DIY Wedding Forum

Completely lost on my DIY wedding

We are trying to keep our wedding very cheap by doing everything ourselves. We aren't sure how to find someone to officiate our wedding. 

Re: Completely lost on my DIY wedding

• Would you consider asking a friend to become ordained and officiate? Do you belong to a house of worship?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Where do you live? In Pennsylvania and Colorado, you don't need an officiant. 
  • We had a friend marry us. He's an ordained minister with the Universal Life Church. Maybe you can look in to something like that?
  • We found our officiant by searching TK's vendor page. 

We typed in our city and got a ton of hits. We went through the highest rated ones, picked out our top 2, called them, made a decision, and signed a contract. It took about an hour total.
    *********************************************************************************

• Google didn't give me any good results, but I'm checking out tumbtack. We don't belong to a place of worship and our only friend that we're for sure will attend the wedding said they would rather not be the officiate. I've only been to weddings that were held inside a church, so trying to do everything myself seems really novel. I also don't know how to handle food. We plan on have around 10 people, but I don't know how feasible it would be to cook that much food.
  • Google didn't give me any good results, but I'm checking out tumbtack. We don't belong to a place of worship and our only friend that we're for sure will attend the wedding said they would rather not be the officiate. I've only been to weddings that were held inside a church, so trying to do everything myself seems really novel. I also don't know how to handle food. We plan on have around 10 people, but I don't know how feasible it would be to cook that much food.

I would just take people out to a restaurant. That's a pretty easy one stop shop plus you don't really need decor if you do it that way. Many restaurants have private rooms if you're looking for something more intimate. Try googling "private dining [your town]".
    *********************************************************************************

• I lovd Thumbtack! We found our DJ, photographer and MUA there. I would have hired the officiant we found there had my aunt not offered to marry us- she got online ordained to marry my uncles a few months before our wedding.

I'll also add that we found the greatest plumber ever on Thumbtack. Seriously- this man worked miracles. We've referred him to anyone who will listen.

Take everyone to a restaurant. It's the easiest option and likely cheaper than many other option. It's your wedding: you don't want to be doing this yourself.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • does anyone know of a similar service to thumbtack in Toronto, Ontario, Canada?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You could do a pot-luck for the food.  With only ten people, that might work out perfectly.  I'm sure your guests would love to contribute to your wedding day. 
  • What do you mean by "We are trying to keep everything cheap"?  How much money are we talking about?
    DIY can actually cost more than some budget wedding packages.  The worst wedding I ever saw was completely DIY, except for the officiant.  They tried to do too much with too little.  It was a mess!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You could do a pot-luck for the food.  With only ten people, that might work out perfectly.  I'm sure your guests would love to contribute to your wedding day. 
    No.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    you lose the feeling of the wedding. my cousin did this. wore browns jerseys with the date on them, it was like going to family picnic not a wedding at all.  it was a complete joke. i told my fi that we will not do something like that for our wedding. but it all depends on what you want.
  • jlemmo89 said:
    You could do a pot-luck for the food.  With only ten people, that might work out perfectly.  I'm sure your guests would love to contribute to your wedding day. 
    you lose the feeling of the wedding. my cousin did this. wore browns jerseys with the date on them, it was like going to family picnic not a wedding at all.  it was a complete joke. i told my fi that we will not do something like that for our wedding. but it all depends on what you want.
    Not to mention it being incredibly rude to make your guests provide their own food at a party you're hosting FOR THEM. 
  • I also disagree with the idea of a pot-luck. Pot-luck is ok if it is a reunion or partying at a friend's house.

I also suggest that you hire a wedding planner, DIY wedding in the end will be more pricey. wedding planner will ask for your budget and will look for ways for the dream wedding you like on the range of your budget.
    DIY isn't always more expensive. I made almost everything for my first wedding and spent a fraction of what I would've otherwise. I ended up spending more making my own favors than I would've if I'd just bought them, but that whole thing was a train wreck to begin with anyway. But doing my own flowers and invitations? Yup, much cheaper. And if someone is looking to cut their spending by doing DIY everything, I really doubt there's room in their budget for a wedding planner, most of the time. 
  • We are trying to keep our wedding very cheap by doing everything ourselves. We aren't sure how to find someone to officiate our wedding. 
    Wedding = bride, groom, officiant, license, witnesses.

If you want to have guests, you must have a reception.  Cake and punch is perfectly proper in the middle of the afternoon.  You must also have a chair for each guest.

OP, just what kind of wedding are you planning?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards