Chit Chat
Options

The impossible gift recipient

novella1186novella1186 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited November 2014 in Chit Chat
I started Christmas shopping early to be able to space out my purchases so I don't get stuck with one giant credit card bill. Usually I know people's hobbies or interests well enough that I can figure out at lease a few nice things for them. But every. Single. Year. Shopping for my dad is a stressful nightmare. 

It's like trying to shop for Sheldon Cooper. He's extremely particular and extremely anal, and if he doesn't like the gift he will straight-up say so. Can't get him food cuz that's one of the easy go-to gifts so EVERYONE gets him food stuff (spices, dry rubs, roasted nuts, chocolates, caramels, etc) and then most of it just ends up sitting in the pantry for years till he throws it out. Yes, years. Can't get him wine cuz he's a wine collector and has an entire wine cellar packed full of some very valuable bottles. I don't have the money to buy anything remotely as nice as the wine he already has. He goes fishing, but he is EXTREMELY particular about which fishing gear he uses. He grills, but I already got him a new set of grill accessories, grill gloves, cedar chips, wood planks, etc etc etc over the past couple years. We even bought him a new grill for father's day. He hated it. We returned it.

*Edited the title because brain thinking hard

Tools are out. He has more tools than a hardware store. Ties are out. He's retired. I've already gotten him a ton of golf stuff. Last year I got him a nice pair of gloves but so did my mom and it made him angry to receive two pairs of gloves. He actually got angry. I've made him paintings, I spent quite a lot of time on a drawing and paid to have it matted and framed so it looked nice, and I've had nice photos blown up and framed. He does not hang these up. I don't know what has happened to any of them because I never see them again which leads me to believe he did not like any of them. 

He will only use one particular razor. He hates pajamas. He hates slippers. He hates board games. I've gotten him movies but he doesn't watch them. I've tried getting him tickets to see his favorite hockey team but they're too expensive these days, even the bad seats. Usually I end up buying him a boring sweatshirt or something like that. He will not wear a new watch because he likes his old one. When we buy him watches, he makes us return them. 

Important note: He HATES gift certificates. With a passion. He takes them as an insult; says that it shows the gift giver didn't care enough to put any thought into an actual gift. 

TLDR: what do you buy for the person who doesn't like anything and hates gift cards??? 

Re: The impossible gift recipient

• Options
    Check out Uncommon Goods. They have great, unique gift ideas. They can be kind of pricey, but it will hopefully at least give you some ideas.
  • Options
    kat1114 said:
    Check out Uncommon Goods. They have great, unique gift ideas. They can be kind of pricey, but it will hopefully at least give you some ideas.
    I love that website! And yeah, I looked through a lot of the stuff. No purchases made :( At least not for Mr Impossible. 
  • Options
    seriously, I would give him a GC to a place he likes to shop and when he gets pissy I would go "welp dad, then make me a wish list and i will start going off of that" 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My dad is hard to buy for as well, and he usually says he doesn't need anything when asked what he wants. Or he says he just wants a hug. (Of course he gets all shirty if someone doesn't give him a list to buy from.)

I have taken to either taking him out to dinner at a place he likes that my mom won't go to (Thai or a Mexican place). He likes getting to go somewhere he usually doesn't and he gets to spend time with me.

The other thing I do is offer to make some meals he likes in particular that my mom doesn't make because she can't eat it. Things like spicy food, Asian dishes, stuff with lots of onion and garlic, etc. He likes that for the same reasons he likes me taking him out.
  • Options
    I'd tell him you're taking him out for a nice dinner, and do that. Go somewhere with the kind of food he likes and have good food and conversation.

We've done that in the past with our parents (who are way over things of any kind) and it seems like the most well-received option. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly if someone is going to be so rude about receiving a GIFT I wouldn't give them anything. Seeing as this is your dad, maybe just give cash?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Wow. He sounds rude! 

What about something for preparing the fish? Like kitchen shears (LINK) or a grill pan (LINK).

Honestly I would have given up by this point with the way he treats the gifts you have gotten him. I can't believe he made you return gifts. 

Make sure to include a gift receipt with whatever you get him!
    Anniversary

• Options
    seriously, I would give him a GC to a place he likes to shop and when he gets pissy I would go "welp dad, then make me a wish list and i will start going off of that" 
    This! ^^ except I'd skip the first part and just straight up ask him to start making wish lists. I never know what to get for my dad. It's not that he's particularly picky, I just never know what he'd like.  He doesn't have a lot of hobbies or anything like that.  My family always does the wish list thing.
  • Options
    Oh no. Wish lists are "so incredibly rude" for the same reasons as gift cards. *eye roll
  • Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    amelisha said:
    I'd tell him you're taking him out for a nice dinner, and do that. Go somewhere with the kind of food he likes and have good food and conversation.

We've done that in the past with our parents (who are way over things of any kind) and it seems like the most well-received option. 
    For normal people this would be a great idea. My dad and I don't always get along so well and I've never been able to have an actual conversation with him. If we spend too much time talking to each other it usually turns into a fight. But that doesn't happen too often cuz most of the time it's just long awkward silences. It's complicated.
  • Options
    Honestly if someone is going to be so rude about receiving a GIFT I wouldn't give them anything. Seeing as this is your dad, maybe just give cash?

penguin44 said:
    Wow. He sounds rude! 

What about something for preparing the fish? Like kitchen shears (LINK) or a grill pan (LINK).

Honestly I would have given up by this point with the way he treats the gifts you have gotten him. I can't believe he made you return gifts. 

Make sure to include a gift receipt with whatever you get him!
    Yep. The older he gets, the more he seriously acts like a toddler. Yesterday I was at my parents' house (a couple hours from where I live) and they were talking about wedding stuff. My dad started telling a story about his wedding (which he seriously tells FI and me EVERY time wedding stuff comes up) and my moms says "oh you're not seriously telling that story again are you?!" He stood up and said "FINE! Then I won't talk at all!" and stomped out of the room muttering and dropping F bombs. I could not believe the childish reaction, and for basically no reason. So yeah. Difficult situation. The only reason I get him gifts is because I'm pretty good at picking out nice gifts for my mom, and I don't want to leave my dad out and make him feel bad.
  • Options
    You don't happen to have Spock's DNA, do you?
  • Options
    I'd honestly take him to dinner, and if he makes a stink about how it's not a good enough gift, then feel free to lose your temper at him. Because seriously.

We've been transitioning to gifting experiences instead of things, especially because it means that we can repeat gifts every year. J's dad loves that for Father's Day every year, the two of us take him to dinner (we wait until J's mother is away for the summer, when his dad gets a little lonely, and take him for a really nice seafood dinner).
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    Does he like events? Can you buy him tickets to a wine festival? a concert? a play? I'm not sure where you live, here, I like to give people tickets to our Wine Train.
  • Options
    Does he like events? Can you buy him tickets to a wine festival? a concert? a play? I'm not sure where you live, here, I like to give people tickets to our Wine Train.
    He does seasonal tickets to a Shakespeare theater and other than that he doesn't like plays. I can't afford tickets to his favorite hockey team anymore cuz they've gotten insanely expensive. He generally hates crowds so festivals are out. This is like an unsolvable riddle
  • Options
    You mentioned he collects wine. Would a wine tasting or visiting a winery be an option?

Anniversary
  • Options
    You mentioned he collects wine. Would a wine tasting or visiting a winery be an option?
    You might be onto something there...
  • Options
    how about a hug? Cause yeah . . . nothing else seems to really satisfy the guy or it just straight up pisses him off. 

Gosh, Isn't it common courtesy to accept a gift with a thank you and if you don't like it, return it yourself and don't complain about it in front of the givers. That sounds so rude to me to literally grouch about a gift someone gave you.

I know one guy who absolutely hates receiving gifts and he has accepted them and just accumulated them in his closet un-open. Hopefully no one got him a fish or a puppy or something. Anyway, guess what he is getting for his birthday at the end of November? Nothing and he will probably be the happiest man on earth because of it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Have you checked on StubHub for the hockey tickets? I usually find much better prices on there. It's not as "fancy" as getting them through Ticketmaster or whatever, but it still gets him into the game. 

Since he HAS a favorite hockey team, though, can you get him something to do with that? Like a signed, framed thing or something? What team is it? 

Otherwise, I'd be buying him a bunch of shit from http://mcphee.com/shop/ and call it a day. If you wanna be a pain in the ass about thoughtful gifts, you get bacon body wash. 
  • Options
    If he likes to golf, what about buying him a round at his local golf course? 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options

wine accessories? a very nice wine glass?

I'd do some more shopping on hockey ticket deals too

otherwise, somewhere he frequents like the golf course or a specific winery or something, if he has an account, can you put money on his account? I did this once for a friend at the place she always went to tan. At the beginning of the month she went to pay and didn't owe!!

• Options
    If he likes to golf, what about buying him a round at his local golf course? 
    He belongs to a country club :(
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    Have you checked on StubHub for the hockey tickets? I usually find much better prices on there. It's not as "fancy" as getting them through Ticketmaster or whatever, but it still gets him into the game. 

Since he HAS a favorite hockey team, though, can you get him something to do with that? Like a signed, framed thing or something? What team is it? 

Otherwise, I'd be buying him a bunch of shit from http://mcphee.com/shop/ and call it a day. If you wanna be a pain in the ass about thoughtful gifts, you get bacon body wash. 
    The Chicago Black Hawks. Ever since they won the cup (twice) their tickets have shot up in price. I went to a game in high school for $15. Now it's like $200. These are good ideas...
  • Options
    shanliann said:

wine accessories? a very nice wine glass?

I'd do some more shopping on hockey ticket deals too

otherwise, somewhere he frequents like the golf course or a specific winery or something, if he has an account, can you put money on his account? I did this once for a friend at the place she always went to tan. At the beginning of the month she went to pay and didn't owe!!

Yep. I've gotten him a million bottle openers, an electronic wine chiller that he's used once, special wine aerators that he doesn't use at all, wine stoppers, wine coasters, etc. And he went and bought himself an extremely expensive set of special wine glasses to go with the 7 other sets of wine glasses he already owns.

I'm sorry, I feel like I'm bashing everyone's ideas. You guys really do have some very amazing ideas that in most cases would be great. But when I say he's impossible to buy for, I mean it!
  • Options
    I would write him a loving letter then.
  • Options
    ohannabelleohannabelle member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Decanter Magazine. It's a British publication, so about 60 a year. Not a cheap magazine, but my mama insists it's the best wine magazine out there. 
    The added bonus is that if he complains, you can roll it up and smack him with it.
  • Options
    A book. And if he says anything other than thanks "wow. That's really rude. Next year I won't waste my time"

• Options
    esstee33 said:

The Chicago Black Hawks. Ever since they won the cup (twice) their tickets have shot up in price. I went to a game in high school for $15. Now it's like $200. These are good ideas...
    Yeah, I feel that pain with suddenly outrageous ticket prices. Too bad you can't get him tickets to the Winter Classic in DC next year! There's cool merch specific to that game that might be appreciated, though, like so: CLICKY or CLICKY 

Or just regular Blackhawks stuff, like so: THIS THING or THIS THING or THIS THING. Overstock has a few other nice things that would make good gifts. 

TBH, I just get my dad beer. He gets me beer, too. Typically for any gift-giving holiday, we each get the other a mixed 6 pack of random craft beers, and then we drink them together. That's how it's been for years and years. This will be the first year in about 10 that I won't be getting him beer and I'm hella nervous about whether or not he'll appreciate the MUCH nicer (and like 5x more expensive) gift I got him. 
  • Options

He would get jack shit from me at this point.

Correction: he would get one last gift (perhaps one of the lovely suggestions above), and then, if he decided to say something rude about it or inform you that he's returning it or that it isn't good enough, THEN I would cease giving him gifts. But not before saying, "That's it. Please never expect another gift from me again, because I will no longer tolerate being shit on every time I try to give you one."

(yes, this is the scenario in my mind. No, I probably wouldn't have the balls to say exactly that. But I would probably decline giving him anything in the future and then shrugging if he said anything about it.)

This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    We have the same dad. One year I went to the post office and bought him a stack of pre-stamped letter size (8.5") white envelopes. He loved it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards