Chit Chat

RANT: Rawr Birth Control and Insurance

Re: RANT: Rawr Birth Control and Insurance

• Doesn't your own job offer a plan that will cover it? 

I'm sure it's super illegal to send you all the spare packs I'll have once I stop taking mine in a couple weeks. :-p
    Eeeks! This makes me giddy excited! I know your TK loyal, but pretty please with sugar on top, come over to TH and start posting on the TTC board (…quickly followed by the expecting board when you quickly get knocked up ;) ). 
    Ahhhh thanks @SmileDamnit! I'm trying not to even admit it to myself too much yet. Sometimes I go to lurk on TTC and slap my wrist like NO LOLO, not yet! I'm weirdly superstitious about it all.
    We'll be waiting with open arms when you're ready! Seriously, there's a great group of women who make awesome "baby makin'" cheerleaders.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Doesn't your own job offer a plan that will cover it? 

I'm sure it's super illegal to send you all the spare packs I'll have once I stop taking mine in a couple weeks. :-p
    Eeeks! This makes me giddy excited! I know your TK loyal, but pretty please with sugar on top, come over to TH and start posting on the TTC board (…quickly followed by the expecting board when you quickly get knocked up ;) ). 
    Ahhhh thanks @SmileDamnit! I'm trying not to even admit it to myself too much yet. Sometimes I go to lurk on TTC and slap my wrist like NO LOLO, not yet! I'm weirdly superstitious about it all.
    You know there's a BOTB board over there...right? I'm just saying....

I haven't started posting on the TTC board yet either, I'm like no no, not until it's official. 
  • MagicInk said:
    Doesn't your own job offer a plan that will cover it? 

I haven't started posting on the TTC board yet either, I'm like no no, not until it's official. 
    Dude I can't even admit to having BOTB or every female in my life jumps all over it and I think even talking about it will somehow jinx me. People ask me about it all the time and I just have to shrug and say "ohhh SOMEday!" or else I worry they'll climb up into my uterus just to keep track. Bitches be trippin.

• MagicInk said:

Dude I can't even admit to having BOTB or every female in my life jumps all over it and I think even talking about it will somehow jinx me. People ask me about it all the time and I just have to shrug and say "ohhh SOMEday!" or else I worry they'll climb up into my uterus just to keep track. Bitches be trippin.
    Yay other peeps TTC'ing! I also haven't gone over to TB yet.
  • sarahufl said:
    MagicInk said:

*raises hand*
    Another TTC-er here.  I'm scared of the Bump, though.  I'm in a Facebook group for people who practice NFP, and they are my TTC cheerleaders.
  • Well I just feel left out. I wish we were trying :(

image   image   image

• Well I just feel left out. I wish we were trying :(
    Well, I wish we were house hunting or building. But we can live vicariously through each other! 

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    Is there a reason why you can't stay on your currrent insurance?  DH & I each have our own insurance plans.

Otherwise, I'm with @sarahufl regarding NFP.  But then again, we are currently TTC, so it's not a burden for us.  Even if we were TTA, though, we'd still do it.  (Yes, I'm Catholic & that is the main reason why we do NFP.  But, when I was on the Pill in my early 20s, I had high blood pressure and heart palpitations, so I won't take it again).
    I can no longer be covered on my parents insurance due to turning 26 this coming year. And DH only has one open enrollment for benefits, so it has to be now.
    Are you sure it has to be now? I am staying on my parents' health insurance until I am 26. I  just got a new job. I am eligible to enroll in January 2015 in my employer provided health insurance, and I thought that I would have to enroll then or in October 2015 when they do open enrollment. Turns out that is not the case. I'm getting married May 2015, and I won't turn 26 until June 2015.  In the insurance person's words (from my employer's insurance): "You can stay on your parent's insurance until you turn 26, then you need to send us a xyz letter (can't remember what it is called) from your parent's insurance company. Then when you get married, you can add your husband to your insurance."

So basically, enrollment period didn't matter when it came to the big life change that is turning 26.

In the long run, you'll still have to figure the birth control thing out... but double check with your husband's insurance to make sure that you can't be added on at the last moment.

ETA: I was on Trinessa for years. I liked it, but still experienced a monthly break out. I switched to a generic of Estrostep in the hopes of that not being an issue. I like it a lot as well, but, still have a monthly breakout.

I had acne before starting birth control when I was a young teen, and then I started birth control as a later-teenager since I only got my period every 6 months or so. Because of this, I have no idea if the birth control is what causes the breakouts or if that is just me.  The monthly breakout really isn't that bad. A few extra pimples. Honestly, I think that is just my lot in life and has nothing to do with side effects from birth control, in which case, Trinessa was great.
  • Slow your roll, ladies…no one said anything about TB. Bump be scary!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @holyguacamole79

We do NFP for TTA for over 4 years now. I am currently slacking because im in med school and my thermometer got fkd up so we cover up all the time but I still track CM, CP, and other signs!

• @janiv123, you speak my language, lady!  ;)
  • sarahufl said:
    MagicInk said:

I went over to TB. 

TB is not for me. One most know everything about conceiving a child before actually trying. And I mean everything, doctor level shit here. And do not even began to think you might get pregnant right away. Nope, nope, nope, that shit can take a year for normal healthy couples and you might not be normal or healthy. 

It's just seems so fucking negative.
  • lilacck28 said:
    Is there a reason why you can't stay on your currrent insurance?  DH & I each have our own insurance plans.

Otherwise, I'm with @sarahufl regarding NFP.  But then again, we are currently TTC, so it's not a burden for us.  Even if we were TTA, though, we'd still do it.  (Yes, I'm Catholic & that is the main reason why we do NFP.  But, when I was on the Pill in my early 20s, I had high blood pressure and heart palpitations, so I won't take it again).
    I can no longer be covered on my parents insurance due to turning 26 this coming year. And DH only has one open enrollment for benefits, so it has to be now.
    Are you sure it has to be now? I am staying on my parents' health insurance until I am 26. I  just got a new job. I am eligible to enroll in January 2015, and I thought that I would have to enroll then or in October 2015 when they do open enrollment. Turns out that is not the case. I'm getting married May 2015, and I won't turn 26 until June 2015.  In the insurance person's words (from my employer's insurance): "You can stay on your parent's insurance until you turn 26, then you need a xyz letter (can't remember what it is called) from your parent's insurance company. Then when you get married, you can add your husband to your insurance."

So basically, enrollment period didn't matter when it came to the big life change that is turning 26.

In the long run, you'll still have to figure the birth control thing out... but double check with your husband's insurance to make sure that you can't be added on at the last moment.
    Yup, all of this. You would just need a certificate of creditable coverage from your previous insurance company, along with your marriage license, and you can make whatever changes necessary to your insurance (sign up through work and add your husband, go on your husband's insurance, etc). Just be mindful that you only have a 30 day window from the date of the event to make any changes (this applies for all qualifying events).
  • I took Tri-Sprintec for years and I really liked it. It's been a while, but I don't remember any awful side effects. 
  • I really liked tri-sprintec.  I'm on generic for Yaz now due to some out of control acne, but tri-sprintec is good.  So is ortho-tri-cyclen-lo, isn't tri-sprintec a generic for that? I could be wrong but I think it is!

• lilacck28 said:

Are you sure it has to be now? I am staying on my parents' health insurance until I am 26. I  just got a new job. I am eligible to enroll in January 2015, and I thought that I would have to enroll then or in October 2015 when they do open enrollment. Turns out that is not the case. I'm getting married May 2015, and I won't turn 26 until June 2015.  In the insurance person's words (from my employer's insurance): "You can stay on your parent's insurance until you turn 26, then you need a xyz letter (can't remember what it is called) from your parent's insurance company. Then when you get married, you can add your husband to your insurance."

Yup, all of this. You would just need a certificate of creditable coverage from your previous insurance company, along with your marriage license, and you can make whatever changes necessary to your insurance (sign up through work and add your husband, go on your husband's insurance, etc). Just be mindful that you only have a 30 day window from the date of the event to make any changes (this applies for all qualifying events).
    Yep. Be prepared! I'm looking at July 1, 2015 as my enrollment date (aka, the first of the month after I turn 26) so I'll be getting all necessary forms and mailing things in prior to that. 
  • So many of you are not 26 yet. I feel old.

I'm only 28 but I still feel old. Mostly because I haven't been covered by my parents since I was like...23....
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    MagicInk said:
    So many of you are not 26 yet. I feel old.

I'm only 28 but I still feel old. Mostly because I haven't been covered by my parents since I was like...23....
    Thanks Obama! And yes, I am young. Sometimes It makes me feel weird, since I (and FI) tend to have the habits and social life of 70 years olds. We like it that way.
  • MagicInk said:

I'm 35.  And I was last covered by my parents when I was 21. 

• So you got me curious....sugargirl listed off all of the ingredients and said she prefers ones that only contain this and not this......do all of you know what type yours is? Because I read that and it was like fucking Chinese to me. I just take a pill, the same one for 9 years and I have not a clue what kind it is or what's in it. I just know I haven't gotten pregnant so I keep taking it.

I'm also jealous that people are still on their parent's insurance. I'm too old now but when I was 22 and got my first real career job they said you're an adult now you pay your rent and your car so you're damn well paying for your own health insurance.

• MagicInk said:

Pfffft. Almost 32 over here and haven't been on my parents' insurance since I turned 18. 
  • jenna8984 said:

So you got me curious....sugargirl listed off all of the ingredients and said she prefers ones that only contain this and not this......do all of you know what type yours is? Because I read that and it was like fucking Chinese to me. I just take a pill, the same one for 9 years and I have not a clue what kind it is or what's in it. I just know I haven't gotten pregnant so I keep taking it.

I'm also jealous that people are still on their parent's insurance. I'm too old now but when I was 22 and got my first real career job they said you're an adult now you pay your rent and your car so you're damn well paying for your own health insurance.

All I know is that I'm on lo-esterin FE - not a single clue what's in it. I'm only on it because I'm convinced that the pill destroyed my sex drive and the gynocologist didn't believe me so this was her compromise. Definitely going to try an IUD here soon.

I miss the days of being on my parents health insurance - all copays and no cost out of my paycheck. Sadly, that hasn't been the case since I graduated college. I went 8 months without and of course got a horrible sinus infection that cost me hundreds of dollars right before my new insurance kicked in. Could've been worse but it still sucked.

• Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014

jenna8984 said:

So you got me curious....sugargirl listed off all of the ingredients and said she prefers ones that only contain this and not this......do all of you know what type yours is? Because I read that and it was like fucking Chinese to me. I just take a pill, the same one for 9 years and I have not a clue what kind it is or what's in it. I just know I haven't gotten pregnant so I keep taking it.

All I know is that I'm on lo-esterin FE - not a single clue what's in it. I'm only on it because I'm convinced that the pill destroyed my sex drive and the gynocologist didn't believe me so this was her compromise. Definitely going to try an IUD here soon.

I miss the days of being on my parents health insurance - all copays and no cost out of my paycheck. Sadly, that hasn't been the case since I graduated college. I went 8 months without and of course got a horrible sinus infection that cost me hundreds of dollars right before my new insurance kicked in. Could've been worse but it still sucked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lo Estrin Fe is also norethindrone/ ethinyl estradiol. Yours is 1 mg of the progestin and 20 MCG of the estrogen. Lo LoEstrin Fe is 1mg/10 mcg. The Fe stands for iron, which is the brown pills at the end. Iron for your period :)

I used to be on a medicine with 35 mcg of ethinyl estradiol (estrogen) and it made me fucking crazy. Haha. I like to be as low as i can on that!

Also I'm crazy and LOVE the endocrine system. Hormones fascinate me!

image   image   image

• I think most of us youngins' are very aware of how lucky we are that the new cutoff became 26. Though, this still didn't help everyone ...FI didn't stay on his parent's insurance, since we were living in DC for a few years and his parents' insurance really only covered CT doctors. Affordable Care Act made it possible for him to get some for himself. 

Though there are still so many problems with our health care/ insurance. Anyone else read this NY Times article?  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/us/drive-by-doctoring-surprise-medical-bills.html 
  • My work insurance doesn't cover any Rx - you have to buy a separate plan, and that monthly payment is more than I pay out of pocket for my BC. Do you know how much the out of pocket cost would be for the one you like? Mine is about $40/month. 

I was spoiled rotten on my last two insurance plans. I had no idea that if they didn't cover an Rx at all then they don't have to cover BC. I'm swapping to DFs in the new year, and it covers everything, hurray!
  • My work insurance doesn't cover any Rx - you have to buy a separate plan, and that monthly payment is more than I pay out of pocket for my BC. Do you know how much the out of pocket cost would be for the one you like? Mine is about $40/month. 

I was spoiled rotten on my last two insurance plans. I had no idea that if they didn't cover an Rx at all then they don't have to cover BC. I'm swapping to DFs in the new year, and it covers everything, hurray!
    Lo LoEstrin Fe is 127 or something a month. It's redonkulous.

I'm finding out more and more secrets about the insurance by having DH talk to them. There are copays for generics (20 a month for 90 day mail order). My original Lo LoEstrin Fe is 100 dollars every 90 days though.

So we will talk tonight whether we want to spend the 100 every 3 months, for 10 MCG if estrogen or if we want to risk it and try the higher generic level with 20 MCG of estrogen, and pay 20 every 3 months. It does not count towards our out of pocket maximum.

Thanks for all the info about not needing to switch insurance now - I didn't know that and now know it's an option. I would rather just get DH and myself all on our own than tag along on my parents insurance for birth control.

image   image   image

• Tax accountants, keep me honest, but I thought I read that there were some rules around staying on your parents' insurance after you're married, as far as taxes are concerned. Like being on their insurance makes you their dependent in some regards, so then your spouse can't claim you as a deduction?? Or maybe I'm confusing that with HAVING a child... IDK. I should stop talking out of my ass.

• I was on Tri-cyclin.  No side affects for me, other than less acne, but that was why I went on it in the first place.  My insurance is fucked up too.  My copper/non-hormonal IUD has a DIN (drug identification number), so you have to have a prescription, but cos it's not actually drugs, it's not covered by the insurance.  I claim it through health spending instead.  It's about $200.  If it's not drugs/covered, then why does it have a DIN??  All/most other BC is covered though, since I never paid for BCP's.  

• Tax accountants, keep me honest, but I thought I read that there were some rules around staying on your parents' insurance after you're married, as far as taxes are concerned. Like being on their insurance makes you their dependent in some regards, so then your spouse can't claim you as a deduction?? Or maybe I'm confusing that with HAVING a child... IDK. I should stop talking out of my ass.

I thought something along those lines too, that since I'm not living in their house anymore and am married and we both have jobs.. I thought it was insurance fraud or something.

image   image   image

• I have to agree with the Planned Parenthood Suggestions. I was in a similar situation where I was coming to the end of being covered on my parents, and didn't have any other option, I had been on a pill and didn't want to miss a day or change anything. I went to Planned Parenthood and couldn't be happier that I did. They have a sliding scale for cost, and personally I think it is really generious in income amounts. They also do pills by the mail, I think it is called C-Mail I don't know a lot about it because I switched to the depo shot.

Another thing I like is they require you to have a yearly exam, which includes a breast exam, std test, pap, etc. These are tests I feel I need but being honest, I would never go if it wasn't a requirement.

I would do some looking into it, of course if you are comfortable with it. I think there are other options out there for you, but you like me, only know what you are used too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards