Attire & Accessories Forum

anyone ever notice on syttd that they dont have much gowns under 2000

for those of us who watch syttd have you ever noticed when the consultant asks her budget and what kind a dress she wants they will bring items close to her budget or slightly over and when she rejects them they will say we dont have much options for that in your price range and you wont find much for that price. ugh there are plenty of gown manufactures that make stunning dresses under 2000 

they are supposed to be the mecca of bridal shopping at one time they had  mori lees julietta line for plus sizes ( i saw an older syttd and the bride was wearing my gown) but since mori lee has gowns primarily under 2000 they dont carry them

i remember one time a bride coming on the show and saying her budget was around 900 the sales lady looked at her funny but they found her a gown off the rack

when i started my dress shopping i had that lets go to nyc moment because i knew they had a large plus size selection but knowing i could not afford there gowns i did not want to waste my time plus i think some of the dresses dont even look like they are worth all that money

anyone else notice what i do 

Re: anyone ever notice on syttd that they dont have much gowns under 2000

• I've noticed. Not being from that area, I'm attributing it to just a general high cost of living for that region.  I'm in a different metro area with plenty of high-end bridal shops, but there are those that exist too with gowns $1500 and below.  
    SYTTD Atlanta normally shows brides in the $1500 range more than the really high-end range.

I also think, for Kleinfelds and the purpose of reality TV, that it's going to be partially about escapism. I can't afford a dress worth several thousand but it sure is fun to see the gorgeous (and fugly) gowns that other women are fortunate enough to afford.  For people who don't want to watch the financially-fortunate buy designer dresses, there's I Found The Gown.    

• Yes. Seems like most of the budgets are $2500+ (many seem to be in the $3-5000 range). Not sure if I've ever seen a dress less than 2K on the show (though I haven't seen them all of course), so I imagine Kleinfelds just doesn't carry dresses anymore for less. I went to a variety of bridal salons and one had minimum dress prices of about $2000. I imagine it's just like any store that selects which designers they wish to carry and then that frames the prices. I am always a bit shocked when I hear some of the budgets ($10k! or even Unlimited!) 
  • They're very open about their price points on their website. They primarily carry gowns from $2000 and up. Not particularly surprising to me, there are lots of salons at all different kinds of price points.
  • Like another poster said, they brand themselves as a high-end bridal salon so it wouldn't make sense for them to carry inexpensive gowns.  And if you decide to shop at such a well known bridal salon in the heart of NYC you should expect to spend a larger amount then what you would at a smaller salon outside the city.

• CMGragain said:
    I love it!  I deliberately watched SYTTD with DH in the room before going to shop for daughter's dress.  DH was in shock.  When I returned to tell him her dress cost less than $1000, he was relieved, and that's one battle I didn't have to fight with Mr. Cheapskate.
    This! I felt very proud of myself when I spent a couple hundred less than $1000 on my dress+belt+tax (I know you can get a lovely dress for $20 and call it a day, so SYTTD made me feel better about my $800ish purchase.) Plus the pater was quite pleased (he was also used to the SYTTD prices he had seen when forced to watch it with my mom and me.) Not to mention the future in laws! They were impressed with my "frugality." Win!
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    Kleinfeld's is an upscale bridal boutique that sells high end bridal dresses and has a clientele that can easily spend that much money on a dress. A few thousand dollars on a wedding dress is nothing to them because they just live a much more privileged lifestyle  Kleinfeld has been in NYC for decades and has always maintained that reputation.   

I'm from the area (well, just outside of it) and I can tell you there are people that have that much money.  It's also part of the living in the Northeast, the cost of living is just higher.   I couldn't find a single wedding dress at a mid-range bridal shop that cost less than $1,200.   The only place I found less expensive dresses was at David's Bridal.  

I personally would not shop for my wedding dress in NYC or anywhere within the suburbs (unless you live there and it's just more convenient in the long run). 
    OP, is, like me, from CT. So, we should both know all about living in the Northeast ;)

I'm originally from a pricey/ fancy schmancy part of CT. The stores are all pretty much high end with a few others sprinkled in (I'm assuming! I couldn't find them). There are also towns not too far away that have stores that have less high end prices.

Some stores are high end and carry expensive designers, some aren't and carry designers that are less expensive. Simple truths. Honestly, I don't understand the original complaint.
  • CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited November 2014
    Right, Kleinfeld only carries gowns $2500 and up, because they are a high end boutique.  Just like Saks carries more expensive brands than JCPenney.  There are even higher end stores in NYC, like Mark Ingram Atelier, where the dresses *start* at $5k and go up from there.  My budget was $6k so I didn't bother going there because I knew my selection would be limited.  There are also stores in NYC that carry more budget friendly brands, like RK Bridal, and there are smaller boutiques such as Jenny Yoo and Saja that have beautiful gowns under $2k.
  • I know one of the shops around here I made an appointment at asked right away on the phone what my budget was, when I asked why she basically said they keep their higher end/more expensive gowns on a different sales floor; I guess I just assumed that SYTTD was pretty much the same way.

Anniversary
  • I bought my dress at Kleinfeld and it was $1200. I almost fell off the pedestal when the consultant told me that. When you make an appointment, the confirmation email you get is rather misleading because they say that dresses START at $2500. But the consultants are there to help you find a dress that fits your budget.
  • Yeah, and Nieman Marcus doesn't sell $2 Hanes. So?

• My POINT is that there are dresses for under $2,000.
  • I bought my dress at Kleinfeld and it was $1200. I almost fell off the pedestal when the consultant told me that. When you make an appointment, the confirmation email you get is rather misleading because they say that dresses START at $2500. But the consultants are there to help you find a dress that fits your budget.
    Was this a sample dress?  Kleinfeld also told me that dresses start at $2500--why would they give out incorrect information?
    I bought my dress at Kleinfeld and it was $1200. I almost fell off the pedestal when the consultant told me that. When you make an appointment, the confirmation email you get is rather misleading because they say that dresses START at $2500. But the consultants are there to help you find a dress that fits your budget.

• @crazycatlady3 i think they do that so you can expect to pay more for a gown they want to up-sell the more expensive ones.

i got married in june and i found my gown locally and purchased a gown from the mori lee julietta line with the dress alterations extra lace strap and veil i spent 1400 total on everything  
  • My POINT is that there are dresses for under $2,000.
    Nobody disputed your point. My post wasn't directed at you; if it was, I would have quoted you.

Was this a sample dress?  Kleinfeld also told me that dresses start at $2500--why would they give out incorrect information?
    No it wasn't a sample. And I have no idea why they do that. Maybe so they don't get anyone's hopes up? I have no clue.
  • That's because Kleinfeld's is a HIGH END bridal store. If they wanted more of a selection under $2,000, they should shop at a local boutique or David's Bridal.
  • I LOVE SYTTD, don't get me wrong, and yes, I get that it's a higher end store in the Northeat with higher end stock.

However, I can't help but think that part of the reason Kleinfeld's is the featured store is so that the media/fashion industry will brainwash us into thinking that that's the normal and acceptable price range and anything else is "less than" Hell I've even caught myself looking at dresses and saying "$800? Well, there must be something wrong with it..."

Blame it on the Illuminati!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • On SYTTD I watched a lady spend $30000 on a dress. Guuurl.
  • paimboeuf said:
    People have one thing in common, they are all different. 
    On the same collection of evidence each of the witnesses had placed a different construction.
    So don’t care 

• edited November 2014
    Kleinfeld carries mostly higher-end designers, but they do have some dresses between $2000.00-$3000.00. They're also really good about telling you the price-range of their dresses online so you don't have to wonder if they one you've fallen in love with is unattainable. I liked dresses from there that were $10000, but since that wasn't in my budget, I didn't even bother looking at those or trying them on.

I began my dress search there, but also went to various other locations, ranging in price and selection from a super high-end boutique where dresses started at $5000.00 (and that was low!) to stores that carried mostly dresses under $1000.00. I have to say that while I noticed great quality in the Kelinfeld service and selection, you never know what will be the right dress for you. Price isn't everything. The super expensive place I went to was such a fail. I genuinely couldn't find a single dress or style that I liked. They weren't even avant-garde as much as they were uninspiring. Kleinfeld almost worked for me (I was so close to signing!), but then I ended up sleeping on it and getting a completely different dress at a different boutique for half the price.

I do have to say that Kleinfeld's staff was wonderful and extremely accommodating. I didn't find them to be fake or pushy at all, which was kind of my fear after watching the show.
  • paimboeuf said:
    On the same collection of evidence each of the witnesses had placed a different construction.
    So don’t care 
    Seems reasonable.

• atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    There's also an element of "experience."  Going to a boutique store is supposed to involve glasses of champagne, comfy couches to sit on, spaced out dressing rooms, and staff that acts more like a gown concierge than a sales clerk.  

Going to David's is more like watching harried sales staff drag dresses in between people's screaming children and sitting on a plain chair with a wall of changing rooms.  But yes, you can save money.

Just because there are cheap coach tickets on Frontier doesn't mean that some people would rather pay for Virgin Atlantic Business or First Class.  I, too, don't get the OP's point.  Go to the store that fits your taste and budget.  

P.S.--OP, read and learn.  http://grammarist.com/usage/many-much/
  • paimboeuf said:
    So don’t care 

Sounds like she pasted the original post into google translate to get it into x language, and then pasted her response into google translate to get it into English.  Doing that is worse than a game of a telephone!

(I smell a vendor, but I won't call it yet because she hasn't posted about any knock off sites in the five posts she's made so far.)
  • I bought my dress at Kleinfeld's.  They tell you when you make your appointment that their dresses start at $2500.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards