Plus-Sized

Any other brides 26/28+ who did not fit any DB gowns?

I went in for my consult at David's Bridal and the lady was really kind and we found that everything was fine, but my HIPS are way too large even for their size 30. Ugh. So long story short, I have hired a seamstress to create my dream wedding dress, and it's a lot cheaper than I thought. 

My question to those of us "extra fluffy" (size 26/28+) brides, what did you end up doing for a gown? Custom Made? Another line? I'm curious because I am considering looking at another gown for the heck of it for back up.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Any other brides 26/28+ who did not fit any DB gowns?

• How were you putting the dresses on? I found that I couldn't get DB dresses over my hips, but if I put it on from above my head it worked out fine.
  • The consultant didn't even try a dress on me because she knew it would be more of a pain (and I agreed) even if we went above the head. No way would any of them fit, and unfortunately they did not have a 30 (not that it would have mattered anyhow). I have a big butt. LOL.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2014
    mori lee  and bonny go up to a 32 you might have better luck trying dresses on from those designers 
    and they are very affordable around 500-1500
  • Is the other brand named Bonny? Or is it Mori Lee & Bonny? Thank you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi there. I will say that my sister is having us (bridesmaids) purchase a dress from JJsHouse visit: http://www.jjshouse.com they can be made to order. The bridesmaids dresses came in and they look amazing and fit perfectly! We were really pleased because we had never heard of JJsHouse but the dresses actually fit like they were tailor made (I mean after all, they are) but the fabric, color, everything about the dress looks great. 
  • Thank you for the recommendation! i will check it out! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dignity100Dignity100 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2014
    @vegasbride2015 - JJ's House has a HORRIBLE Reputation - see post:
    http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1036575/jjshouse-wedding-dresses#latest

@KnotPorsha - Possible vendor - only 1 reply promoting JJ's House

Anniversary
  • @Dignity100 thank you for the head's up! I appreciate it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So I fell in love with a couple of Mori Lee dresses, but same problem. Even at a size 32W, my hips won't fit the dress. Argh. Ever since menopause (forced/surgical, total hysterectomy in 2009 due to cancer risk), my hips are my biggest problem area. I've lost weight and inches everywhere else except my hips. 

I am going to buy some lace for my dress and see if we can incorporate that into my custom made dress...and maybe some rhinestones or something. Keeping an open mind and thinking outside of the box!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What styles are you looking at and how off is it?  If it's just off by a little bit, you still might be able to get into an A line or ballgown.  My dress was an Allure and my hips actually measured in a size larger than I ordered (everything but my hips measured in at an 18, my hips a 20); because it was a ballgown it didn't matter that my hips needed a larger size (the shop made the recommendation and tried me in the same designer/shape before they placed the order just to make sure they weren't misleading me).  If the shop tells you 'don't do it' though - take their advice!!

Anniversary
  • It is off by like 10 inches, but that's not the only problem. The dresses I looked at are way out of my budget, I have seen them on other bridal shop pages and yikes. If I am paying for a custom made dress I won't have room for another. When I was at DB, the sales lady (who was very friendly) said she didn't want to put me through getting into whatever they could possibly attempt to get me into because it still might not fit. I appreciated that.

Thank you for your advice, that is so good to know.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • While I've never ordered from them, a girlfriend had all of her bridesmaids dresses ordered from JJs House. The maid of honor is a plus sized gal and her dress looked great! The wedding was in June and the girls were all a range of sizes. I didn't hear one complaint about JJ's house from any of the girls and the maid of honor told me to check out their wedding dresses. While I haven't completely made up my mind on where I'm getting it, I will keep that place as an option. And no, I'm not a vendor or anything like that lol I'm just offering a review.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I ordered an Allure dress and really love it! I just went in for my fitting today, and I'm really happy with the decision! The price is reasonable too, I think mine was around $560ish before alterations. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I forgot bout this thread. I went to my seamstress yesterday and feel more at ease knowing I have found my dress and she will be making it. Will be around $550-700 in the end. So excited!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am hopefully looking at a Roz La Klein dress, they are having a trunk show at the end of the month and I am hoping that the dress will be much closer to my price range with that show and they go up to a 44....fingers crossed but yeah, I had trouble with DB too, I went in at the end of one of their $99 sales (and it had not even been advertised on TV) and they were pretty bare as far as sizes in the sale dresses.  All they had in anything in the store was a 24 which was pretty irritating.  I think you should have at least one dress in each size as a sample and then order from there.  My problem was my hips as well and while I think their size 30 would work on me in the dress I was looking at the one I tried on was way too short b/c of my hips and you can only get so much of a feel for what it will look like when they can't close it up in the back.  In the end I liked the top of the DB dress but not so much the pin tucking on the bottom so I continue to search.  I thought about going to one of those Mexican places that sales quinceanara dresses and having one made for me but I am really leery about that.
  • You know, we have a local place who does custom quinceanara dresses and they make GORGEOUS gowns, but yeah, custom is a gamble. I am nervous about it, but have faith in my seamstress. I just wish I knew what it would look like on me, what if I hate it? You know?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • update...I went to the trunk show this past weekend, at a plus size bridal boutique, and the largest of anything they had in stock was a 26 (still a little better than DB) and they had some beautiful gowns but it turns out the price that I saw online for the dress that I was looking at was some Chinese place that custom makes them and was totally off what the actual retail was.  I know that alot of ppl have said that $1500 was reasonable for a dress but I just can not afford that nor can I justify it so I forge ahead. 
    I was looking at JJ's House and that was what brought me back here I thought the name looked familiar and sure enough when I searched the boards I found this.  But even at JJ's House when it gives you the option to enter your measurements to have custom made it doesn't go that high on the hip measurement (like vegasbride2015 I have a big butt too...I'm cool b/c H2B happens to be a butt man lol) so now I am going crazy trying to figure out how to do this dress thing.  I really can't afford more than about $500 and I have a specific style/silhouette that I am working with.
    How did you go about finding a seamstress to do the custom?  Has anyone else had any luck with this route?  How did the dress turn out?  I really want to be able to try it on and know that it will be flattering.
  • @vaughan11715 - Have you looked at preownedweddingdresses.com and tradesy?  I looked at preowned and they had a few dresses for under $500 in 30/32.

Anniversary
  • edited December 2014
    @vaughan11715‌ I looked up seamstresses in my area. The one I originally wanted was booked and never returned my calls. So I went with another well known one. I'm nervous and won't lie. I don't know what my dress will look like on me until she makes it. It's the one thing stressing me out. It's a design I chose and is a LOT different than what I have seen in bridal stores...we will see... Edited: we don't start working on making the dress until February...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • call up some plus size bridal shops in your area or within a 2-3 hour drive and find out what the largest size samples are and see if they have anything they can get you into i am a street size 22 in bottoms with big hips i was able to fit into 18s 20s 22s they did not lace up all the way or zipper but i got a feel for how it looked with the larger sizes 24s 26s 28s and 30s they could fully button or lace up the dress and some of them they had to clip beacuse it was so huge 

just because you are a larger size does not mean they cant get you into some samples in the size 28 and 30 
  • update...I went to the trunk show this past weekend, at a plus size bridal boutique, and the largest of anything they had in stock was a 26 (still a little better than DB) and they had some beautiful gowns but it turns out the price that I saw online for the dress that I was looking at was some Chinese place that custom makes them and was totally off what the actual retail was.  I know that alot of ppl have said that $1500 was reasonable for a dress but I just can not afford that nor can I justify it so I forge ahead. 
    I was looking at JJ's House and that was what brought me back here I thought the name looked familiar and sure enough when I searched the boards I found this.  But even at JJ's House when it gives you the option to enter your measurements to have custom made it doesn't go that high on the hip measurement (like vegasbride2015 I have a big butt too...I'm cool b/c H2B happens to be a butt man lol) so now I am going crazy trying to figure out how to do this dress thing.  I really can't afford more than about $500 and I have a specific style/silhouette that I am working with.
    How did you go about finding a seamstress to do the custom?  Has anyone else had any luck with this route?  How did the dress turn out?  I really want to be able to try it on and know that it will be flattering.
    JJs House is notoriously bad.  They are mentioned quite often on the BridesBeware facebook page.  Just because you give them your measurements, doesn't mean that's what you'll actually get.  And then you've wasted a few hundred dollars on something unwearable.  

This dress is in stock in a 30/32

this is in stock up to a size 36

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards