibiyui said:
    Most people use the word "theme" when they actually mean the word "motif".

My weddings motif was "steampunk chic" with elements of nerdery. But there were no costumes to be had. 

I also have nothing against people who do go all out with an actual theme, not my bag, but it's also not my wedding.
    This.  Ours was "winter" - blues and silvers with some snowflake elements in our decor.  And I agree that people are probably just interested in how you might be decorating and the colors you might be using.  Just so, you know, they can send you coupons for burlap and glitter.
    Anniversary

• @prettygirllost I'm not sure. I pulled it off of pinterest. It looks like people have a lot of hunger games inspiration boards. 

I agree with beeth though. Laughing at the berries. There were a lot of pictures with weapons involved. Just doesn't seem like something for a wedding...

Anniversary

• esstee33 said:
    arrippa said:
    I've never quite understood it either. They seem unnecessary to me, but to each their own I guess. 

An old HS friend had a "Romeo and Juliet" theme. I get that the intention was for an Italian Medieval feeling, but they obviously never bothered reading the end of the play. 
    The whole play is squicky. An older boy, who is on the rebound (from Rosaline),  stalks an young girl. They meet and get married in 24 hours. And then they die. Not romantic at all. I just really hate this play. This and the Great Gatsby should not be  NOT wedding themes.
    THANK YOU. Ugh. I get SO irritated by people talking about how romaaaaaantic either of these are.
    Romeo and Juliet doesn't actually bother me, and I can see how it's a tragic romance with a deeper social message behind it- one of stop your stupid family blood feuds.

You have to take it in the context of the times it was written.  12 and 15 year old girls married 20+ year old men.  It's just the way it was.  We don't do that shit now, but we live longer, women are not typically property and breeding factories any more in developed countries, and we don't necessarily give a fuck about lines of inheritance any more.  Different times.

When ppl say they are having a Gatsby themed wedding they really mean a 1920's themed wedding.  They like the '20s look.
    Oh, I understand the context. I have a degree in English and took classes specifically dedicated to Shakespeare. It's still this: 

(Although I'm not sure where the person who created this got that Romeo was 17, because I'm relatively sure it was never specified.) 
  • levioosa said:
    esstee33 said:
    arrippa said:

We can throw these in with the Hunger Games themed weddings going around.  
    So the ringbearer and flower girl try to kill each other to make it to the reception?
    Naw, it's just for entertainment.  They were never supposed to go to the reception in the first place.  I heard it gets pretty intense with the bouquet toss though.    

• esstee33 said:
    esstee33 said:
    arrippa said:

Romeo and Juliet doesn't actually bother me, and I can see how it's a tragic romance with a deeper social message behind it- one of stop your stupid family blood feuds.

You have to take it in the context of the times it was written.  12 and 15 year old girls married 20+ year old men.  It's just the way it was.  We don't do that shit now, but we live longer, women are not typically property and breeding factories any more in developed countries, and we don't necessarily give a fuck about lines of inheritance any more.  Different times.

When ppl say they are having a Gatsby themed wedding they really mean a 1920's themed wedding.  They like the '20s look.
    Oh, I understand the context. I have a degree in English and took classes specifically dedicated to Shakespeare. It's still this: 

(Although I'm not sure where the person who created this got that Romeo was 17, because I'm relatively sure it was never specified.) 
    Well good on you!  I have always liked Shakespeare.

Yes, the feud between the families caused a lot of undue death, which I always thought was the point of the story- that the feuding was a stupid waste of energy and life.  But since you have the degree you can correct me if I'm wrong.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Can we please make up a fake styled shoot as a horribly offensive parody and try to get it to take off on Pinterest as a real theme? Like, Dark Ages Child Betrothal theme? Or a Crazy In Love theme with a straight-jacket inspired wedding dress and favors that look like pills? 
    Conan the Barbarian.

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Can we please make up a fake styled shoot as a horribly offensive parody and try to get it to take off on Pinterest as a real theme? Like, Dark Ages Child Betrothal theme? Or a Crazy In Love theme with a straight-jacket inspired wedding dress and favors that look like pills? 
    Conan the Barbarian.
    Looks like somebody is already planning a Conan the Barbarian wedding so we can steal their pins (because you can't plan a wedding without Pinterest, amirite?).
  • @PrettyGirlLost - As with any literature, it's pretty hard to pinpoint one "point of the story," because it would vary depending on which lens you're analyzing it through -- a feminist interpretation of the text would undoubtedly come up with a different point to the story than would another interpretation. It's not just the families' feuding that causes such a division, though. Juliet was also promised to someone else already and going against her father's will in order to pursue a relationship with Romeo. 

But, yeah, there's a pretty strong "look how dumb this shit is," I think. Baz Luhrmann really took off with that in the movie adaptation, which reads more like a cautionary tale than a love story. 
  • doeydo said:
    Can we please make up a fake styled shoot as a horribly offensive parody and try to get it to take off on Pinterest as a real theme? Like, Dark Ages Child Betrothal theme? Or a Crazy In Love theme with a straight-jacket inspired wedding dress and favors that look like pills? 
    Conan the Barbarian.
    Looks like somebody is already planning a Conan the Barbarian wedding so we can steal their pins (because you can't plan a wedding without Pinterest, amirite?).
    Oh gawd, a Moulin Rouge themed wedding is a thing!

• esstee33 said:
    @PrettyGirlLost - As with any literature, it's pretty hard to pinpoint one "point of the story," because it would vary depending on which lens you're analyzing it through -- a feminist interpretation of the text would undoubtedly come up with a different point to the story than would another interpretation. It's not just the families' feuding that causes such a division, though. Juliet was also promised to someone else already and going against her father's will in order to pursue a relationship with Romeo. 

But, yeah, there's a pretty strong "look how dumb this shit is," I think. Baz Luhrmann really took off with that in the movie adaptation, which reads more like a cautionary tale than a love story. 
    Baz Luhrmann can make a PRETTY ASS MOVIE though. I was reaaaalllly looking to steal a lot of the party aesthetic from that first one in the Gatsby movie. Shit was gaaaaawjus.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    esstee33 said:
    @PrettyGirlLost - As with any literature, it's pretty hard to pinpoint one "point of the story," because it would vary depending on which lens you're analyzing it through -- a feminist interpretation of the text would undoubtedly come up with a different point to the story than would another interpretation. It's not just the families' feuding that causes such a division, though. Juliet was also promised to someone else already and going against her father's will in order to pursue a relationship with Romeo. 

Baz Luhrmann can make a PRETTY ASS MOVIE though. I was reaaaalllly looking to steal a lot of the party aesthetic from that first one in the Gatsby movie. Shit was gaaaaawjus.
    True facts. SO PRETTY.
  • Man, I wish I was more creative with my wedding "theme". We just got drunk with our friends and family. So... I guess our theme was BOOZE?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I think it depends on your decor choice? I didn't really have a theme until someone pointed out to me that we're doing a spring garden-y kind of thing so now we've been saying we have an indoor garden theme but really it's just because we wanted a lot of greenery and our wedding to feel like spring.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Remember in Reality Bites when they have a parody of House of Style, and the reporter is in South Central LA? I always think of that scene when these brides come on here talking about their themes that they know nothing about. 

• Kind of late to the party but our "theme" is just "us." The tables are gonna be named after places we've gone on vacation together, there's a hot air balloon on our STD and invitation cuz I have a hot air balloon tattoo, I've ridden in one, I'm obsessed with them, and it kind of goes along with the whole theme of our relationship of "adventures forever." (We love to travel and try new things and see the sights). We're not really doing a ton of decorations cuz the venue is already beautiful on its own. It's pretty much... come, have fun, drink, eat, love you guys for coming! 
    See, that's how you do it. 

I had wine bottle centerpieces. Because we like to drink wine. And let me tell you, it was extremely hard to drink 30 bottles of wine for this vision. 
    Just kidding. I actually had too many bottles, and ended up not using all the ones I had saved. 
  • Kind of late to the party but our "theme" is just "us." The tables are gonna be named after places we've gone on vacation together, there's a hot air balloon on our STD and invitation cuz I have a hot air balloon tattoo, I've ridden in one, I'm obsessed with them, and it kind of goes along with the whole theme of our relationship of "adventures forever." (We love to travel and try new things and see the sights). We're not really doing a ton of decorations cuz the venue is already beautiful on its own. It's pretty much... come, have fun, drink, eat, love you guys for coming! 

I had wine bottle centerpieces. Because we like to drink wine. And let me tell you, it was extremely hard to drink 30 bottles of wine for this vision
    Just kidding. I actually had too many bottles, and ended up not using all the ones I had saved. 
    I would have gladly helped you with that. In fact, I think I'll go ahead and help anyway ;) 

I had wine bottle centerpieces. Because we like to drink wine. And let me tell you, it was extremely hard to drink 30 bottles of wine for this vision. 
    Hahahahaha. One of my best friends is having a wine-themed shower next month, and over the summer she was like "Do you drink much wine? Do you think you could save me 5 bottles by September?" 

Oh, girl. You have no idea. 
  • esstee33 said:
    Kind of late to the party but our "theme" is just "us." The tables are gonna be named after places we've gone on vacation together, there's a hot air balloon on our STD and invitation cuz I have a hot air balloon tattoo, I've ridden in one, I'm obsessed with them, and it kind of goes along with the whole theme of our relationship of "adventures forever." (We love to travel and try new things and see the sights). We're not really doing a ton of decorations cuz the venue is already beautiful on its own. It's pretty much... come, have fun, drink, eat, love you guys for coming! 

Hahahahaha. One of my best friends is having a wine-themed shower next month, and over the summer she was like "Do you drink much wine? Do you think you could save me 5 bottles by September?" 

Hahaha! 5 bottles is like a week. 

I incorporated corks into our centerpieces too, and I had all my friends saving them for me. They're a bunch of damn winos too! I have a gazillion corks left over. 
  • I got so many weird looks from people who asked what my theme was.  I replied "Getting married??"  I guess we technically had a tropical thing going on, since we got married in Hawaii and I used tropical colours for the invites (bright orange, pink and purple.  Or maybe blue.  I think there was a blue in there.  I don't even remember).  I don't see the point of themes

• @ClimbingBrideNY It actually took me a little longer than I anticipated -- I had been drinking mostly white wine over the summer, and she wanted the dark green bottles, so I had to switch to red for this request. I think she's spray-painting the bottles anyway, so I'm not sure why she couldn't use the clear glass ones. 
  • esstee33 said:
    Kind of late to the party but our "theme" is just "us." The tables are gonna be named after places we've gone on vacation together, there's a hot air balloon on our STD and invitation cuz I have a hot air balloon tattoo, I've ridden in one, I'm obsessed with them, and it kind of goes along with the whole theme of our relationship of "adventures forever." (We love to travel and try new things and see the sights). We're not really doing a ton of decorations cuz the venue is already beautiful on its own. It's pretty much... come, have fun, drink, eat, love you guys for coming! 

Have you been hittin' the wine already today my dear?

• esstee33 said:

Have you been hittin' the wine already today my dear?
    Nah... She asked me in August-ish to save bottles for her, so she'd have them by the end of September and she had time to DIY them before her shower in December. 

• esstee33 said:
    @ClimbingBrideNY It actually took me a little longer than I anticipated -- I had been drinking mostly white wine over the summer, and she wanted the dark green bottles, so I had to switch to red for this request. I think she's spray-painting the bottles anyway, so I'm not sure why she couldn't use the clear glass ones. 
    I spray painted them too, and I had used a few white wine bottles. They all looked the same. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards